+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Amendment paper

Aleksagirl

Oct 9, 2013
Hi everyone,
I have a very tricky situation.
I got a study permit indicating a date when I have to leave the country.
Since my program is called full-time (I'm going to study French as A Foreign Language full-time (that's what letter of admission says, but honestly it's just 15 hours per week).
Based on this I requested a study permit with a possibility to work off-campus 20 hours per week.
In a month I got a study permit which doesn't indicate that I cannot work, but it also doesn't say I may work.
If I send the amendment of my study permit, will I be still allowed to work based on that I'm still waiting for an amendment paper?
I called CIC about my study permit and they said no, you can attend school only.
Every single time they give me a different answer.
Thanks.

Aleksagirl

Oct 9, 2013
Thank you.
I read different cases and it feels like it'd better not to submit any amendment paper.
The waiting time is insane and there's no guarantee that I can get any work permit.

talhaixlam

Aug 5, 2016
Lahore, Pakistan.
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
IELTS Request
Already done - 7.0 Band DECEMBER 2015
Aleksagirl said:
Thank you.
I read different cases and it feels like it'd better not to submit any amendment paper.
The waiting time is insane and there's no guarantee that I can get any work permit.
Just take the eligibility test from the link I provided earlier and you will understand that you do or not need any work permit. I don't think your amendment letter will make any difference as you already got your study visa, If your program has Co-Op Option (it means work is the essential component of your studies) then you will need to apply for the Co-Op work permit and it will be processed along with your study permit application but according to your profile, I think your program does not have Co-Op option so In my opinion you will be able to work for 20 hours in a week If you are enrolled in a registered Canadian institution with the valid DLI number and your program is full time, so you may be eligible for 20 hours work per week without work visa stamped on passport.

<ABOVE STATEMENT IS JUST MY OPINION DO NOT MAKE ANY DECISIONS BASED ON MY OPINION>

Aleksagirl

Oct 9, 2013
Honestly I spoke with CIC and they said that a language course (even if it's full-time) does not allow you to work off campus because it isn't a post-graduate school. that's why the amendment paper is the only decision to get a note that I'm allowed to work. the problem is I read the cases when people sent the requests for amendment papers with a valid (!!!) study permit and they never got it back. Can CIC take my study permit back saying that you're asking too much? I really paid for the course and I'm attending the school.

talhaixlam

Aug 5, 2016
Lahore, Pakistan.
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
IELTS Request
Aleksagirl said:
Honestly I spoke with CIC and they said that a language course (even if it's full-time) does not allow you to work off campus because it isn't a post-graduate school. that's why the amendment paper is the only decision to get a note that I'm allowed to work. the problem is I read the cases when people sent the requests for amendment papers with a valid (!!!) study permit and they never got it back. Can CIC take my study permit back saying that you're asking too much? I really paid for the course and I'm attending the school.
I'm not really familiar with this type of situation, but I think now you can only have one option that your study permit will may allow you to work on- campus. (in the institution you are attending) I think you should try that. But, after consulting with some immigration expert by telling your whole case.

talhaixlam

Aug 5, 2016
Lahore, Pakistan.
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
IELTS Request
Aleksagirl said:
There are no on campus job, that's the problem. The college itself is a few offices in the building....
You can also think about the online learning, I mean, If you have some computer skills like building websites or software or can you do some editing or anything like that, you can join the freelancer type websites and can earn from there and there is the other way also which is by using the youtube as you can upload your own content and then you can monetize (Put Adds) your videos to earn money. You can try these options if you want, but I don't really know If its going to help.