+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ambiguous NOC

IT_GIS

Oct 16, 2017
Hi everyone.

I have studied Computer Science for six years (Intermediate + Bachelors) But then i have done MSc in Geographic Information System (GIS).

I have been working from last 3.5 years and i have been given the following titles/designation.
1. GIS Developer (web)
2. GIS Team Lead
3. GIS Expert

Other designations commonly used in Pakistan and many countries like middle East and UK ( I have done MSc from UK) are:
1. GIS Analyst.
2. GIS Engineer.

Now I have read a lot and many says look at the roles and responsibilities not at the titles. All i can see is GIS Technician/ GIS technologists - NOC 2255 (Technical occupations in geomatics and meteorology)
- which in my opinion not a managerial level but it still fulfills my role as it says:
  • Develop specialized computer software routines, Internet based GIS, database and business applications to customize geographic information
OKK!
My question is Can i apply in different NOC like 2171 and 2175 my work (and BS degree) is closely related to them too.

I hope my post will help someone in future.

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Most important things are responsibilities.

If confused email your job duties at this address

noc@workingincanada.gc.ca

They may get back to you within a week with the appropriate NOC.

Note that this is still your duty to select the right NOC which you deem fits your role.

Good Luck!

Reactions: IT_GIS

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017
Hi everyone.

I have studied Computer Science for six years (Intermediate + Bachelors) But then i have done MSc in Geographic Information System (GIS).

I have been working from last 3.5 years and i have been given the following titles/designation.
1. GIS Developer (web)
2. GIS Team Lead
3. GIS Expert

Other designations commonly used in Pakistan and many countries like middle East and UK ( I have done MSc from UK) are:
1. GIS Analyst.
2. GIS Engineer.

Now I have read a lot and many says look at the roles and responsibilities not at the titles. All i can see is GIS Technician/ GIS technologists - NOC 2255 (Technical occupations in geomatics and meteorology)
- which in my opinion not a managerial level but it still fulfills my role as it says:
  • Develop specialized computer software routines, Internet based GIS, database and business applications to customize geographic information
OKK!
My question is Can i apply in different NOC like 2171 and 2175 my work (and BS degree) is closely related to them too.

I hope my post will help someone in future.
Select your NOC carefully. Choose the one which clearly defines your roles & responsibilities. There are/were some cases in which due to faulty NOCs the respective PR App was delayed or worst refused, so I suggest to choose wisely. Good luck.

Reactions: IT_GIS