+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I qualified to apply as a self employed artistic person?

cateb

Apr 10, 2009
Hello
I am interested in applying as a self employed person. I easily make the 35 pass mark, and have sufficient funds to support myself and my husband. I am just unsure if I would qualify, and if it is a long or short process.

I have worked the last four and a bit years as a Head of Wardrobe for a professional theatre company in Australia. We build 8 shows a year, and have had touring shows from overseas and for the Fringe Festival.
During this time I opened my own business for approx one and a half years as dress designer and maker.

Before this, I spent six years as a Freelance Costume Supervisor in the film and television industry working on local and international productions.

So, almost the first of the five years I was freelance in film, then the last four and a bit years as the Head of Wardrobe, and having my own business. I also have a three year diploma in Costume Studies.
Am I eligible to apply? I did get some advice that said it was a difficult process to apply as a self employed person.
Also, if I am able to apply, can I put in my application, then enter Canada on a student visa whilst waiting for the answer?

Thanks in advance for the apply. We just can't wait to get there!!!