+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I eligible to extend work permit on the Public Policy 2023?

auli1994

Dec 4, 2023
My 'original' PGWP(which I got after completing my studies in Canada) expired on December 3rd 2022. Before it expired, I applied for extension under the Public Policy 2022 and got a new work permit which is valid until February 26th 2024.
I am talking about this link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/measures-post-graduation-work-permits-temporary-resident-permanent-resident-pathways.html

Then later on, a new Public Policy 2023 was announced https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/post-graduation-work-permit-holders/apply-in-canada.html

So after reading Public Policy 2023, it seems like I am eligible for another extension under this Policy because if you scroll down it says -

If you applied under a previous public policy for PGWP holders
Depending on when your original PGWP expired, you may also be eligible for this public policy.

If your original PGWP expired on or after September 20, 2021, and on or before December 31, 2023
You can apply under this PGWP public policy

I did apply under a previous public policy for PGWP holders and my 'original PGWP' expired on December 3rd 2022; which is between September 20, 2021, and on or before December 31, 2023.

I also know that it states that
Who can apply
To be eligible for this open work permit, you must meet the following requirements:

• Your post-graduation work permit (PGWP) expired or will expire between September 20, 2021, and December 31, 2023.

I benefited from the first public policy. And after reading the line in the 2nd public policy which says "If your original PGWP expired on or after September 20, 2021, and on or before December 31, 2023 You can apply under this PGWP public policy", it highly likely seems that I can benefit from this public policy as well.

Shall I apply? Please let me know your thought on this, appreciate it.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
My 'original' PGWP(which I got after completing my studies in Canada) expired on December 3rd 2022. Before it expired, I applied for extension under the Public Policy 2022 and got a new work permit which is valid until February 26th 2024.
I am talking about this link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/measures-post-graduation-work-permits-temporary-resident-permanent-resident-pathways.html

Then later on, a new Public Policy 2023 was announced https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/post-graduation-work-permit-holders/apply-in-canada.html

So after reading Public Policy 2023, it seems like I am eligible for another extension under this Policy because if you scroll down it says -

I did apply under a previous public policy for PGWP holders and my 'original PGWP' expired on December 3rd 2022; which is between September 20, 2021, and on or before December 31, 2023.

I benefited from the first public policy. And after reading the line in the 2nd public policy which says "If your original PGWP expired on or after September 20, 2021, and on or before December 31, 2023 You can apply under this PGWP public policy", it highly likely seems that I can benefit from this public policy as well.

But your work permit expires in February 26th 2024 "Outside eligibility Window"... How are you benefiting from 2nd public policy? I think confusion is interpretation of a word "original"

Reactions: Naturgrl

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You are not eligible. Your current work permit doesn't expire until next year. There is no point applying unless IRCC extends the public policy into 2024.

auli1994

Dec 4, 2023
But your work permit expires in February 26th 2024 "Outside eligibility Window"... How are you benefiting from 2nd public policy? I think confusion is interpretation of a word "original"
Yeah exactly, i don't know what they mean by original PGWP. Moreover in the 2023 public policy link the work original is in bold font, so that means they are emphasizing the word original

track002

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
You are not eligible. Your current work permit doesn't expire until next year. There is no point applying unless IRCC extends the public policy into 2024.
Did you mean, "unless IRCC extends the [current, 2023] public policy" till 2024? Because it'll be super unfair if they're accommodating work-permits from Sept 2021 to all the way till 2024. Mine (original work-permit) expired in Aug, 2021 and I'm out of status, literally. I don't think there will ever be any public policy to restore my status and besides, PGWP can only be extended once, under any public policy – doesn't help anyone who's permit expired before Sept 2021.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Did you mean, "unless IRCC extends the [current, 2023] public policy" till 2024? Because it'll be super unfair if they're accommodating work-permits from Sept 2021 to all the way till 2024. Mine (original work-permit) expired in Aug, 2021 and I'm out of status, literally. I don't think there will ever be any public policy to restore my status and besides, PGWP can only be extended once, under any public policy – doesn't help anyone who's permit expired before Sept 2021.
I dont think it is unfair, these public policies are temporary measure and selective. What happened to the PR Pathway since your previous work permit expired over 2 years ago, I assume you graduated 4 or 5 yrs ago. Are you not qualifying for PR? Objective of PGWP is to accumulate Incanada skilled work experience that will give you enough points in express entry or route through pnp.

track002

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
I dont think it is unfair, these public policies are temporary measure and selective. What happened to the PR Pathway since your previous work permit expired over 2 years ago, I assume you graduated 4 or 5 yrs ago. Are you not qualifying for PR? Objective of PGWP is to accumulate Incanada skilled work experience that will give you enough points in express entry or route through pnp.
My work-permit actually expired on November 28th, 2023 – Public Policy Extended Work Permit. I have 481 scores right now. I did get PNP ITA, but my employer doesn't have at least 3 PRs or Citizens working for him – only 2 (him and another co-worker), so I had to let it expire. I don't even know if the count should include the employer. It's a small company with 5 employees including the employer, outside GTA (in Tiny, ON), making about 500k a year. Don't think my employer qualifies for a PNP.

kingsman21

Apr 25, 2022
My work-permit actually expired on November 28th, 2023 – Public Policy Extended Work Permit. I have 481 scores right now. I did get PNP ITA, but my employer doesn't have at least 3 PRs or Citizens working for him – only 2 (him and another co-worker), so I had to let it expire. I don't even know if the count should include the employer. It's a small company with 5 employees including the employer, outside GTA (in Tiny, ON), making about 500k a year. Don't think my employer qualifies for a PNP.
Hey !! I'm kind of same situation as you. just wondering did you apply under public policy?

track002

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
Hey !! I'm kind of same situation as you. just wondering did you apply under public policy?
No, once you extend your work permit under the Public Policy, there's no second extension. I'm waiting for my employer's LMIA to come through. When does your work permit expire – original and extended?

kingsman21

Apr 25, 2022
No, once you extend your work permit under the Public Policy, there's no second extension. I'm waiting for my employer's LMIA to come through. When does your work permit expire – original and extended?
My original PGWP expired in Oct 2023, I never extended. This will be first time with public policy.

Fabiog

Mar 22, 2017
I thought original meant the PGWP that was issued to me after my studies and not the one I have right now which is what I got from the public policy 2022.
yup thats where the confusion lies, to me original means the first PGWP you received so i hope you applied before the deadline.