+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am i eligible for Nexus card???

aj355

Star Member
Oct 25, 2014
Hi aj355, Thanks for your valuable response, I have two quick questions, can you reschedule interview if you are away? I am also from India and given your timeline, I will be away when I get my call. Secondly, What questions did they ask you for Nexus?
You will schedule the interview online yourself, and you can re-schedule it online as well.

There weren't too many question, mostly about how much time I spent in US. CBSA people asked if I have Canadian PR, why am I not living in Canada. I told that I will be moving soon, and the officer asked me in detail how soon.

Reactions: systix and Sam8119

gj22

Sep 24, 2016
It's 3 years living in the US or Canada. The purpose of it is to ensure that they can run a background check on recent criminal activity. As such, it's from the date you started residing in either country.

It's not tied to your PR country - for example, if you lived in the US for 3 years on a H-1B, then landed as a Canadian Permanent Resident, you could apply for a NEXUS based on the time you lived in the US. They have relaxed the requirements for Citizens living abroad, so if a US or Canadian Citizen moves back home, they are eligible immediately for the card (provided they are living in the US or Canada).

Some Permanent Residents are also exempt, if they are spouses of Citizens at consular posts, serving in the US or Canadian military, military spouses, and internationally adopted children.
I am Indian Citizen and recent Canadian PR. Have been living in USA since August 2014. In between I've spent 3 weeks in India and a week in Canada.
Am I eligible to apply for Nexus?
What are the prospects for my application?

Kindly let me know.

Thanks

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
It's 3 years living in the US or Canada. The purpose of it is to ensure that they can run a background check on recent criminal activity. As such, it's from the date you started residing in either country.

It's not tied to your PR country - for example, if you lived in the US for 3 years on a H-1B, then landed as a Canadian Permanent Resident, you could apply for a NEXUS based on the time you lived in the US. They have relaxed the requirements for Citizens living abroad, so if a US or Canadian Citizen moves back home, they are eligible immediately for the card (provided they are living in the US or Canada).

Some Permanent Residents are also exempt, if they are spouses of Citizens at consular posts, serving in the US or Canadian military, military spouses, and internationally adopted children.
Thank you this is the answer I was looking for as I am exactly in the same situation: became Canadian PR recently but hav been living in the US for almost 8 years.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Sorry for the delay.

Took me 3-4 months overall. I believe there is always an interview for Nexus. I gave interview at Vancouver airport. Interview is with both CBSA (Canada side) and CBP (US side). Both interviews at same place back to back. CBSA people gave me hard time for not living in Canada despite having Canadian PR.

I have been living in US since 2010. My stay is not at all continuous. I travel internationally a lot. There is no requirement about "continuous" stay. I guess you have to live for maybe 5 years (please check) in US or Canada.
Can you please elaborate on "CBSA gave you a hard time". I am also a Canadian PR for about 6 months but have not moved to Canada yet. Will that be an issue? I have my nexus card interview next week.

canada@2018

Star Member
May 7, 2017

Hello @kateg and other members of this forum,

I am an Indian citizen moving to Canada from USA this month. I have a Canadian PR. My wife will be still in USA, so I have to cross the land border once a month to visit her. I have spent 8+ years in USA (not continuously). In the Canadian website there is a 3 year residency requirement for nexus which is not very clear to me. From your reply and other discussion in this forum, I think the 3 year residency is either US or Canada, however I am not sure.

Can I apply for nexus from Canada after I land in Canada this month with 8 years of US residency(on visa) and only few days Canadian residency?

Thank You.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Hello @kateg and other members of this forum,

I am an Indian citizen moving to Canada from USA this month. I have a Canadian PR. My wife will be still in USA, so I have to cross the land border once a month to visit her. I have spent 8+ years in USA (not continuously). In the Canadian website there is a 3 year residency requirement for nexus which is not very clear to me. From your reply and other discussion in this forum, I think the 3 year residency is either US or Canada, however I am not sure.

Can I apply for nexus from Canada after I land in Canada this month with 8 years of US residency(on visa) and only few days Canadian residency?

Thank You.
I got conditionally approved couple of weeks ago and have scheduled my interview for this week in Montana (weather is horrible there right now should've chosen Florida lol). As long as you've lived in US or Canada continuously for 3 years or more it should be fine (vacations/trips are OK). My only worry is I have been a PR since 6 months but I haven't moved there yet. I do have a valid reason: it's frikkin cold to move there right now, and I don't have a job offer in hand and I'd rather move after I have one, and my US OPT expires May next year so I'd like to finish that and then move. Technically I still have 2.5 years to move to Canada and still satisfy the RO. Just hoping CBSA won't screw me about not moving there sooner.

Reactions: canada@2018

canada@2018

Star Member
May 7, 2017
I got conditionally approved couple of weeks ago and have scheduled my interview for this week in Montana (weather is horrible there right now should've chosen Florida lol). As long as you've lived in US or Canada continuously for 3 years or more it should be fine (vacations/trips are OK). My only worry is I have been a PR since 6 months but I haven't moved there yet. I do have a valid reason: it's frikkin cold to move there right now, and I don't have a job offer in hand and I'd rather move after I have one, and my US OPT expires May next year so I'd like to finish that and then move. Technically I still have 2.5 years to move to Canada and still satisfy the RO. Just hoping CBSA won't screw me about not moving there sooner.

Thanks @ch671...quick question - what do you mean by conditionally approved? Also how long it took to get the approval? My wife is in USA, I need to travel at least 2 times a month before she gets a job there and move..and its six hours drive..so don’t plan to waste time in long immigration line...:)...Best of luck with your nexus interview and job in Canada....keep us posted!!!

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
Thanks @ch671...quick question - what do you mean by conditionally approved? Also how long it took to get the approval? My wife is in USA, I need to travel at least 2 times a month before she gets a job there and move..and its six hours drive..so don’t plan to waste time in long immigration line...:)...Best of luck with your nexus interview and job in Canada....keep us posted!!!
The Nexus application process is like this
1. Submit application at https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/ (or on paper but slower)
2. Wait for conditional approval
3. When conditionally approved, schedule interview (same website)
4. Attend interview
5. Wait for full approval and card will follow.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Conditional approval means background check is clean and almost approved, you just need to show your face and documents at the interview. It took about 2 months to get the conditional approval.

Reactions: canada@2018