+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I eligible for EI? (Will it affect my CEC?)

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I worked for my employer for a whole 52 weeks, and had to stop working due to my work permit expired.

About 2 months later, I got my BOWP from CEC, but I can't go back to previous employer as my position has been filled.

I am still looking for jobs, I wonder if I am eligible for EI in my case? If yes, will it affect my CEC?

Thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Probably not, but you can apply, you never know. Do you have your Record of employment? Do you know what reason was given for leaving the job?

BTW - if you applied for your BOWP before your old work permit expired, you could have legally continued working under "implied status" while waiting for your BOWP.

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
Probably not, but you can apply, you never know. Do you have your Record of employment? Do you know what reason was given for leaving the job?

BTW - if you applied for your BOWP before your old work permit expired, you could have legally continued working under "implied status" while waiting for your BOWP.
I don't have Record of employment and haven't heard of it from my employer either. I suppose they have filed it electronically as paper ROEs must be given to employees as far as I know. Therefore, I am now registering my Service Canada Account to view my ROE.

I just wonder what if my previous employer filed "resignation" to make things simpler?
Will my ex-boss know that I apply for EI?

The situation is kind of complicated. I was already on implied status when I applied for CEC, I submitted paper BOWP at the same time, and before the decision is known, my LMO got refused and had to stop working immediately.