+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I eligible for CEC? comments and advices. Thank You!

springwater

Mar 2, 2013
I completed a 2 yrs (full-time) business management diploma in a Canadian public college in 2011, then i was given a 3 yrs post graduation work permit. As you could imagine, it was very difficult for a new international graduate to find a job in a short time frame. A friend of mine suggested me to try to apply for the oil and gas company that he was working for. I knew it could be an occupational change, but i applied anyway. Surprisingly, that company called me back for a tele interview. I honestly told them i had no background on oil and gas industry, but i emphasized i was willing to give my all at work.... and i got hired!!! 2 weeks training, then i started to work... and i completed CPCA petroleum mechanical helper certification in the fourth month. By April this year, i will be working for this company for 12 months. I work 12hrs shifts, 2 weeks in & 1 week out (roughly 220 hrs per month).

NOC 9232,Level B, petroleum process operator, perfectly matches the duty description on my contract. As i talked to an immigration agency last week, i was told my case would not be accepted because VO officer will suspect how an inexperienced person was hired in the first place, and then VO will question my ability to do the job. I wish i knew how i got hired, but questioning my ability on this job is senseless. If i had been unable to do the task, i would have been fired.

Should i apply for CEC or Should i not? Any comments are welcomed.

Thanks!

canadacec2012

Apr 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your case is good as long as you met CEC eligibility. refer the below link.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

crama123

Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
Hong Kong PCC
AOR Received.
31-May-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
Med's Request
09-Feb-2014
Med's Done....
05-Mar-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-May-2014
LANDED..........
20-July-2014
You can apply under CEC

springwater

Mar 2, 2013
I had no background on oil and gas industry before, and my major was business management. Can I still apply for CEC? My work doesn't have be related my study field, am I correct? Will VO question my ability or how I got hired?

I am a bit more positive now!

I will post my contract discription tonight. Hope you guys can comment on that as well.

Cheers!

Brandy

Dec 31, 2012
@Spring Water,

You are eligible to apply for CEC. The job is under Skill B and your experience or background in another field does not affect your chances. You would not be working in the Company if they did not see your potential and no one can query the type of job you are doing because have an open work permit which allows you to work for any employer....

B

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Correct. Work does not have to be related to field of study. It just has to be skilled and be full-time for at least 12 months(or part-time equivalent).

springwater said:
I had no background on oil and gas industry before, and my major was business management. Can I still apply for CEC? My work doesn't have be related my study field, am I correct? Will VO question my ability or how I got hired?

I am a bit more positive now!

I will post my contract discription tonight. Hope you guys can comment on that as well.

Cheers!

springwater

Mar 2, 2013
NOC: Petroleum, gas and chemical process operators perform some or all of the following duties:

Operate electronic or computerized control panel from a central control room to monitor and optimize physical and chemical processes for several processing units
Control process start-up, shut-down and troubleshooting
Monitor outside process equipment
Adjust equipment, valves, pumps and controls and process equipment
Authorize or co-sign maintenance work orders
Shut down, isolate and prepare process units or production equipment for maintenance
Sample products, perform tests, record data, carry out statistical process control on process operations, and write production logs
Develop operator procedures for normal operation, start-up or shut-down of unit
Participate in safety audits and programs and provide emergency response when required
Ensure adherence to safety and environmental regulations
May rotate between different processing units during shift cycles
May work in a team with shared supervisory responsibilities and participate in training other workers
May be cross-trained in a skilled trade and work in the trade during shift cycles.

Duty description on my contract:

i. Control and/or Maintain Auxiliary Equipment.
ii. Receive and Dispense Diesel at Diesel Storage Facilities.
iii. Monitor equipment and indicators to detect evidence of operating problems.
iv. Take regulatory action, based on readings from charts, meters and gauges, at established intervals.
v. Open and close valves and switches separately or in sequence.
vi. Record and compile operational data by completing and maintaining forms, logs, or reports.
vii. Make adjustments or minor repairs, such as tightening leaking gland and pipe joints.
viii. Regulate equipment operations and conditions,.
ix. Inspect records or log book entries or communicate with plant personnel to assess equipment operating status.
x. Start or stop auxiliary equipment, as necessary.
xi. Clean, lubricate, and/or maintain equipment, to prevent failure or deterioration.
xii. Communicate with systems operators to regulate flows and Levels.
xiii. Adjust controls to regulate the flow.
xiv. Collect samples for laboratory analysis.
xv. Examine and test distribution machinery and equipment, using testing devices.
xvi. Receive calls and assist operations personnel during outages or emergencies.
xvii. Provide Isolations.
xviii. Dispose of off-spec Diesel products.

Do these two match? let me know what you think!

Thanks!

springwater

Mar 2, 2013
from_mumbai said:
you can apply.. I dont see any problem with ur description or situation
That's what i thought until i talked to an immigration agency. He told me my case would be very complicated and could be easily rejected. I guess they just wanna more money.

Thanks for you guys. I am much clear and positive now.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
There was a time when students were expected to find work related to their field of study in order to obtain a LMO, but that all changed around April 2008(if memory serves me right). The gov't introduced the off-campus work permit and post-graduate work permit. These permits are OPEN, so you can do any job. To be eligible for CEC, the job must be skilled and be for at least 12 months full-time(or part-time equivalent). When in doubt, refer to the CEC checklist and read the CEC guide.

springwater said:
That's what i thought until i talked to an immigration agency. He told me my case would be very complicated and could be easily rejected. I guess they just wanna more money.

Thanks for you guys. I am much clear and positive now.

potgoa

Sep 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/02/2013
AOR Received.
20/03/2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
02/12/2013
Med's Done....
07/12/2013
I think you should be fine since you have all the training and certificate. ;)
Good luck

springwater

Mar 2, 2013
potgoa said:
I think you should be fine since you have all the training and certificate. ;)
Good luck

Thx. I still don't understand why that immigration agency told me my case would be very complicated.

mapleplease

Star Member
Feb 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
AOR Received.
09-09-2014
Med's Request
09-09-2014
Med's Done....
14-09-2014
Passport Req..
12-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
WAITING
LANDED..........
WAITING (Already in Canada)
I suppose you could make your case rock solid by including recommendations from your manager, or perhaps a letter from the HR dept. Along with that, you could include all your salary slips and bank A/c statements that show the money trail. Think of whatever else you could add, to make it clear to the VO how valuable you are to the company.