+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I eligible for a Canadian PR Status?

amitnm1991

Aug 1, 2014
Hey Guys,
I am new here, a warm hello to everyone!

I was wondering if I am some what eligible for a Canadian PR status.

Firstly I am 23 years old and I am currently residing in Australia, also I have done my masters degree there in Information Technology focusing on Business Analyst. I have 1 year post qualification year experience, and 2 years if work experience is counted when you are studying. This means, I will be applying under the "2171" stream for an IT analyst in accordance to the skilled federal program (Do correct me if I am wrong)

I also have a 7+ in all modules in IELTS. I am, however, not proficient in french, hence I will not able to claim points for that.

I am aware that I will need to get my education assessed by a body prior doing my application (If I even eligible to).

But in regards to my work experience, I worked as a Business Process Developer for 3 months then moved to Marketing and Strategic Business Coordinator till date, in which, the roles and responsibility are closely related to a IT analyst (2171). My work was marked "CASUAL" with Australian bodies and was working an average of 35 hours per week, and I have all the payslips. Will immigration care if the payslips are marked casual? Usually for Australia, they do not care if it is part time, full time, contracted, or casual, as long you have paid work experience for certain amount of hours (minimum 20 hours is considered full time) for a year, it is considered eligible for migration.

Please help me out!

Keen to hear your responses!

RomanSPb

Jul 19, 2014
Calgary, AB, Canada
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-JUL-2014
AOR Received.
01-DEC-2014
Med's Request
12-FEB-2014
Med's Done....
20-FEB-2014
Passport Req..
26-MAR-2014
LANDED..........
26-10-2015
G'Day!

You seem to be eligible based on the informatin you provided.

Pleas note the following features of the FSW program you must consider:
1. IELTS - it should be 'General module'
2. NOC 2171 is closely related to Information System and it is quite important to distinguish your main duties from those described under NOC 2211: http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/english/NOC/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=business+analyst
3. If you worked during your studies you will have to convince the CIO that both your work and studying were full-day or equivalent. Provide sufficient explanation in your cover letter along with proper reference letter

amitnm1991

Aug 1, 2014
Good day Romain,

Thank you so much for your reply.

My letter from my employer states mentioned that I have work an average of 30 hours each week after I have graduated.

When studying I was only allowed to do 20 hours each week.

Also, I have one month leave during my work experience for the year after graduation, is that okay?

Keen to hear your response.

RomanSPb

Jul 19, 2014
Calgary, AB, Canada
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-JUL-2014
AOR Received.
01-DEC-2014
Med's Request
12-FEB-2014
Med's Done....
20-FEB-2014
Passport Req..
26-MAR-2014
LANDED..........
26-10-2015
It's all okay with what you have said. The only concern here it that "Full-time work means at least 30 hours per week" (copy pasted from the CIC web site) so the work experience gained during studying will probably be considered as part-time work.

amitnm1991

Aug 1, 2014
Hi Roman,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not understanding what you are trying to say. Are you saying that 30 hours is what Canada considers full time for immigration?

This work experience is in Australia, will there be any loss of months when I apply for my PR?

RomanSPb

Jul 19, 2014
Calgary, AB, Canada
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-JUL-2014
AOR Received.
01-DEC-2014
Med's Request
12-FEB-2014
Med's Done....
20-FEB-2014
Passport Req..
26-MAR-2014
LANDED..........
26-10-2015
Yes, in Canada you must work at least 30 hours a week to be considered as a full time worker. But note there's the "or equivalent", so that your part-time experience can be converted to a Canadian full-time equivalent with some loss of month. But I think it should not bother you too much as your experience is commonly not "freezed" on the day of application and it may turn to a longer experience by the moment your application is processed and all the points are summed up. Just apply and have a good luck.

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
amitnm1991 said:
Hey Guys,
I am new here, a warm hello to everyone!

I was wondering if I am some what eligible for a Canadian PR status.

Firstly I am 23 years old and I am currently residing in Australia, also I have done my masters degree there in Information Technology focusing on Business Analyst. I have 1 year post qualification year experience, and 2 years if work experience is counted when you are studying. This means, I will be applying under the "2171" stream for an IT analyst in accordance to the skilled federal program (Do correct me if I am wrong)

I also have a 7+ in all modules in IELTS. I am, however, not proficient in french, hence I will not able to claim points for that.

I am aware that I will need to get my education assessed by a body prior doing my application (If I even eligible to).

But in regards to my work experience, I worked as a Business Process Developer for 3 months then moved to Marketing and Strategic Business Coordinator till date, in which, the roles and responsibility are closely related to a IT analyst (2171). My work was marked "CASUAL" with Australian bodies and was working an average of 35 hours per week, and I have all the payslips. Will immigration care if the payslips are marked casual? Usually for Australia, they do not care if it is part time, full time, contracted, or casual, as long you have paid work experience for certain amount of hours (minimum 20 hours is considered full time) for a year, it is considered eligible for migration.

Please help me out!

Keen to hear your responses!
It's best if you go to CIC's website and learn the requirements and eligibility in details. The site is pretty straightforward. Here's the link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

Also read this link for guideline, required forms and documents, and application submission checklist so you have a better idea of what you need to gather.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp

amitnm1991

Aug 1, 2014
Namaste Namaste, (See what I did there? :p),

Thanks for your reply.

During my masters degree I was working part time, in my field. Will this count as part time towards my work experience.

How is work experience calculated? During my studies, I was only entitled to work for 20 hours each week. Will the hours attained during my studies add up towards 1540 hours requirement and the rest will be carried over when I was working around 63 hours a fortnight?

RomanSPb

Jul 19, 2014
Calgary, AB, Canada
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-JUL-2014
AOR Received.
01-DEC-2014
Med's Request
12-FEB-2014
Med's Done....
20-FEB-2014
Passport Req..
26-MAR-2014
LANDED..........
26-10-2015
amitnm1991 said:
Namaste Namaste, (See what I did there? :p),

Thanks for your reply.

During my masters degree I was working part time, in my field. Will this count as part time towards my work experience.

How is work experience calculated? During my studies, I was only entitled to work for 20 hours each week. Will the hours attained during my studies add up towards 1540 hours requirement and the rest will be carried over when I was working around 63 hours a fortnight?
Work experience gained during your studies will be taken into consideration but most likely as a part-time equivalent. This means they will most likely use a 2/3 multiplicator as you worked for 20 hours instead of at least 30 hours a week required to be qualified as a full time worker. Please also note this work experience must be at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 edition of the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that most of unskilled jobs do not qualify and do not contribute to your overall experience.

amitnm1991

Aug 1, 2014
Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.

My job, based on the roles and responsibilities, fall under the skilled level A.

Does the immi department look into the job title or duties / responsibilities carried out by an individual? In australia, applying for a PR Visa, the gov body looks into the duties carried out by an individual

Also, thank you for clarifying that my work experience may be considered. However, I have taken occasionally certain days off a week from work for studying whenever there is an exam approaching and what not. Will this be problematic?

Keen to hear your reply.

RomanSPb

Jul 19, 2014
Calgary, AB, Canada
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-JUL-2014
AOR Received.
01-DEC-2014
Med's Request
12-FEB-2014
Med's Done....
20-FEB-2014
Passport Req..
26-MAR-2014
LANDED..........
26-10-2015
amitnm1991 said:
Hi there,

My job, based on the roles and responsibilities, fall under the skilled level A.

Does the immi department look into the job title or duties / responsibilities carried out by an individual? In australia, applying for a PR Visa, the gov body looks into the duties carried out by an individual

Also, thank you for clarifying that my work experience may be considered. However, I have taken occasionally certain days off a week from work for studying whenever there is an exam approaching and what not. Will this be problematic?

Keen to hear your reply.
They will be studying all the documents provided and take into consideration both your job titles and main duties and responsibilities provided. However, your eligibility is generally assessed based on the list of your duties. Your days off and leaves should not bother them as letters of reference generally do not reflect them.

amitnm1991

Aug 1, 2014
Hi Roman,

Sounds good thus far. I have done some research and it seems that there are quite a few places still left for 2171 IT analyst.

Correct me if I am wrong, I am firstly required to undergo my education with WES correct?

Is everything online based? Can I simply attest all of the education related documents and upload them during my application?

After that I assume I will have to do the applications and the allocated case officer will inform me for my medicals.

Lastly, for work experience what documents are needed? I have payslips, letter of reference and tax returns form Australian tax office cord the past two years.

Keen to hear your reply.

amitnm1991

Aug 1, 2014
Hi Roman,

Sorry Gain for the double post.

In terms of work experience, my job titles, both from part time and fill time, are Business process developer and Marketing and business strategic coordinator. However, the roles and responsibilities are around an ice business analyst sphere.

Do let me know...