+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I eligible? BSc, MSc, and soon PhD from Canada; only TA and RA work experienc

parshakov

Sep 15, 2016
Hi. I'm wondering if I should take my chances and apply for PR or I'd just waste my money? If the latter, how much money are we talking about? $550?

Here are a few details:
• Completed my BSc and MSc in Alberta, about to finish my PhD.
Teaching Assistantship (TA) is mandatory for all graduate students at the university. I did not teach during Summer semesters, so my TA experience was technically not continuous.
• My research had little to do with the work of my supervisor, so technically I did not assist anyone. Does it still count as Research Assistanship (RA)? I was hired by my supervisor to work on a number of projects not directly related to my thesis, but never for more than a few months at a time.
• I came to Canada 10 years ago and have been living in Alberta ever since (so I can't apply under the International Post-Graduate BC PNP) but would like to move to another province.
• Received a Post-Graduate Work Permit after finishing my undergrad but could not find a job. Because they won't give another one after I finish my PhD, I feel a little insecure about my future in Canada.
• CELPIP test results: Listening: 11; Reading: 12; Writing: 10; Speaking: 9.

A couple of quotes from CIC (as a new user I cannot post links):
/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=689&top=29
"What are the minimum requirements to apply as a federal skilled worker?

You must have at least one year, in the last ten years before you submit your electronic application for permanent residence, of continuous full-time work experience (or the equivalent in continuous part-time work) in a skilled occupation listed in Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B of the 2011 version of Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC)."
/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6
"You may be able to count experience as a teaching, research or lab assistant at a post-secondary educational institution, (see National Occupation Classification 4012) toward the work experience requirement, depending on the eligibility criteria of the programs.

To be considered under the Federal Skilled Worker Program:
Your work experience must have been full-time (or the equivalent in part-time hours), worked continuously and paid, for at least one year in the same occupation."

hil555

Feb 19, 2018
hello,

I will be in a similar situation soon and am wondering if you did find the reply to these questions?