+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I "accompanying spouse" if I am already in Canada?

CatAndRob

May 11, 2019
Hi all, hoping you can help.

I have a pretty simple question, but trying to google it myself has been fruitless. He's been cleared/drawn for the Express Entry PR application. When it says "is your spouse accompanying you to Canada" do I say yes or no?

I am a Canadian citizen, he is here on a Work Permit. We moved to Canada for his work over a year ago. I did sort of "accompany" him to Canada at the time (he came up here first, I joined him a few months later after wrapping our affairs in the US) but I returned to Canada by right of being a citizen. Over a year ago.

Since I am already "here" at the time that he's applying for EE PR, do we say no, I am not "accompanying" him? It's trying to charge us immigration fees and paperwork for me as if I am also foreign applying for PR, but ... I'm Canadian. I'm already living here?? Why would I need to fill out a PR application?? So confused.

Thanks!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
No, you're not accompanying him. He should be applying as if he is single. Is there a reason you're not doing spousal sponsorship?

CatAndRob

May 11, 2019
No, you're not accompanying him. He should be applying as if he is single. Is there a reason you're not doing spousal sponsorship?
Thank you so much!

The reason we aren't doing the spousal PR is that we had an immigration consultation done before we came up here (to help with the Work Permit issues we had) and they said because of our particulars/score, it would be faster and easier for him to apply for PR through EE instead of through me. Also, I'm not working (our plans were derailed by the pandemic) so I'm not sure how that would even work if I'm not able to demonstrate that I have the means to support him.