+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alternative to option c printout?

christinamh

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible for my sponsor to send a copy of his T4 from last tax year, or does it absolutely have to be an option c printout? We're ready to apply today, but we just realized we needed an option c printout. We requested it from Canada Revenue agency but it will take 7-10 business days to get to us. Does anyone know if a T4 will suffice?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Option C is required. You should not send the application without it, for fear of possibly having everything returned.

labeamer

Jul 30, 2014
i also have the same question. The thing is I haven't been up to date with my taxes and I just filled up my 2013 taxes. I was hoping I would submit 2014 taxes right after the 2013 taxes got processed. However I changed provinces in 2013, so I claimed moving expenses and now CRA is asking for documents to verify the moving expenses. They gave me 30 days to respond and i suspect this will be dragged into weeks before I even submit my 2014 taxes.

I was almost ready to submit the sponsorship application for my wife have I had the Option C for 2014 right now. Now that I got held up with this 2013 moving expenses claim fiasco, I was meaning to submit the sponsorship application without the Option C with a cover letter, 2014 T4 and 2015 pay stubs. In the cover letter i thought i would say my 2013 taxes are being reviewed, blah blah, hence no option c for 2014, yada yada...

So, Ponga, are you sure they will return applications submitted without an Option C? I thought the sole reason they want the Option C was to verify that sponsors have not been getting welfare. So my logic was if I make good money, how would I get a welfare? Plus, since I haven't even done my taxes since 2012, I thought they would figure that I couldn't get welfare.

labeamer

Jul 30, 2014
can anyone please confirm if the Option C is a must-send document, and without this document, all applications would be returned? I haven't done my taxes yet even though i've been living here, working, earning and never been in receipt of welfare payments?

christinamh

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
labeamer said:
can anyone please confirm if the Option C is a must-send document, and without this document, all applications would be returned? I haven't done my taxes yet even though i've been living here, working, earning and never been in receipt of welfare payments?
I think that the person who said the whole application will be returned to you is wrong, unless they have personally experienced this themselves. I am looking at the document checklist (for outland application) and it clearly says "If you do not provide this printout, provide an explanation on separate sheet of paper." I don't think they would state this if they were just going to return the whole application to you for not having the option c printout. I think in my situation, yes I do need it since we absolutely CAN obtain it. Your situation is much different and I would feel like an in-depth explanation would be better than nothing at all.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
christinamh said:
I think that the person who said the whole application will be returned to you is wrong, unless they have personally experienced this themselves. I am looking at the document checklist (for outland application) and it clearly says "If you do not provide this printout, provide an explanation on separate sheet of paper." I don't think they would state this if they were just going to return the whole application to you for not having the option c printout. I think in my situation, yes I do need it since we absolutely CAN obtain it. Your situation is much different and I would feel like an in-depth explanation would be better than nothing at all.
A person not including the Option C, because they would not be able to get one (didn't work in Canada, for example), is one thing. However, there have been people that simply opted not to include one, because they didn't want to wait for it to arrive in the mail...that HAVE had their entire application returned.

labeamer

Jul 30, 2014
Thanks christinamh and ponga.

yea, non-residents would not be required to submit option c when they didn't have one in the first place. i was wondering if in my situation a cover letter along with T4 and payslips would do.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Include a cover letter explaining the situation and stating that you will forward the Option C to CIC once you have it. It should be fine.