+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

alternative to IEC?

martymart

Aug 27, 2013
Is the working holiday visa THE IEC program the only way to gain working ability in Canada without having a job lined up and attaining a work permit? Or is there a other visa similar to this that i am missing as i don't need to take part in the actual program just need to be able to work once settled.

Thanks in advance

Martin

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
IEC is the only program where you get an open work permit without a job offer.
You can apply for a work permit but you will need a job offer and your employer will have
to apply for a LMO for you. Once that's all done, you can apply for the WP.

May I ask why you can't make use of the IEC program?

martymart

Aug 27, 2013
Sure i was just too late in looking into applying and all the spaces are taken so will now have to wait until the next program launches any idea when this is? Thanks for your answer no need to search for alternatives.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
martymart said:
Sure i was just too late in looking into applying and all the spaces are taken so will now have to wait until the next program launches any idea when this is? Thanks for your answer no need to search for alternatives.
Depends on the country you're applying from. Usually program starts are in October / November. Last year got
delayed because of a new application system.
You can also come to Canada as a visitor, find an employer willing to apply for LMO for your, then apply for
a work permit.
But without a job offer, it's gonna be tough to get a work permit, especially an open work permit.

martymart

Aug 27, 2013
Great info i'll keep an eye open for the new program launch, i'm applying from the UK which does get a good allocation as i seen.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
martymart said:
Great info i'll keep an eye open for the new program launch, i'm applying from the UK which does get a good allocation as i seen.
Yes, but also reach quote in a few hours :) So you gotta be quick once the program opens.
I think there were three quotas last year, so more applicants had the chance to get in.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
martymart said:
Yep i noticed on the site over 5 thousand people in 3 months wow :eek: need to get an e-mail alert i think.
Ya, and make sure to regularly check the website for announcements. That's what I did. A few times a week.

martymart

Aug 27, 2013
Great! if you dont mind how long did it take you to find work, did you have to take part in the IEC Work programs and accomodation they set up or can you just pick where you want to live and look for work once the paper work is complete because i'd prefer the 2nd with my aunt already living there for over 20 years.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
martymart said:
Great! if you dont mind how long did it take you to find work, did you have to take part in the IEC Work programs and accomodation they set up or can you just pick where you want to live and look for work once the paper work is complete because i'd prefer the 2nd with my aunt already living there for over 20 years.
I'm from Germany, and for me there was no set up accommodation or ICE work programs. I got here,
found a place to stay and then started looking for jobs on craigslist. It's all about the resume you send out.
The IEC WHP is the working holiday program. I never heard of accommodations provided by IEC or even work programs :)
All WHP participants I've met, just came here and did whatever they wanted.