+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Already Dual citizen of EU and USA and looking forward to be Canadian ....

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
luic said:
who is Keifer? apology not very current.

Are there other treads who have the same situation as me, any links or user names here?
Here is the CIC link about Canadian "Dual Nationality" rule, may be it would help you to understand it better.

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/documents/dual-citizenship

Travelling as a dual citizen :

Dual citizenship means that you are a citizen of more than one country. While having dual (or multiple) citizenship is legal in Canada, some countries do not legally recognize dual citizenship. This may limit or even prevent Canadian officials from assisting you, especially if you are incarcerated.

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
luic said:
who is Keifer? apology not very current.

Are there other treads who have the same situation as me, any links or user names here?
He is a Hollywood actor. Son of Donald Sutherland.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Remember, there is a difference between a country "not recognizing" dual/multiple citizenship and "prohibiting" it. The US doesn't recognize dual/multiple citizenship--meaning it will always only treat you as if you are a US citizen only. Lithuania prohibits dual/multiple citizenship (with some exceptions) meaning you generally lose Lithuanian citizenship if you naturalize elsewhere. Under current Canadian law, dual/multiple citizenship is legal and recognized in law in that it is grounds to have your Canadian citizenship stripped in certain circumstances.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
CCanadaa said:
Canada allows dual citizenship, but you can not have three citizenships, you have to give up either US or EU country citizenship...
Totally wrong..! I will be a triple citizen soon..

luic

Feb 27, 2016
foodie69 said:
Totally wrong..! I will be a triple citizen soon..
Thanks, this what I believe as I did some research about multiple citizenship. In my circusmtance, I will have an issue with my native EU citizenship. I am far far from being eligible in Canada with at least three years to go before I am eligible..

I raised the issue because I read about many applicants run into rouble in citizenship interview just because they hold Green Card during the 3/4 or 4/6 let alone becoming citizen..

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alphazip said:
There is no limit on the number of citizenships a person can possess.
I should have said Canada does not limit the number of citizenships a person can possess, nor does the United States. Of course, other countries do not allow dual citizenship or only allow it under certain conditions. However, that does not prevent you from applying for Canadian citizenship.

luic

Feb 27, 2016
...related to this thread, given that I have no forthcoming application nor interface with CIC for some years, how do I inform CIC that I am already dual citizen, say differently is there a form to tell CIC that I became American during the qualifying period? do I have to wait until I make an application for whatever?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
luic said:
...related to this thread, given that I have no forthcoming application nor interface with CIC for some years, how do I inform CIC that I am already dual citizen, say differently is there a form to tell CIC that I became American during the qualifying period? do I have to wait until I make an application for whatever?
You would only inform CIC that you have multiple citizenships on the citizenship application form. Other than that, CIC doesn't care what other citizenships you possess.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
luic said:
You might want to not volunteer information you don't have to. You tell CIC what citizenships you have when you apply for Canadian citizenship; you don't have to tell them how you acquired those citizenships. They probably wont care anyway.

luic

Feb 27, 2016
Alphazip & Links18 and participants:

I am happy o hear that I am good for now and will tell CIC if I file an application for citizenship some three years later.

don't you think that getting another citizenship after being PR is ripe ground for RQ and delay in future when I apply for Citizenship?

thanks for being helpful :)

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
No. I doubt it. You should be fine.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
luic said:
Alphazip & Links18 and participants:

I am happy o hear that I am good for now and will tell CIC if I file an application for citizenship some three years later.

don't you think that getting another citizenship after being PR is ripe ground for RQ and delay in future when I apply for Citizenship?

thanks for being helpful :)
Probably not, unless--like I said before--the citizenship officer suspects you got that citizenship through a period of residency that conflicts with your declared Canadian residency during the qualifying period. Was this the case? If not, what are you worrying about? You are under no obligation to report how you acquired your citizenships on any forms you submit to IRCC/CIC. Its conceivable the citizenship officer might ask you during your interview after the test (although in my experience they don't)--if that happens, just explain your circumstances. You aren't the first person with multiple citizenships to apply for Canadian naturalization. Relax.

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
Other countries don't know that you have other citizenships unless you actually tell them. There is no system in place for broadcasting and synchronizing an individual's citizenship status among countries unless the individual participates in disclosing this information.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
PMM said:
Hi

1. Although some countries strip their citizenship if the citizen takes up citizenship of another country, here is a list from 2014 check them though, they have caveats

Thailand frowns upon dual citizenship and strictly forbids it.
Not to be excessively nitpicky about a list that I'm sure is mostly accurate, this simply isn't true about Thailand. My son was born here in Canada, and when we took him to the Thai consulate in Vancouver, his Canadian birth certificate was a required submission to get a Thai birth certificate and a Thai passport. He was born here, had never been to Thailand, and there was no secrecy about the fact that he already had both Canadian and US citizenship. Maybe Thailand has some sort of formal opposition to dual citizenship, but like so many other things there, the reality is far different. This is almost certainly because there is now a wealthy, internationalized class of Thai elite who frequently have more than one nationality; plus there is the older Thai practice of importing women of Thai descent from California to enter beauty contests.