+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Already Dual citizen of EU and USA and looking forward to be Canadian ....

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Canadiandesi2006 said:
Here is the CIC link about Canadian "Dual Nationality" rule, may be it would help you to understand it better.

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/documents/dual-citizenship

Travelling as a dual citizen :

Dual citizenship means that you are a citizen of more than one country. While having dual (or multiple) citizenship is legal in Canada, some countries do not legally recognize dual citizenship. This may limit or even prevent Canadian officials from assisting you, especially if you are incarcerated.
As always, wrong in spirit and in detail too. Countries don't 'recognize' dual citizenship, they permit their citizens to have more than one nationality. That does not mean that they 'recognize' the other nationality. Almost every country requires their citizens to use their passport when entering or leaving the country. There is no such thing as a dual nationality status, there are only people who have multiple citizenships that are each valid.

'Assistance' has nothing to do with it at all -- if you are a dual citizen of Canada and Mexico, and are arrested while you are in Mexico, Canada is very unlikely to try and assist you, and Mexico is very unlikely to care if they do. If you are sentenced to death, Canada might file a petition or something like that. However, if you are arrested while you are in the United States, both Canada and Mexico will provide you with consular support, and neither will care if you are a citizen of another country.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
nope said:
As always, wrong in spirit and in detail too. Countries don't 'recognize' dual citizenship, they permit their citizens to have more than one nationality. That does not mean that they 'recognize' the other nationality. Almost every country requires their citizens to use their passport when entering or leaving the country. There is no such thing as a dual nationality status, there are only people who have multiple citizenships that are each valid.

'Assistance' has nothing to do with it at all -- if you are a dual citizen of Canada and Mexico, and are arrested while you are in Mexico, Canada is very unlikely to try and assist you, and Mexico is very unlikely to care if they do. If you are sentenced to death, Canada might file a petition or something like that. However, if you are arrested while you are in the United States, both Canada and Mexico will provide you with consular support, and neither will care if you are a citizen of another country.
Well, in which hole you are hiding so far. I dont see your comment except responses to my comments.

I given the URL of CIC and you manage to find fault with that too. There is something wrong with you, you seems to be so frustrated and dying to start argument with someone or other. I really pity at your state of mind.

You exceeded your own madness with this comment, now you contradicting the CIC rules too. Are you minister of immigration ?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
See "Master Nationality Rule." But yes, some countries do "recognize" dual/multiple citizenship in domestic law. Both Canada and the UK treat their citizens differently under their laws if they have other citizenships (or even possible claims to other citizenships) than natural born citizens with only one citizenship. Of course, the Canadian Liberals have vowed to change that, but British citizens with a claim to another nationality can pretty much be stripped of their citizenship on the say so of the Home Minister.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
links18 said:
Both Canada and the UK treat their citizens differently under their laws if they have other citizenships (or even possible claims to other citizenships) than natural born citizens with only one citizenship.
This is true with nearly all countries. There are always some high level government positions that will exclude people with dual citizenship. Usually it is some senior position that deals with sensitive national security information (like head of the CIA)

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
keesio said:
This is true with nearly all countries. There are always some high level government positions that will exclude people with dual citizenship. Usually it is some senior position that deals with sensitive national security information (like head of the CIA)
You might not pass a security clearance with dual citizenship, but the US has no legal bar for dual citizens to hold such positions, because the US does not legally recognize dual citizenship.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
links18 said:
You might not pass a security clearance with dual citizenship, but the US has no legal bar for dual citizens to hold such positions, because the US does not legally recognize dual citizenship.
But you just said it - because of dual-citizenship you could not pass the security clearance to hold such position. Dual-citizenship would not allow you to pass "Yankee White" US clearance since you are considered a US citizenship with compromised loyalty. Essentially, being a dual-citizen would bar you from such positions.

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
links18 said:
See "Master Nationality Rule." But yes, some countries do "recognize" dual/multiple citizenship in domestic law. Both Canada and the UK treat their citizens differently under their laws if they have other citizenships (or even possible claims to other citizenships) than natural born citizens with only one citizenship. Of course, the Canadian Liberals have vowed to change that, but British citizens with a claim to another nationality can pretty much be stripped of their citizenship on the say so of the Home Minister.
Links 18:
This topic is of interest to me. I think it all depends on the country of which the OP is a citizen. Being British myself, the UK does not bother how many a UK citizen gets but you are right there are provisions very much like that within Bill 24 that allow the state to strip one off UK citizenship when involved in acts against the Country..otherwise UK like Canada they allow multiple ..

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
keesio said:
But you just said it - because of dual-citizenship you could not pass the security clearance to hold such position. Dual-citizenship would now allow you to pass "Yankee White" US clearance since you are considered a US citizenship with compromised loyalty. Essentially, being a dual-citizen would bar you from such positions.
I should of said you might or might not pass. Still, the point is there is no legal bar. Even the US President --who otherwise must he a "natural born citizen"--could have multiple citizenships. Heck, US Senator Ted Cruz--who could sit on the Intelligence or Homeland Security Committees--was a dual citizen and didn't even know it. Birther nonsense aside, there is some speculation--under some interpretations of the positively Byzantine nature of British nationality law--that Obama himself might still be a British citizen (but probably not).

I know people who are dual citizens who have passed US security clearances at various levels, others who are US citizens only, but married to foreign nationals who have failed. Its a case by case thing, but in general US law does not discriminate between those with single US citizenship and those with dual/multiple. This is in stark contrast to current (soon to be repealed) Canadian law and UK law-which treat dual/multiple citizens differently as a matter of law.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
nkam said:
Links 18:
This topic is of interest to me. I think it all depends on the country of which the OP is a citizen. Being British myself, the UK does not bother how many a UK citizen gets but you are right there are provisions very much like that within Bill 24 that allow the state to strip one off UK citizenship when involved in acts against the Country..otherwise UK like Canada they allow multiple ..
The UK does not prohibit dual/multiple citizenship. But if you are a dual/multiple citizen the Home Secretary can strip you of your British citizenship if she decides your having British citizenship is "not conducive to the public good." You don't even have to be convicted of a crime. You have very limited appeal rights and don't get to cross examine all the evidence against you. The current Conservative Government has even toyed with expanding these powers to allow stripping citizenship even if it would make you stateless.

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
The UK laws are balanced and just and the government has discretion authority which in my experience was hardly challenged because it is used appropriately and consistently.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
nkam said:
The UK laws are balanced and just and the government has discretion authority which in my experience was hardly challenged because it is used appropriately and consistently.
Lets see what the next UKIP PM does with that authority....