+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Already Dual citizen of EU and USA and looking forward to be Canadian ....

luic

Feb 27, 2016
I am of EU origin, immigrated to the US and had my green card since 2006. It was not until Jan 2016 that I became a US Citizen. So I am now dual citizen of my EU country and USA.

I’ve been permeant resident of Canada since 2012. With the new announcement of 3/5, I decided to move to Canada and not to waste any more days to qualify for Canadian citizenship.

Provided that I catch up with physical presence and spend 3+ years, will it be still possible to be granted Canadian Citizenship?

My problem is I became American during the qualifying period, is that an obstacle? Do I have to go through more vetting? How soon do I need to inform CIC that I am dual citizen?

I invite all dual citizens of courtiers other than Canada such as from USA and EU and elsewhere as well as other members of the forum to share their experience and links of similar threads...

CCanadaa

Jan 27, 2016
Canada allows dual citizenship, but you can not have three citizenships, you have to give up either US or EU country citizenship...

canmozu

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
CCanadaa said:
Canada allows dual citizenship, but you can not have three citizenships, you have to give up either US or EU country citizenship...
I think if a country allows dual citizenship it allows multiple citizenship as well. For example a person born in France migrated to USA and marries a Canadian citizen maybe citizen of USA and Canada as well.

luic

Feb 27, 2016
luic said:
I am of EU origin, immigrated to the US and had my green card since 2006. It was not until Jan 2016 that I became a US Citizen. So I am now dual citizen of my EU country and USA.

I’ve been permeant resident of Canada since 2012. With the new announcement of 3/5, I decided to move to Canada and not to waste any more days to qualify for Canadian citizenship.

Provided that I catch up with physical presence and spend 3+ years, will it be still possible to be granted Canadian Citizenship?

My problem is I became American during the qualifying period, is that an obstacle? Do I have to go through more vetting? How soon do I need to inform CIC that I am dual citizen?

I invite all dual citizens of courtiers other than Canada such as from USA and EU and elsewhere as well as other members of the forum to share their experience and links of similar threads...

Canada allow multiple citizenship for sure, I would appreciate feedback on the questions above mates..

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
luic said:
Canada allow multiple citizenship for sure, I would appreciate feedback on the questions above mates..
Having become a US citizen during the qualifying period in and of itself should have no effect on your application for Canadian citizenship. However, if the citizenship officer suspects you acquired US citizenship through a period of residency that conflicts with your claimed Canadian residency, you could be in for more scrutiny. Its hard to say what will happen in any given case. But if you have documentation of your Canadian residency (physical presence), you should be OK in the end.

luic

Feb 27, 2016
Thanks Links18, your response makes a lot of sense..

My real physical presence will start now as I just moved in with real intention to reside in Canada. I worked several years to get the PR which sounds impossible to get again in my circumstances,..
so you think it is down to me documenting physical presence beyond doubt to be eligible, otherwise it should not be a problem?

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CCanadaa said:
It's not true

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CCanadaa said:
There is no limit on the number of citizenships a person can possess.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

alphazip said:
There is no limit on the number of citizenships a person can possess.
1. Although some countries strip their citizenship if the citizen takes up citizenship of another country, here is a list from 2014 check them though, they have caveats

Andorra.
Austria.
Bahrain.
China. China technically forbids dual nationality, but many Chinese tell me enforcement of this is weak. They also mention that China considers Chinese citizens to be only Chinese, but does not actually restrict them from holding other passports.
Djibouti.
El Salvador allows for dual citizenship, but only for those who obtained El Salvador nationality by birth. Naturalized citizens may not hold multiple nationalities.

Estonia. Native born Estonians are not subject to this provision, however, because Estonian citizenship is determined “by blood” and cannot be taken away from anyone.

India.
Indonesia.
Japan:
Lithuania.
Malaysia.
Montenegro.
Netherlands.
Norway.
Poland. Poland does not recognize its citizens who maintain other allegiances, but it tolerates the practice. However, there are cases where “exercising a second citizenship” is disallowed, such as identifying yourself to Polish authorities as a foreign citizen.

Singapore.
Slovakia*.
Tanzania.
Thailand frowns upon dual citizenship and strictly forbids it.
Ukraine.
United Arab Emirates.
Venezuela. While children born on Venezuelan soil are entitled to Venezuelan citizenship (regardless of their parents’ nationalities), dual citizenship is only possible until age 25. After that time, if an individual maintains a foreign citizenship, the Venezuelan nationality will be terminated.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
luic said:
Thanks Links18, your response makes a lot of sense..

My real physical presence will start now as I just moved in with real intention to reside in Canada. I worked several years to get the PR which sounds impossible to get again in my circumstances,..
so you think it is down to me documenting physical presence beyond doubt to be eligible, otherwise it should not be a problem?
You should be fine. The CO wont know how you acquired US citizenship unless they ask. You could have gotten it through descent for all they know. I myself had two citizenships already when I went through Canadian naturalization and nobody ever asked or seemed to care. Its really not relevant.

Be careful who you advertise it to though. Some people might call you a "citizenship collector," and question your motive for wanting a third citizenship. There is nothing anyone can do about it though. If you meet the requirements you meet the requirements.

luic

Feb 27, 2016
links18 said:
You should be fine. The CO wont know how you acquired US citizenship unless they ask. You could have gotten it through descent for all they know. I myself had two citizenships already when I went through Canadian naturalization and nobody ever asked or seemed to care. Its really not relevant.

Be careful who you advertise it to though. Some people might call you a "citizenship collector," and question your motive for wanting a third citizenship. There is nothing anyone can do about it though. If you meet the requirements you meet the requirements.
Thanks again links 18 and other contributers.
The CO will pick it immediately as I have to mention it in almost all CIC application forms including PR renewal. The guide also states to attach a copy of any passport as a must do. The reason I raised the topic I am leaving friends, work and business behind in both EU and USA. Whenever I am in Canada, I felt it more peaceful, safer for family at night and believe it or not I like the sonw.
What I do not want it happening is I sacrify a lot and after years I found that I was not eligible..

luic

Feb 27, 2016
ERJOPA said:
FYI...

Keifer Sutherland is a Triple Citizen (UK, US, and Canada)....so it can be possible.
who is Keifer? apology not very current.

Are there other treads who have the same situation as me, any links or user names here?