+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Already Canadian citizen?

Poussin

May 29, 2015
my mother, born 1923 in Moosejaw, emigrated to US in 1942 and married an American, and though I have her old passport, I believe she had to relinquish Canadian citizenship to be a US citizen. I was born 1949, and am having trouble finding out whether Canada will still consider her Canadian (she died recently). If I am not already a Canadian citizen, would an application for dual citizenship be less difficult because of my heritage? And would I have to reside in Canada for two years?

Marlee

Jan 16, 2014
Montréal, Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
CSQ: BIQ New York; QSW: CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CSQ: 14-01-2014, QSW: 08-12-2014
Doc's Request.
13-11-2015
Nomination.....
DM: 07-01-2016, CSQ: 15-10-2014
AOR Received.
CSQ: 14-05-2014, QSW: 26-03-2015
IELTS Request
IELTS 8.5 - TEFÀQ C1/C1
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waiver
Passport Req..
Visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 14-01-2016
LANDED..........
17-01-2016
I believe this depends on whether your mother ever relinquished her citizenship and if so, if this happened before or after your birth.

"[...] This means that, in general, children born outside Canada to a parent who was a Canadian citizen at the time of the child’s birth will only be Canadian at birth if:

the parent was born in Canada, or
the parent became a Canadian citizen by being granted citizenship, also known as naturalization, (except for a grant of citizenship for adopted persons under section 5.1 of the Citizenship Act )."

So if your mother (who was born in Canada and is hence Canadian by birth) was still a citizen at the time of your birth, you would already be Canadian by descent. In any case I would advise you to contact CIC in order to clarify the citizenship status of your deceased mother.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0001ETOC.asp

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Poussin said:
my mother, born 1923 in Moosejaw, emigrated to US in 1942 and married an American, and though I have her old passport, I believe she had to relinquish Canadian citizenship to be a US citizen. I was born 1949, and am having trouble finding out whether Canada will still consider her Canadian (she died recently). If I am not already a Canadian citizen, would an application for dual citizenship be less difficult because of my heritage? And would I have to reside in Canada for two years?
1. You are probably a Canadian citizen, if your mother didn't renounce. No you don't have to remain in Canada for 2 years, you don't even have to come to Canada if you are issued proof of citizenship.

If you were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent on or after January 1, 1947, then send the following supporting documents:

A birth certificate which lists your parents (issued by the responsible government authority in the country where you were born);
Proof that one or both of your natural parents was, at the time of your birth, a Canadian citizen (i.e. your parent’s provincial or territorial birth certificate, naturalization certificate, Canadian citizenship certificate or registration of birth abroad certificate);
Two (2) pieces of personal identification, such as a passport, a driver’s licence and a health insurance card, one of which must have your photo on it;
If neither of your parents were born or naturalized in Canada before your birth, and either of your parents, or any grandparents, was employed outside Canada in or with the Canadian Armed Forces, the federal public administration or the public service of a province or territory, other than as a locally engaged person, please submit evidence of your parents or grandparents’ employment (see section on Crown servants in this guide for further instructions and acceptable proof of your parent/grandparent’s employment as a Crown servant);
Other documents, such as a marriage certificate/divorce certificate and/or a legal name change certificate (if applicable)