+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

almost graduating and my study permit will expire- what do I do?

ultra99

Jun 25, 2011
I'm supposed to graduate in September and my study permit expires in November, that gives me 90 days to apply for a PGWP. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp
However, the processing times are 99 days!!
What happens if my application for PGWP is still in process and my permit expires? What do I do or what can I do?

henryphan

Star Member
Aug 12, 2014
If your SP still valid till the day when u apply for PGWP, u ll be ok. Otherwise, u have to apply for ur SP extension first

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ultra99 said:
I'm supposed to graduate in September and my study permit expires in November, that gives me 90 days to apply for a PGWP. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp
However, the processing times are 99 days!!
What happens if my application for PGWP is still in process and my permit expires? What do I do or what can I do?
There is no problem.. once, you applied pgwp when you have valid study permit.

After you appplied pgwp, you can work and stay in Canada. It is implied status at that moment.

ultra99

Jun 25, 2011
My study/work permits will be valid when I apply for PGWP. So you're saying the day I apply for PGWP I'm on "implied status" and can work immediately BEFORE getting the PGWP? How so? Is this written somewhere?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ultra99 said:
My study/work permits will be valid when I apply for PGWP. So you're saying the day I apply for PGWP I'm on "implied status" and can work immediately BEFORE getting the PGWP? How so? Is this written somewhere?
Yes - that's correct. As long as you apply for the PGWP before your study permit expires you will have implied status.

ultra99

Jun 25, 2011
scylla said:
Yes - that's correct. As long as you apply for the PGWP before your study permit expires you will have implied status.
Thanks, but where is that written, just to cover my grounds an in case a potential employer wants to know what's "implied status"?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
this has been discussed many times on the forum a simple search could give u the link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

ultra99

Jun 25, 2011
mead said:
this has been discussed many times on the forum a simple search could give u the link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp
thanks
this is from R186: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-186.html

(w) if they are or were the holder of a study permit who has completed their program of study and
(i) they met the requirements set out in paragraph (v), and
(ii) they applied for a work permit before the expiry of that study permit and a decision has not yet been made in respect of their application.
What if my study permit expired WHILE i'm waiting for the PGWP? Doesn't really mention that scenario.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
ultra99 said:
thanks
this is from R186: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-186.html

What if my study permit expired WHILE i'm waiting for the PGWP? Doesn't really mention that scenario.
i dont understand ur question it clearly says
(w) if they are or were the holder of a study permit who has completed their program of study and
(ii) they applied for a work permit before the expiry of that study permit and a decision has not yet been made in respect of their application.

this means once u applied for PGWP ur on implied status . it also means it does not matter is study permit expires after application of PGWP.

ultra99

Jun 25, 2011
mead said:
i dont understand ur question it clearly says

this means once u applied for PGWP ur on implied status . it also means it does not matter is study permit expires after application of PGWP.
thanks for that, yes I missed it. :)

I also have a work permit issued for a Co-op, however, that work permit says I cannot work for an employer other than stated, which is the University. So is that considered a closed work permit? My Co-op was done outside the university, by the way.

Awesome7

Jun 6, 2015
ultra99 said:
any ideas?
Co-op work permit (CWP) is a closed work permit. The employer on your CWP is always your educational institution. Therefore, you cannot use it after graduation. As other members earlier said, you will have to apply for a PGWP within 90 days of receiving a written Letter of Confirmation to graduate and before your current SP expires. This will give you the implied status to work as you wait for CIC to make a decision on your application.

ultra99

Jun 25, 2011
Awesome7 said:
Co-op work permit (CWP) is a closed work permit. The employer on your CWP is always your educational institution. Therefore, you cannot use it after graduation. As other members earlier said, you will have to apply for a PGWP within 90 days of receiving a written Letter of Confirmation to graduate and before your current SP expires. This will give you the implied status to work as you wait for CIC to make a decision on your application.
But if I get a job at the university after I graduated, that's fine, right?