+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

all you need to know about Short Landing

backupoption123

Star Member
Jan 4, 2017
I am sure there are alot of guys wondering about Short Landing. People have done it, and I have not seen any unlucky ones, but you never know. I need help from "experienced" people to comment/advise on the questions below

Lets say short landing planned is for 2 days and I have a Canadian address of a Friend where things can be mailed. My current Country of residence is USA.

Short Landing:
1) Is it legal to do short landing ? ( e.g. Land Sunday, apply for SIN Monday and fly out evening)
2) When given the airline form Is there an item asking your duration of stay? If yes, is mentioning 2 days ok?
3) Is there any other form where duration of stay is asked?
4) When asked by Immigration officer about duration of current stay, is it advised to tell the truth"? I am here for 2 days, need to go back to USA to wrap up things and plan to be back in couple of months.
5) In addition to 4, can Immigration officer deny the PR to be mailed to friends address as a consequence of Short landing?
6)In addition to 5, can immigration officer decide to allow me as visitor and asks me to come back when I am ready to move in?
7) In addition to 6, can we convince the officer by saying that I will enter Canad via road on my personal vehicle or will get PRTD ( PR travel document) to collect my PR from friend as these are the only two legal ways to enter Canada without PR Card for non-exempt country citizen.
=> You can travel via CAR With your passport and COPR .
8) Is it legal for my relative/friend to post my PR card via fedex to me? => YES

other questions:

1) Proof of funds : can this be just bank letter similar to what I submitted for PR application? Or I need to carry travelers checks, money order etc for the amount that I declared that I will bring to Canada?
=> its good to have some cash/travelers checks/ Credit card or similar plus you should carry the proof of amount that was declared in your initial application

1b)Proof of funds- Is there a specific form for proof of funds or do we write on plain paper? I am bringing 5000 CAD cash and want to later transfer 33,000 CAD after i open a bank account. So i am going to carry bank statement of UAE showing 33,000 CAD in Dirhams which i will be moving later. Since i am carrying less than 10,000 CAD do i need to declare or since i will be moving 33,000 later it is counted as i bought 5,000+33,000=38,000 CAD which is more than 10,000 CAD. So i have to declare? =>You do not need to declare the 5000 that you are bringing into the country. When you move the 33 thousand that will be dealt with at that time.

2)PR card app- i read somewhere that first time applicants need not fill form IMM 5444E? Can someone confirm please? =>PR card will be sent to you after you land it is about 57 calendar days for processing now. They will confirm your details at the airport and then send it.

3)List of items accompanying (2copies) and List of goods to follow (2 copies) - Can we write on plain paper or there are some specific forms. = >You can write it on plain forms.

4) I will apply for SIN at Canada service centre in person later. Is there a form to be filled or no form is required if i apply in person? Is there too much rush in service centers in Toronto as i am going to Toronto city hall centre =>You can get your SIN number later. They are now only issuing a piece of paper no longer a card. You need to get you SIN number from a Service Canada location. You need a copy of your COPR and photo ID. .

Some good reads:
-http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/rule-for-short-landing-in-canada-to-get-pr-card-and-go-back-to-home-country.280152/
Short landing and taxes : http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/short-landing-taxation.472104/
- http://www.expatforum.com/expats/canada-expat-forum-expats-living-canada/66272-after-landing-how-long-we-have-remain-canada.html
-http://www.expatforum.com/expats/canada-expat-forum-expats-living-canada/702538-short-landing-health-insurance.html
-

[I will keep updating this post with answers , more questions and links for people to read.]

Last edited:
Reactions: Chanix and rockytg

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
You can provide your friends address for PR card delivery. You can do short landing. With your personal car you can travel to Canada with COPR and passport. When I land they didn't ask for proof of funds. Your friend can send you PR card by FedEx.

backupoption123

Star Member
Jan 4, 2017
You can provide your friends address for PR card delivery. You can do short landing. With your personal car you can travel to Canada with COPR and passport. When I land they didn't ask for proof of funds. Your friend can send you PR card by FedEx.
Thanks for reply. I assume you did short landing

1) Was there any form where you had to mention for how many days you will stay? if yes, what did you answer
2) Did the officer ask you anything about short landing? if yes, what

Last edited:

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
I was working in Canada during my landing. In the immigration form we need to write about duration of our stay in Canada. Do you have return ticket also. In my opinion there is no problem in short landing. More over Canada don't have immigration while leaving.

backupoption123

Star Member
Jan 4, 2017
I was working in Canada during my landing. In the immigration form we need to write about duration of our stay in Canada. Do you have return ticket also. In my opinion there is no problem in short landing. More over Canada don't have immigration while leaving.
Yes, I do have return ticket.

Thanks.

backupoption123

Star Member
Jan 4, 2017
Prepare for ARRIVAL
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/arrival.asp

If you are outside Canada
When you arrive in Canada, an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) will greet you.

The officer will ask to see your passport and other travel documents. Do not pack these documents in your luggage. Keep them with you at all times. This will help speed up your entry to Canada.

When you arrive, you must have:

• your valid passport and/or travel documents. Your passport must be a regular, private citizen passport. You cannot immigrate to Canada with a diplomatic, government service or public affairs passport.
  • your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and/or your permanent resident visa. The officer will make sure you are entering Canada before or on the expiry date shown on your COPR. Please note that we cannot extend this document, so you should make sure to use it before it expires.
  • proof that you have the funds to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada.
The officer will ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the terms to immigrate to Canada. They will be similar to the ones you answered when you applied. This should only take a few minutes.

You will not be allowed into Canada if you:

• give false or incomplete information, or
  • do not convince the officer that you meet the conditions to enter Canada.
If you are admissible and there are no problems when you arrive, the officer will allow you to enter Canada as a permanent resident. The officer will also confirm your Canadian mailing address. We will mail you your permanent resident card at this address.

If you change your address within 180 days of arriving in Canada, you must notify us using this online tool.

Chanix

Mar 13, 2018
I am sure there are alot of guys wondering about Short Landing. People have done it, and I have not seen any unlucky ones, but you never know. I need help from "experienced" people to comment/advise on the questions below

Lets say short landing planned is for 2 days and I have a Canadian address of a Friend where things can be mailed. My current Country of residence is USA.

Short Landing:
1) Is it legal to do short landing ? ( e.g. Land Sunday, apply for SIN Monday and fly out evening)
2) When given the airline form Is there an item asking your duration of stay? If yes, is mentioning 2 days ok?
3) Is there any other form where duration of stay is asked?
4) When asked by Immigration officer about duration of current stay, is it advised to tell the truth"? I am here for 2 days, need to go back to USA to wrap up things and plan to be back in couple of months.
5) In addition to 4, can Immigration officer deny the PR to be mailed to friends address as a consequence of Short landing?
6)In addition to 5, can immigration officer decide to allow me as visitor and asks me to come back when I am ready to move in?
7) In addition to 6, can we convince the officer by saying that I will enter Canad via road on my personal vehicle or will get PRTD ( PR travel document) to collect my PR from friend as these are the only two legal ways to enter Canada without PR Card for non-exempt country citizen.
=> You can travel via CAR With your passport and COPR .
8) Is it legal for my relative/friend to post my PR card via fedex to me? => YES

other questions:

1) Proof of funds : can this be just bank letter similar to what I submitted for PR application? Or I need to carry travelers checks, money order etc for the amount that I declared that I will bring to Canada?
=> its good to have some cash/travelers checks/ Credit card or similar plus you should carry the proof of amount that was declared in your initial application

1b)Proof of funds- Is there a specific form for proof of funds or do we write on plain paper? I am bringing 5000 CAD cash and want to later transfer 33,000 CAD after i open a bank account. So i am going to carry bank statement of UAE showing 33,000 CAD in Dirhams which i will be moving later. Since i am carrying less than 10,000 CAD do i need to declare or since i will be moving 33,000 later it is counted as i bought 5,000+33,000=38,000 CAD which is more than 10,000 CAD. So i have to declare? =>You do not need to declare the 5000 that you are bringing into the country. When you move the 33 thousand that will be dealt with at that time.

2)PR card app- i read somewhere that first time applicants need not fill form IMM 5444E? Can someone confirm please? =>PR card will be sent to you after you land it is about 57 calendar days for processing now. They will confirm your details at the airport and then send it.

3)List of items accompanying (2copies) and List of goods to follow (2 copies) - Can we write on plain paper or there are some specific forms. = >You can write it on plain forms.

4) I will apply for SIN at Canada service centre in person later. Is there a form to be filled or no form is required if i apply in person? Is there too much rush in service centers in Toronto as i am going to Toronto city hall centre =>You can get your SIN number later. They are now only issuing a piece of paper no longer a card. You need to get you SIN number from a Service Canada location. You need a copy of your COPR and photo ID. .

Some good reads:
-http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/rule-for-short-landing-in-canada-to-get-pr-card-and-go-back-to-home-country.280152/
Short landing and taxes : http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/short-landing-taxation.472104/
- http://www.expatforum.com/expats/canada-expat-forum-expats-living-canada/66272-after-landing-how-long-we-have-remain-canada.html
-http://www.expatforum.com/expats/canada-expat-forum-expats-living-canada/702538-short-landing-health-insurance.html
-

[I will keep updating this post with answers , more questions and links for people to read.]
Hi, I would like to know your experience when you actually did your short landing! I have the same questions you did and by the dates you mentioned you already did your short landing! Please let me know how was it. Did they required only Proof of funds with a bank account from your home country or you actually took the money to Canada that first time?