+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alberta Opportunity Stream (PGWP) - Employer will shut down business

Btama

Jan 17, 2024
Hi everyone!

I want to apply for AOS and I will complete 6 months of full-time work experience in 2 weeks. However my employer announced last week that he will retire and shut down the business in 2 months. A new job opportunity came up and I want to take it so I don't risk being unemployed. My question is, do I have to work for another 6 months with the new employer to apply? Or can I add the 5 months I already have with current employer + 1 month with new employer? If so, do I have to attach a reference letter and job offer from both of them? Or add the pay slips from the past 5 months to prove that I worked full-time? Not sure what to do, any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Melody.a10zsd

Jan 21, 2024
We're kinda same. They said it doesn't matter if you change employers as long as it's still the same NOC.

In my case, I already have a 6 months of experience and went on maternity leave. Now I planning to apply for aos too. Still clariffing if I need to go back to work again with the same employer and same noc to prove that I'm working the time I submit my application.

Btama

Jan 17, 2024
Hi Melody, not yet. I will complete 6 months of work this week. The job opportunity I had fell through, so I'm still with the same employer. They said they will still support my application even though they're shutting down. I guess I will apply for AOS anyways, and when I change jobs I will present them a new job offer. In your case, I believe if you are on maternity leave you are still employed, so that shouldn't be a problem? You would need a reference letter from the company explaining your job duties, which date you started working and so on.