+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alberta health care coverage

sdhou

Star Member
Dec 5, 2017
Hello all,

Are my dependent kids eligible for health care coverage if they enter as visitors? I will be on work permit.

Thanks in advance.

sdhou

Star Member
Dec 5, 2017
That's the confusing part. According to AHCIP website, all eligible residents of Alberta and their dependents must register with them. As far as I know work permit holders are eligible residents.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
That's the confusing part. According to AHCIP website, all eligible residents of Alberta and their dependents must register with them. As far as I know work permit holders are eligible residents.
Your kids need to be on dependent visa ( W2?) for province health coverage.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,

Are my dependent kids eligible for health care coverage if they enter as visitors? I will be on work permit.

Thanks in advance.
Hi

Yes, you can include your children as dependents when you register for coverage. When you enter Canada, ask CBSA to issue the children Visitor Records for the same length as your work permit.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hi

Yes, you can include your children as dependents when you register for coverage. When you enter Canada, ask CBSA to issue the children Visitor Records for the same length as your work permit.
This is interesting and useful information. I am a Canadian PR and was planning to bring US born kid to Canada on visitor visa. I was told that my kid will need to remain on private insurance until her PR is processed via Family route.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
This is interesting and useful information. I am a Canadian PR and was planning to bring US born kid to Canada on visitor visa. I was told that my kid will need to remain on private insurance until her PR is processed via Family route.
Many do have to wait. It depends on the province.

sdhou

Star Member
Dec 5, 2017
Thank you, will ask for that. My kids are US citizens and below school age. The lawyer working on the case said that he will file for visitor permit(?) for them. I am finding conflicting information on the net.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thank you, will ask for that. My kids are US citizens and below school age. The lawyer working on the case said that he will file for visitor permit(?) for them. I am finding conflicting information on the net.
Your US citizen kids can get visitor permit right at the border. You do not need to pay hefty fees to lawyer for this. ;)

Did you not mention your kids as dependents in work permit application?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Stupid lawyer. There is no visitor permit to file for ahead of time. When you enter Canada, you will ask CBSA to issue them Visitor Records.