+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alberta driving licence from Banff

subhankardebnath

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
Hi can anyone please tell me by giving more info about how to get AB driving licence? I am new to canada on PR and currently baed in Lake Louise, Banff. Is there any teaching school who can help me out?

Oblivia

Nov 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
subhankardebnath said:
Hi can anyone please tell me by giving more info about how to get AB driving licence?
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/531.htm

subhankardebnath said:
I am new to canada on PR and currently baed in Lake Louise, Banff. Is there any teaching school who can help me out?
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/4474.htm (top of page 2)

steph816

Star Member
Dec 21, 2009
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
AOR Received.
01-06-2011
File Transfer...
13-06-2011 VO began processing 06-10-2011
Med's Request
10-01-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2011, 27-02-2012
Interview........
23-05-2012
Passport Req..
19-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2012
If you're a new driver you need a graduated drivers licence. This is what teenagers need to get first. You can then only drive if someone in the car has a drivers license. After 2 years ( I think) with this GDL you can then get a real drivers license. There are driving schools everywhere, just search online.
If you have a license from your home country, it might be good here. We have. Reciprocity agreement with certain countries, check it out. Go to service Alberta website

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are a new driver in AB, you need to pass the written test and you will get a learners license, also known as a class 7 license. This license does not allow you to drive by yourself. You must always drive with a fully licensed person by your side.

After 1 year on this license, you may attempt the basic road test. If you pass it, you get a GDL license. This license will allow you to drive alone but there are some restrictions compared to a regular license like loss of license at half the demerit points you could have with a regular license and 0% blood alcohol level allowed.

After 2 years with a GDL license, you can finally take the advanced road test and get a full licence, class 5.

If you already have a foreign license, go to a registry and find out what you have to do to get it accepted. If you are from a country that Alberta has an agreement with, you may be able to exchange it for a full license. If not, you may at least get credit for your driving experience and be allowed to take the road test and get a GDL license or a full license without the waiting period.

khankhan

Apr 9, 2014
Visa Office......
Isl/London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
aug 2013
Med's Done....
nov 2014
Passport Req..
jan/2014
where is the registry office in calgary so i can go & check my licence and see if i can get any credit for my international licence.
do i have to go their personally or i can call or emial them.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
khankhan said:
where is the registry office in calgary so i can go & check my licence and see if i can get any credit for my international licence.
do i have to go their personally or i can call or emial them.
There are lots of registry offices in calgary just google "registry office calgary" many will appear on the map.
No need to waste money on driving schools if you already know how to drive a car.

This is the process to get a driving licence:
1) goto any nearby registry office ask for the book/literature to prepare yourself for a knowledge test or you can read it online at http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/content/docType45/Production/DriversGuide2015.pdf

2) once you think you can give a driving knowledge test goto any nearby registry office pay the fee (about 20 dollars) and pass the knowledge test. it is a computer based test. see a sample practice test at http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/doctype47/production/quiz/PracTestOne/quizmaker.html

You will have to surrender your previous driving licence (the one from your home country) in the registry office. while filling the forms mention your old driving licence and fill up the form required to include your old driving experience.

if you pass the knowledge test the registry guy will give you a temporary paper learner's driving licence. your actual Learner driving licence (class 7) will be mailed to you at your home address ( it will take approx 1-2 weeks). you can drive a car (with conditions) the day you pass the knowledge test and do a lot of practice for the next step.

3) after 3 to 5 weeks you can again visit any near by registry office and check if your experience is been add in your records. if your previous experience is added (assuming you are driving for more than a year in your home country) you can book your appointment for road test any time. Few weeks back one of my friend who was from Pakistan having a normal Pakistani driving licence (he didn't have the Pakistani International driving licence) got all his past driving included and was able take his road test (he passed the road test and he is now holding a full driving licence).

4) after a bit of practice with your learner licence Give your Road test..pass it and you will get your new FULL driving licence....mailed at your home address.
5) based on your experience you can again challenge by going through an advance road test to drive other stuff (taxi, truck, etc..etc)

hope it helps

khankhan

Apr 9, 2014
Visa Office......
Isl/London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
aug 2013
Med's Done....
nov 2014
Passport Req..
jan/2014
kriv said:
There are lots of registry offices in calgary just google "registry office calgary" many will appear on the map.
No need to waste money on driving schools if you already know how to drive a car.

This is the process to get a driving licence:
1) goto any nearby registry office ask for the book/literature to prepare yourself for a knowledge test or you can read it online at http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/content/docType45/Production/DriversGuide2015.pdf

2) once you think you can give a driving knowledge test goto any nearby registry office pay the fee (about 20 dollars) and pass the knowledge test. it is a computer based test. see a sample practice test at http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/doctype47/production/quiz/PracTestOne/quizmaker.html

You will have to surrender your previous driving licence (the one from your home country) in the registry office. while filling the forms mention your old driving licence and fill up the form required to include your old driving experience.

if you pass the knowledge test the registry guy will give you a temporary paper learner's driving licence. your actual Learner driving licence (class 7) will be mailed to you at your home address ( it will take approx 1-2 weeks). you can drive a car (with conditions) the day you pass the knowledge test and do a lot of practice for the next step.

3) after 3 to 5 weeks you can again visit any near by registry office and check if your experience is been add in your records. if your previous experience is added (assuming you are driving for more than a year in your home country) you can book your appointment for road test any time. Few weeks back one of my friend who was from Pakistan having a normal Pakistani driving licence (he didn't have the Pakistani International driving licence) got all his past driving included and was able take his road test (he passed the road test and he is now holding a full driving licence).

4) after a bit of practice with your learner licence Give your Road test..pass it and you will get your new FULL driving licence....mailed at your home address.
5) based on your experience you can again challenge by going through an advance road test to drive other stuff (taxi, truck, etc..etc)

hope it helps

thankyou so much.. you are very helpful.. are you from pakistan as well .. I am looking for a share room or house in Calgary .I checked online but If you know any students who is willing to rent , i ll appreciate. God bless