08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
January 14, 2017. Praise God!
Hi all,

I'll be landing in Calgary a week from today (praise God!). I've sold my car so I can buy one as soon as I get there and I wanted to ask a couple of questions for anyone who has gone through the process of obtaining an Albertan driver's license (a normal Class 5 license). Sadly, I am not from a country with a reciprocal license exchange agreement with Canada, so I won't be able to just exchange my current license for an Albertan license. I've been driving for almost 11 years now, so I am not scared of the driving test; however, I wanted to see if anyone has any comments about the process/test.
Also, I understand that I need to provide a proof of residence. Since I want to get my license right away, and since I don't have a permanent place to stay yet, I was wondering if a hotel/Airbnb reservation (along with my landing record of course) would be sufficient proof of my living in Alberta. If not, does anyone know what else I could do? I already have a bank account in Scotiabank, so I guess I could always have them add my Airbnb address to my account and print a document that shows that address. Would that work? Otherwise, must I wait until I have permanent accommodations or at least some kind of statement/bill before I get my license? I know I have 90 days to get my license after I arrive in Alberta, but I also know that I'll need some kind of ID for most of the stuff I have to do after landing, so it would be nice to have a local government ID as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help/comments!

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
VictorCA said:
Hi all,

I'll be landing in Calgary a week from today (praise God!). I've sold my car so I can buy one as soon as I get there and I wanted to ask a couple of questions for anyone who has gone through the process of obtaining an Albertan driver's license (a normal Class 5 license). Sadly, I am not from a country with a reciprocal license exchange agreement with Canada, so I won't be able to just exchange my current license for an Albertan license. I've been driving for almost 11 years now, so I am not scared of the driving test; however, I wanted to see if anyone has any comments about the process/test.
Also, I understand that I need to provide a proof of residence. Since I want to get my license right away, and since I don't have a permanent place to stay yet, I was wondering if a hotel/Airbnb reservation (along with my landing record of course) would be sufficient proof of my living in Alberta. If not, does anyone know what else I could do? I already have a bank account in Scotiabank, so I guess I could always have them add my Airbnb address to my account and print a document that shows that address. Would that work? Otherwise, must I wait until I have permanent accommodations or at least some kind of statement/bill before I get my license? I know I have 90 days to get my license after I arrive in Alberta, but I also know that I'll need some kind of ID for most of the stuff I have to do after landing, so it would be nice to have a local government ID as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help/comments!
Looks like you know well about AB driver license.

You can use your passport as ID until get the driver license.

AB driver licence process is:

1. Pass the computer test.

2. Apply for GDL exemption, surrending your driver license, and providing address.
You'll receive a AB class 7 license which allow you to drive ONLY while a person with Class 5 license is accompanying you

3. After 2-3 weeks you'll be allowed to go for road test.
I recommend to try firts with Basic Road test for CLASS 5 GDL license
If passed you can drive alone
To avoid some limitations you can take the Advanced road test for full class 5 license

Because of the 2-3 weeks waiting period and the chances to don't pass the test inmediately it's highly recommended to apply for driver license ASAP, planning for alternative transportation in the meantime.

Note you can buy a car and insurance with your actual driver license.

Also note not all the Registries has the option of renting a car for the test

Reactions: Fantastica

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
Thank you very much for the information, Gregor, very useful. I'm glad to see that I am able to purchase a car and its insurance with my existing license. I have a question about the process, though: as a new single immigrant, I will be driving by myself. If I surrender my license and I get a class 7 license, I will not be able to have any class 5 drivers in the car with me. Did I understand that part correctly? If so, that would mean that I wouldn't be able to drive my car for 2-3 weeks, unless maybe I can get a second license from my home country so I can use it during those 2-3 weeks. Would you please confirm if I understood the process correctly in that I would only have a class 7 license for 2-3 weeks?

This is what the website says:

• visit a Registry Agent office
  • hand in your valid driver’s licence that is equivalent or higher to an Alberta Class 5 licence
  • check to see if you can apply for the Graduated Driver’s Licence (GDL) exemption program and complete an application
  • pass a Class 7 knowledge test and get a Class 7 driver's licence
  • Your licence, application for GDL exemption and support documents will be sent to the Alberta Government for review.

For a full Class 5 licence:

• if you can prove that you have more than 2 years of driving experience, you’ll need to pass an advanced road test
  • if you cannot prove more than 2 years driving experience, you’ll need to pass a road test to get a Class 5 GDL licence
  • once you have more than 2 years driving experience, you’ll need to pass an advanced road test to get a full Class 5 driver's licence

As per the bolded text, it sounds like I can go straight to the class 5 license if I can prove that I've been driving for 2 years or more (which I guess I could prove with how long I've had my current license and how long ago I bought my previous vehicle), but I'm not sure. The process is actually a bit confusing to me. Any help, please?

Thanks again!

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yeah, you can get GDL exemption but the process is, as said:
- pass computer test
- get class 7 license, surrending original license when applying for GDL exemption
- Wait 2-3 weeks for exemption approval
- pass class 5 basic or advanced road test

You cannot drive alone with a class 7 license
(A co-worker helped me with this)

You cannot use any other driver license during this period because it's illegal holding more than one driver license, you're allowed only to have your AB driver license.

Having any other driver license (like a duplicate of your current license) is a serious offense and a bad way to start your PR if caught

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
Oh, I see. I was hoping there was a way for me to skip the 2-3 weeks waiting period if I could prove that I had more than 2 years' driving experience. Do you know by any chance what kind of factors go into whether they approve the exemption or not?

Thanks for letting me know about the two licenses! I wouldn't want any kind of trouble with a country's that's been so kind as to let me become a PR.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
VictorCA said:
Oh, I see. I was hoping there was a way for me to skip the 2-3 weeks waiting period if I could prove that I had more than 2 years' driving experience. Do you know by any chance what kind of factors go into whether they approve the exemption or not?
Some tips about the GDL exemption.

- If your driver license is not in english a certified translation could be needed (if your driver license has your picture supposedly is not needed but it depends on the Registry, I wasn't required at Calgary, but my wife was required at Edmonton, it depends on the registry I guess)

- Unless is a US driver license it's recommended to come here with a "International driver license", it allows you to drive in some cases and could help with the exemption (no sure), you have to surrender both your regular and international license.

Note a International Driver License has not value without your regular license, and shouldn't be considered as two different driver licenses (some people could be confused and think that's ilegal, but ithe isn't)

- A license with not picture will need the International driver license for sure.

I'm not sure about the factors, just the experience and perhaps how easily they can confirm the authenticity of your original driver license, it depends of the issuing country, I guess. The international license could help in some cases.

Contact your county vehicles authority to get a official International driver license

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Just our experience. Don't plan on buying a car right away. There is no issue with you buying one, the issue will arise with registering the vehicle once it is insured. You won't be able to register the car without a valid class 5 licence issued in Alberta (or Canada).
When you buy a car, run a lien search before you hand over any cash (unless its new or from a reputable dealer). Running a vehicle history is also advisable and check its current status (clean, rebuilt, salvage or non registerable). There are some pretty unscrupulous characters selling cars here. Check and make sure it's been registered in Alberta previously, otherwise there are more hoops to jump through ($$$$).

When you land, go to service Canada and get your SIN number.
Apply for your Alberta health care (serves as proof of Alberta residency) and read the drivers handbook. http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/content/docType45/Production/DriversGuidefinal2014.pdf
Do get an international drivers permit so you can drive until you are ready to exchange. You'll also need it to rent a car if you decide to go that way (you can get cheap car rental for a about $225/week plus fuel).

The exemption is based on whether your licence is in fact officially issued. It's send to the licence investigation division to determine if it's real or fake. make sure you ask for the exemption when you exchange your licence and keep a photocopy for your records. We had to ask for another registries person to help because the one we had didn't have a clue about the exemption program! There are very few countries that they won't allow the exception if it checks out. The wait times for confirmation of the licence varies. We got ours in a week for a basic class 5 and full confirmation within 2 weeks for a full licence.

The test for the full licence is more rigorous than the basic. Before you exchange your licence, take the time to choose the specific test centre you will use and spend a few hours following the tester as he/she takes people out on their tests (we just checked out who was going for road tests when we went in to book the road test to find out who the instructors were and then hung out in the parking lot until they took the next one out) to learn and practice the route looking for subtle rules (play ground zones, school zone, speed changes, etc.). They do have a tendency to fail initial applicants resulting in a retest. Study the drivers handbook.......they are particularly fussy about parallel parking, lane changes after a turn, speed limits and full stops.

The local ID is a pain. If you ask for "just ID" and you have a licence, they will ask you to surrender your licence first. Not recommended as, if you surrender it for ID, you won't be able to apply for the exemption when you apply for the licence later and you will be stuck with a learners permit.

Reactions: Fantastica

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Buletruck said:
Just our experience. Don't plan on buying a car right away. There is no issue with you buying one, the issue will arise with registering the vehicle once it is insured. You won't be able to register the car without a valid class 5 licence issued in Alberta (or Canada)....
Back in 2012 TFW were allowed to drive up to a year with foreign license and international driver license.

I was able to insure my car with AMA using these driver licenses and my passport as I'D

I had no issues at the registry using my passport as ID

Perhaps things changed, so before buying a car it should be better check with insurances companies and registry about the foreign driver license

And extra tip: winter tires or all weather tires are extremely useful in Alberta

One more, don't expect to pass the firts road test unless you have previous help of someone with recent test experience, it's not too complicated but they are some important tricks

I fail my advanced test one day and passing the basic test the next day after knowing my fails. A week later I passed my advanced test

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Perhaps things changed, so before buying a car it should be better check with insurances companies and registry about the foreign driver license
It may be possible, but you are correct about checking into it first. The registries staff were not the sharpest when it came to the whole process. We probably had more understanding g of the requirements than they did, but they got the final say. As I said we had to get others in the office to explain the exemption, so the advice they gave us may have been questionable.

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
Thank you both for your responses, they have been extremely helpful and valuable! I actually called Service Alberta today and the lady I spoke with confirmed that I will be able to register my vehicle using my foreign license and ID. It looks like I should be able to buy the vehicle, purchase insurance for it, and register it within my first few days in Canada, which is what I wanted. I will wait a little bit before applying for my license (she confirmed the 90 days I'll have), especially since I will need some kind of proof of address in order to do that. Also, I wouldn't want to take the driving test while it's snowy/icy, so April sounds like a great time to take it!

Thanks again. You guys are awesome ;D

calgary2017

May 15, 2016
Madrid
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-3-2016
AOR Received.
17-4-2016
File Transfer...
17-05-2016
Med's Done....
04-03-2016
Passport Req..
21-09-2016 DM
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2016 COPR
Gregor.Samsa said:
Some tips about the GDL exemption.

- If your driver license is not in english a certified translation could be needed (if your driver license has your picture supposedly is not needed but it depends on the Registry, I wasn't required at Calgary, .....
Hello

I will land soon. am from Spain and know I have to have a certified translation. (i asked it last summer at the AMA Alberta Motor Association in Calgary)
My question is: Where can I find the list of the Certified Translators accepted by them ? or do you think that the same AMA will tell me which Certified trasnlator to use ?

Thanks

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
calgary2017 said:
Hello

I will land soon. am from Spain and know I have to have a certified translation. (i asked it last summer at the AMA Alberta Motor Association in Calgary)
My question is: Where can I find the list of the Certified Translators accepted by them ? or do you think that the same AMA will tell me which Certified trasnlator to use ?

Thanks
Just use kijiji to find it

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-services/calgary/certified-translation-spanish/k0c72l1700199

Don't use online services, there are some "real" Spanish certified translators at Calgary.

I recommend you trying in another Registry different than AMA, I applied for GDL exemption at Calgary downtown and the registry said a translation wasn't needed because my driver license has a picture, my wife did it at other Registry and they asked for translation.

If you have a Spain driver license and an International license try again in other Registry explaining about the picture driver license, perhaps works

Jun 27, 2018
i have a question, since you did not get your pr card after you landed, what did you use to establish your immigration status?

please advise, was your confirmation of permanent residence enough for that purpose?