+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Airlines can check the documents

gilldevinders

Feb 9, 2013
I went to the ticket booker to book the tickets of my family to home country . As I am on pr visa. But I have to go back for urgent work. I cannot take my pr card because it will take time that I cannot wait. So ticket booker told me not to travel without pr card as airline will not going to get you in from Canada airport to their plane. Is that possible that the airline will reject us from Canadian airport to not to Board.Plz tell

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The airline will not stop you from leaving Canada as long as you have a visa to the country you are going to. Their only worry is that they will take you some place where you are denied entry and they will be held responsible.

Once you are outside Canada, you will be able to re-enter either by having someone in Canada mail your PR card to you or by applying for a travel document at a Canadian embassy where you are or if you are visa exempt to Canada, you can enter without either of them.

gilldevinders

Feb 9, 2013
I landed on 5 feb 2013 and planning to go back soon. If pr cards come that is good enough , we will get them from courier or if someone is coming to home country he or she will carry for us. But if pr cards will not come and cic will call us on to come and sign again or to take your pr card yourself physically. Then what ? And another question is can the Canadian embassy at my home country reject my pr by not giving me the travel document

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you get a letter to show up and pick up your PR card and you can not because you are outside Canada, you contact the CIC office that sent the letter and tell them that. Worst case, if you end up losing the chance of your first free PR card, you can apply for a PR card once you arrive in Canada. It will be treated like a renewal so you will have to wait around 3 months, you will need new photos for it and you will have to pay a $50 application fee.

Your visa office can not refuse you a travel document if you still meet the residency obligation. In order to meet the residency obligation, you must stay in Canada 2/5 years (730 days) which means not be outside Canada more than 3/5 years (1095 days). If you have been a PR for less than 3 years, it is impossible for you to be in breach of the residency requirements because even if you left right away after landing, you'd still have time to come back and stay 730 days so as long as you take care of this before that time, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Alloba

Aug 14, 2012
[ In order to meet the residency obligation, you must stay in Canada 2/5 years (730 days) which means not be outside Canada more than 3/5 years (1095 days).

Dear Leon,

I appreciate your great contributions & I believe everybody here do too... I have one question going in my head...
Is it true, that after landing the immigrant shall come every six month once & then can leave & again repeat the process in order to be able to keep the PR status active.. (Putting in mind that Iam planning to come down for settlement after 2 years from my initial date of landing & then remain in Canada (Which will be for almost 3 years or more)?

Thanks a lot

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alloba said:
[ In order to meet the residency obligation, you must stay in Canada 2/5 years (730 days) which means not be outside Canada more than 3/5 years (1095 days).

Dear Leon,

I appreciate your great contributions & I believe everybody here do too... I have one question going in my head...
Is it true, that after landing the immigrant shall come every six month once & then can leave & again repeat the process in order to be able to keep the PR status active.. (Putting in mind that Iam planning to come down for settlement after 2 years from my initial date of landing & then remain in Canada (Which will be for almost 3 years or more)?

Thanks a lot
The 6 month timeline was under the previous Immigration Act and centred around intent i.e. if you re-entered Canada every 6 months then this could be deemed as intent to maintain PR status. PR holders were encouraged to apply for a RRP (Returning Resident Permit) to further support this intent.

Intent went out the window with the new Immigration and Refugee Protection Act that received assent abck in June 2002. Since then its all about physical presence in Canada or absences that are considered as presence e.g you work for the Federal Government. To maintain your Residence Obligation (RO) you must/or be able to have 730 days of physical presence in Canada each rolling 5 year period commencing on your landing date (not PR issued date). A review of your RO is defacto carried out each time you deal with CIC/ CBSA e.g. at each entry into Canada, at PR Card renewal, sponsoring a spouse/child etc.

You will be ok with your planned travel pattern as long as you meet the 730 days requirement. Many PR holders stay out for 3 years then return to Canada and remain without leaving for 2 years. This is a risky strategy due to the lack of a cushion for emergency travel etc. Do keep a record of your travels (boarding cards etc) and proof of physical presence in Canada - you will need this at PR Card renewal time.

gilldevinders

Feb 9, 2013
Thanks Leon. When I go to Canada embassy to apply TD. They will take interview or can ask question , as if I apply TD after one year or more.