+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AIP and open work permit

lovingchange

Nov 7, 2011
HI everyone,

I am new to this forum so this question/topic may have been discussed in the past. I thought I would just briefly describe my situation here just to get some opinions.

I have recently obtained my master's degree and am eager to start to look for a job. I also just found out that I am no longer eligible for the post-grad work permit as I already had it 3 years ago after I got my bachelor's degree. From reading on the internet here and there, I found out that I am eligible for the open work permit if I get my AIP. I received my AIP last November and I did not submit the OWP application with it (as I never realized I could do that!).

So my question is: am I indeed eligible for the OWP? I submitted the online application just on Sept 14 and all it asked for was my passport copy and the medical exam receipt. It just seems a little too simple....I may be a little paranoid because I am worried that I won't get it. I had a few job offers after I graduated this summer but I could not accept any since I didn't have my work permit yet :(

Any opinions/comments would be greatly appreciated!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lovingchange said:
I have recently obtained my master's degree and am eager to start to look for a job. I also just found out that I am no longer eligible for the post-grad work permit as I already had it 3 years ago after I got my bachelor's degree. From reading on the internet here and there, I found out that I am eligible for the open work permit if I get my AIP. I received my AIP last November and I did not submit the OWP application with it (as I never realized I could do that!).

So my question is: am I indeed eligible for the OWP? I submitted the online application just on Sept 14 and all it asked for was my passport copy and the medical exam receipt. It just seems a little too simple....I may be a little paranoid because I am worried that I won't get it. I had a few job offers after I graduated this summer but I could not accept any since I didn't have my work permit yet :(
If you have AIP through inland family class, you are indeed eligible for an open work permit. Most of the work permits have a processing time of 60 days online, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp so you should be getting it soon.

lovingchange

Nov 7, 2011
Hi Leon,

Thanks very much for your reply!

Yes my husband is a Canadian citizen and the PR application was through inland process. I received a letter last November saying that my husband is eligible as a sponsor (I assume that's the so-called AIP letter). It's a relief to know that the OWP is on my way!!

mexicanito

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
edmonton
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi we are in the same boat, kind of... I am an american citizen and my wife is Canadian, our PR app has being for a while in Vegrevile, but just about 12 weeks ago I was granted IAP... I am a bit confused with your OWP though... when you applied for it back in sep you did not have AIP yet right? chances are, that one will be declined, I was going to process mine through the internet but a lot of people from the Inland thread 2010 (You should join, they are very knowledgeable) told me it was better to mail it to the PR dept instead of doing it online... to me it makes more sense to just do it online, sounds faster but o well, you never know with CIC... anyway I just mailed mine last week, but it is a two page for that you have to fill... is you have question, join the 2010 inland thread... there is a lot of people who know about this better than me... I cant wait to have my OWP myself good luck

lovingchange

Nov 7, 2011
Hi Mexicanito,

Sorry I did not explain my situation a little more clearly - I actually applied for my PR back in 2008 Sept, and received AIP in Nov 2010. So it's already been almost a year since I received the AIP (and I just applied for the spousal OWP on Sept 14, 2011). I didn't submit the OWP application with my PR application because at that time I didn't know I could do that! I've been a full time student for the past two years and have just graduated.

The reason why I chose to apply online was I did not feel safe to mail the documents. Several of my friends have incidents where they lose they passports/permits and I really don't want that to happen to me. As long as I can get the permit safely, I don't mind waiting for a few extra weeks. And you are right, you never know what's happening with CIC. My PR has been taking FOREVER to process. My husband and I are both students (I just finished my masters degree and he's purpueing his PhD and we are both in biomedicine/healthcare). We've been dating for 5 years before we decided to get married. I suspect that because nethier of us has a job yet, CIC just decided to keep dragging my application and as of this Sept it's been 3 years....So anyway, when I applied for my post-grad work permit back in 2008, it only took them 3 weeks to mail it back to me. They are just really unpredictable!