+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AINP - SRS H1B Landing Experience and post landing related activities.

anthcott@yahoo.com

Star Member
Jul 7, 2009
bluesky19 said:
1. I don't see any issue if u take a rental car and drive from US to Canada.
2.yes I too heard the same thing.. I do have few friends in Calgary and would like to give one of theirs address for my pr card.. but not sure
if its okay if we do that from the port of entry..if we are going to return back to US. I am too in the same dilemma and not sure what is the best option.. will update if I know something ..
Thanks bluesky19. Just to clarify, we intend to enter Canada and spend a week or so in Alberta and then return to USA. I am not sure whether this one week stay would be viewed as initiation of my settlement or just taking care of landing formalities. Even if I manage to get the PR card mailed to an address in Alberta, I also saw someone asking whether mails containing PR cards going out of the country get scanned and not allowed to leave the country. Any knowledge on this?

bluesky19

Sep 11, 2013
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 13, 2013
Doc's Request.
none
Nomination.....
Jan 03, 2013
AOR Received.
July 04, 2013
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
RPRF 27th Aug 2013
Med's Request
16th Aug 2013
Med's Done....
20th Aug 2013
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
07th march 2014
VISA ISSUED...
27th march 2014
LANDED..........
30 july 2014.. finally !!
anthcott@yahoo.com said:
Thanks bluesky19. Just to clarify, we intend to enter Canada and spend a week or so in Alberta and then return to USA. I am not sure whether this one week stay would be viewed as initiation of my settlement or just taking care of landing formalities. Even if I manage to get the PR card mailed to an address in Alberta, I also saw someone asking whether mails containing PR cards going out of the country get scanned and not allowed to leave the country. Any knowledge on this?
yes buddy i too heard the same.. yes..they say that it cannot be mailed out of country..possibly check out from your freinds who ever is coming to US back and u can pick it from them..i see this as a better option and would be doing the same..
hope it helps..
i will update u once i get any update talking to someone about it. okay..

anthcott@yahoo.com

Star Member
Jul 7, 2009
bluesky19 said:
yes buddy i too heard the same.. yes..they say that it cannot be mailed out of country..possibly check out from your freinds who ever is coming to US back and u can pick it from them..i see this as a better option and would be doing the same..
hope it helps..
i will update u once i get any update talking to someone about it. okay..
Bluesky19 unfortunately I don't have anyone in Alberta who can get my PR Card to the USA, but I am prepared to go there again and pick it up if the PR Card is mailed to my address in Canada. My main concern is if the IO feels I am not moving permanently will they just hold mailing the PR Card even if I have a mailing address in Canada until they are convinced I am permanently moving in? Any thoughts on this?

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Hello All,

I have been a silent member of this forum. I must say I have been helped by many posts for whole process. I wanted to share my landing experience with you all because I had a totally different kind of experience than most of the people here.

Just a back ground : I have been living in USA from last 9 years and have been working for last 5 years as a Mechanical Engineer in Oil/Gas Company and had applied for AINP in 2010 July, Got COPR in Feb 2014.

So, we landed in Calgary on March 6th 2014( Direct flight Houston to Calgary). It was a very small airport which was kinda a cozy. When we got out of the plane, I asked a old person ( volunteering for Calgary airport) about restroom and he was very rude. I was shocked with that behavior!~!! I thought that was weird reaction. Anyways, then we proceeded to the customs, the officer was also very rude...no hello...no greetings at all...which is very rude at least in US. I thought that's ok that's may be people do not wish here. Then is he asked me that I am immigrating here? I said yes. He asked my have you applied for US Green Card, I said yes, then what he said was shocking to me......... he said...."so Canada gave you immigration before US.." in a very sarcastic way.....then went on to say to himself...."why have Canada given it?" ( I heard this) ....I was now pissed.....and felt very unwelcome. I asked him what did he said....he went to saying...."nothing". He said than to go to immigration and then collect bags...so asked him where is immigration he "you can find it"...what THE FU**? What is your problem dude?
Anyways I collected my bags still didn't see immigration then went to talk to two ladies collecting customs form before exiting airport but they were making faces as if they do not want to work there and by working there they are obliging people. Anyways I found immigration.

Went in to the immigration office, the officer was ok...no special greetings ( even though we greeted him that how we do it in US). While our officer was working on our case there was this guy next to us being interviewed by other officer was GRILLED on many issues.....The officers were kinda shouting at him.....and misbehaving with him.... they asked his address in Calgary and asked phone number of his friend...to my surprise they CALLED the guy's friend in front of all the people and asked about if they are expecting this guy.....Anyways to cut long story short....they very very rude. I have been to many countries and I my opinion I found Canada to the rudest of All.
We stayed with a friend for 1 day and came back.

When I came back to Houston, I felt a huge difference in the people and their behavior in general. I really felt that why US is one of the greatest country in the world.

We have kind of decided to not to move to Canada as of yet but who knows what plans does our lives have!

I am sorry if have shared some negative things there but I feel it also very important to share bad experiences on this great forum.

Please PM me if you want to know some specifics about my experience.

Thanks,

VJ

Alamgeer

Aug 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9th Nov 2012
Doc's Request.
24th Jun 2013
Nomination.....
5th Oct 2012
AOR Received.
9th Jan 2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
28th Jan 2013
Med's Done....
17th August 2013
Passport Req..
10th February 2014
LANDED..........
28th May 2014
Hello funloving

Sad to heard about your landing experience!

I heard telling Green card filing to Canadian agent may interrupt your application in USA.

Have you every heard about it.

Thanks

guduru

Feb 19, 2012
Hi there i am raj i am from India can anyone tell me is Alberta still accepting applications under SRS category.please

[/quote]

windoski

Jun 13, 2013
funloving said:
Hello All,

I have been a silent member of this forum. I must say I have been helped by many posts for whole process. I wanted to share my landing experience with you all because I had a totally different kind of experience than most of the people here.

Just a back ground : I have been living in USA from last 9 years and have been working for last 5 years as a Mechanical Engineer in Oil/Gas Company and had applied for AINP in 2010 July, Got COPR in Feb 2014.

So, we landed in Calgary on March 6th 2014( Direct flight Houston to Calgary). It was a very small airport which was kinda a cozy. When we got out of the plane, I asked a old person ( volunteering for Calgary airport) about restroom and he was very rude. I was shocked with that behavior!~!! I thought that was weird reaction. Anyways, then we proceeded to the customs, the officer was also very rude...no hello...no greetings at all...which is very rude at least in US. I thought that's ok that's may be people do not wish here. Then is he asked me that I am immigrating here? I said yes. He asked my have you applied for US Green Card, I said yes, then what he said was shocking to me......... he said...."so Canada gave you immigration before US.." in a very sarcastic way.....then went on to say to himself...."why have Canada given it?" ( I heard this) ....I was now pissed.....and felt very unwelcome. I asked him what did he said....he went to saying...."nothing". He said than to go to immigration and then collect bags...so asked him where is immigration he "you can find it"...what THE FU**? What is your problem dude?
Anyways I collected my bags still didn't see immigration then went to talk to two ladies collecting customs form before exiting airport but they were making faces as if they do not want to work there and by working there they are obliging people. Anyways I found immigration.

Went in to the immigration office, the officer was ok...no special greetings ( even though we greeted him that how we do it in US). While our officer was working on our case there was this guy next to us being interviewed by other officer was GRILLED on many issues.....The officers were kinda shouting at him.....and misbehaving with him.... they asked his address in Calgary and asked phone number of his friend...to my surprise they CALLED the guy's friend in front of all the people and asked about if they are expecting this guy.....Anyways to cut long story short....they very very rude. I have been to many countries and I my opinion I found Canada to the rudest of All.

When I came back to Houston, I felt a huge difference in the people and their behavior in general. I really felt that why US is one of the greatest country in the world.

We have kind of decided to not to move to Canada as of yet but who knows what plans does our lives have!

I am sorry if have shared some negative things there but I feel it also very important to share bad experiences on this great forum.

Thanks,

VJ
Sorry about this...u were just unlucky on that day!

Things can change positively for you in Canada if you decided to have a change of heart, you never call tell.

All the best!

anthcott@yahoo.com

Star Member
Jul 7, 2009
windoski said:
Sorry about this...u were just unlucky on that day!

Things can change positively for you in Canada if you decided to have a change of heart, you never call tell.

All the best!
Hello windoski, I am also planning to land in Canada next month, but was a bit taken aback by the bad experience funloving had during his landing, but like you mentioned I did feel it must have been an odd bad day. My question to you is have you already landed in Canada and living there? Looks like Canada has made things positive for you, if so can you share you experience with settling in Canada? This will increase my enthusiasm to settle in Canada (Alberta to be more precise as I am coming through Alberta's provincial nominee program).

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
funloving said:
Hello All,

Thanks,

VJ
In fairness to Alberta, Canada... not all people here are rude. I have lived and worked in the US and moved to Calgary, AB under the AINP US worker program. I would say we were treated well when we entered Alberta via the Sweetgrass/Coutts border. It was actually when we were in the US border that we met rude border officers, not listening to my explanation about exporting/importing my car from/to US/Canada. I don't even know if his remarks to me about returning to the US when I become Canadian citizen is sincere or sarcastic.

And by the way, if you have applied for US green card, why bother migrating in Alberta? And besides, as you've mentioned, US is the greatest country in the world, so I bet you are better off staying there and wait for your green card to get approved. Just don't say that Canada is the rudest of All. I don't think that's a fair comment to a country that approved your immigration faster than the great country that you are living in. Peace be with you!

asgharpeer

Nov 20, 2009
Hi All,
I got my PR thru AINP-H1B few monthe back. I am now workig as a contract Mechanical Engineer with Chevron, Houston. My Canada visa stamping is expiring June 18th 2014. I am planning to land on Calgary, Alberta on June 6th or 7th along with my family members. I am planning to stay there a week to apply for PR Card, SIN, Health Insurance and then return to US. My Chevron Houston project is good to go till end of this year. Planning to move permanently to Calgary by Jan 2015. I am planning not to say to Canada IO that i am visitng only for landing formalities. I need your help on what to say to IO, How much money to bring as cash?, How much to bring as cashier's check?, What is Goods bringing?, What is Goods to Follow?, I didn't understand those).

My second worry is how should i get back to US? (My US visa in passport already expired, But i have I unexpired I-797 with I-94)
I am planning on following options:
1) Use AVR to get back to US (What is the risk?)
2) Go to Calgary US Consulate for stamping and enter US
3) If Calgary US consulate doesn't issue visa and ask me to go to Chennai US Consulate, I have to take that.

Need your suggestions.

Thanks
APM

Pree Sri

Apr 9, 2014
Hello All,

I'm a new member in this group, whilst my husband has been following this community since 09 (and he is a member too).

Well, coming to the point. Our much - awaited PR (AINP) request just got fulfilled. We filed in 09 & just everything got approved. Currently, we are at New Jersey. We are planning to move to Calgary pretty soon - next month itself. We are winding up everything here & coming there for good. Winding up as in, we are coming there "without any job offer" (as we both are into IT, trying to find an offer from here itself but, no luck so far).

So, I need some suggestions/idea from you all for two main things:

1.) How do we find an Apartment to Rent/Sublet/Short-Term Lease without any credit history? (We are coming as family, myself, my husband & my kid. We are specifically looking for short - term lease with a low rent).
2.) I need to find a school closer to any apartment we rent ( ofcourse, we are getting our car), since my kid needs to finish his current grade & obtain a grade completion certificate (his current school won't be providing one, as we are discontinuing his school half way).

I've heard a lot about NW, SW, SE areas being good for renting an apartment but at an affordable (not pricey) ones. I also need good reviews about Public Elementary Schools there...

TIA.

- Pree Sri

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
Pree Sri said:
Hello All,

I'm a new member in this group, whilst my husband has been following this community since 09 (and he is a member too).

Well, coming to the point. Our much - awaited PR (AINP) request just got fulfilled. We filed in 09 & just everything got approved. Currently, we are at New Jersey. We are planning to move to Calgary pretty soon - next month itself. We are winding up everything here & coming there for good. Winding up as in, we are coming there "without any job offer" (as we both are into IT, trying to find an offer from here itself but, no luck so far).

So, I need some suggestions/idea from you all for two main things:

1.) How do we find an Apartment to Rent/Sublet/Short-Term Lease without any credit history? (We are coming as family, myself, my husband & my kid. We are specifically looking for short - term lease with a low rent).
2.) I need to find a school closer to any apartment we rent ( ofcourse, we are getting our car), since my kid needs to finish his current grade & obtain a grade completion certificate (his current school won't be providing one, as we are discontinuing his school half way).

I've heard a lot about NW, SW, SE areas being good for renting an apartment but at an affordable (not pricey) ones. I also need good reviews about Public Elementary Schools there...

TIA.

- Pree Sri
Hi Pree Sri,

Try www.rentfaster.ca/calgary.php‎ or www.kijiji.ca/h-calgary/1700199 for the apartments. Some will allow you to rent without credit history but you need to pay 3 to 6 months rent in advance. Your "short-term lease with low rent and close to school " criteria might be hard to find though. The cheapest alternative would be to rent a basement.

Check out https://www.fraserinstitute.org/ for school performance.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
Pree Sri,

You can check this out too.. this is in a good location.

http://www.kingsalley.ca/index.html