+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AINP - SRS H1B Landing Experience and post landing related activities.

lee26

Star Member
Jul 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-03-2009
Nomination.....
10-01-2010
AOR Received.
04-11-2010
File Transfer...
30-03-2011
Med's Request
10-11-2010
Med's Done....
20-11-2010
Passport Req..
23-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2011
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Will they reject admission in to school if the kid don't pass the assessment.

Thanks
Lee

BZ Mom said:
I think it's an assessment test/interview to check the level of English for newcomers (its for all grade levels I think, not just 3rd grade). This is also to find out if the child needs ESL for his/her curriculum.

forberta

Star Member
Aug 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

I cannot believe it is my time to post now :). Sorry for the late post, but the info here is relevant all the same.

Below is my landing experience. Few highlights:
1. Read up as much as you can. It is best to have all documents possible.
2. Organize your documents and be familiar with them. Once the officers see you are prepared the process flows smoothly
3. I did my H1B renewal along with my landing. It did knock off to important items but it was a lot of prep work before I left. So if you decide to do both, have time for ateast a full weekend worth of preparation before leaving.
4. People are extremely helpful and friendly in Canada so do return the favor whenever possible.

We landed in Canada on a Saturday. It was the weekend of Thanksgiving in US, so really crowded at the US airports but very sparse in Calgary where we landed. The landing over there is in three steps, first they have a "passport control", next "immigration" and then lastly the "customs".

At the passport control, the officer checked our passports and determined that we had come to do our landing formalities. He asked us the same and we acknowledged it. We also did goof up about the $10,000 question. I told the officer that I was unsure about the question, and explained the situation (we were carrying more than $10,000 but less than $20,000). He checked the "No" box on that question since the amount was less than $10,000 per person. I am still not sure about this question but based on my experience you can check the "No" box if your total sum (husband+wife) is more than $10,000 but less than $20,000. Alternatively do not hesitate to leave it blank and explain your situation to the officer, they are very helpful and will help you choose the right option.

At the immigration counter, the officer was friendly but firm. We told him we were doing the landing formalities, we showed him the COPR and passports. He asked us for address where the PR cards need to mailed and the amount of funds we were carrying. He then asked us the questions that showed up on the COPR documents, asked us to sign the respective COPR document. And that was about it. No other questions. Couple of funny but important things, when he asked me and my wife to sign the COPR documents, I just grabbed the pen that was lying on the table and signed away. My wife though, pulled out her favorite pen and signed it. Apparently he did not like it, he said it was because of the blue ink, but not to worry, he filled up another copy for her to sign. These were our pre-filled forms (PR card application) that we were carrying were helpful, he immediately relaxed and proceeded. He also commented that the photograph on the COPR should not be with a wide smile (one showing teeth), regular expression or a mild smile is fine. Thus my mug shot passed his grades but my wife's photograph on the COPR was rejected (wasted was the half a day worth of efforts that the wife had spend on getting the COPR photo "just right" a month back :)). They did have photo facilities there so she had to go do a quick photograph and complete her new COPR to finish up the paper work. So folks, use the pen that the officer gives you to sign the document and no wide smile in the COPR photo. Like I said, the officer here was friendly all the time, helping us with our deficiencies.

At the customs counter, things took longer time. This was mostly because we did not have enough details on our goods to follow list. So folks, add as much detail as you can on that list. I guess, this helps the officers check the items better. But even with this, the officer was friendly and did not give us any attitude at all. She asked us if we had done valuation of our jewelry (which we had not) but we told her that we had photos of the same and she was fine with it. She stamped the photos and the list, made copies and gave one copy to us for records.

And that was it, just like that we were permanent residents. End to a long journey and beginning of a new one.

Our visa experience was pleasant too. Folks who are interested to do both the visa and landing in the same trip, one word of caution, take a lot of time to make preparations, both procedures are very important and the paperwork is time-consuming. But if you are able to take the time and do it, then from our experience it made the visa process a little easier.

You can apply as a permanent resident since after you have landed, you technically are a PR (thought at the time of filling the appointment/application form you are not a PR). They had more interview dates available, so you have a better choice. At the consulate when we went it was not crowded at all. People were very polite and we did not have to stand more than 10-15 mins at any place. We were asked only general questions (place of work, work responsibilities, how long with the present company, education background, university name). Both me and my wife were applying for H1B visa renewals, we had applied separately and our interviews were separate. However we were asked the same questions and interview was done in 1-2 mins. PM me if you have any more questions on this.

When there, we did stop by to express our gratitude to the legendary "cchabert". He and several other senior members have been helping all of us here at the forums and doing great work. Everyone who gets their process completed, please do take time out and thank all these great people (simple email thanks should also suffice).

We also got our health card and SIN cards processing started. These cards will be mailed (just like the PR card) but we did get our numbers. And when there, we did go out (in the cold) and enjoy our selves as tourists too. Downtown Calgary has a lot of places of interest and there is skiing at Banff for the more adventurous.

So that was pretty much it. Overall we found the people to be positive, open, and very polite. I think we too have to have to reciprocate in like to have a good experience our selves. Let me know if you need additional info on anything particular. Please don't lose heart if your process is taking a long time, your case is moving forward all the time.

Good Luck to All! Share and Prosper :)

AB_SUN

Mar 5, 2011
Hi,

We completed our Landing procedure at Detroit Windsor Tunnel and came back the same day using AVR. The procedure was simple and easy. Posts in this forum helped a lot.

Canada Immigration and customs took about 20-25mins total and SIN application took about 10mins.

Back to US at border security, IO looked at our passports asked few questions about place of living and work and that's it..everything completed in 2 mins.

Thanks to all in this forum for sharing your experiences.

Regards,

y_khan87

Dec 24, 2011
baraynawab said:
Hello Friends,

I landed in Canada through Detroit Ambassador bridge.

One of the immigration officer called us and asked us some questions:

IO: What brings you to Canada?
ME: I am landing here today as a part of the immigration process

IO: Are you moving in to Canada today ?
ME: We are here to complete the landing formalities and are travelling back to the US immediately. I have my job until end of November and I intend to move to Canada permanently after that.

Hello ,
i am new on this forum and candian immigration aspirant, i am from pakistan and i done MBA finance, can any tell me that am i eligible for canadian immigration, can i hope that i will surely get the canadian immigration, plz guide me about the procedure

The immigration officer started asking some regular Qs about goods to follow and We were asked to wait. After waiting for 20 minutes, the immigration officer called us again.

IO: Please sign these COPR forms without touching the green border.
ME: -- Signed the forms --

She tore off one of the pages in the COPR form and stapled it to our passports and put a seal with the landing date.

IO: Your landing has been completed and the proof for the same is attached to your passport.

The immigration officer informed me that since I'm not moving in I cannot apply for PR Card and asked me to apply for PR card when I live in Canada and she also told me that with the landing paper attached to the passport we can't travel to canada through air but only by road.so I asked what my options are if i am flying from india to canada she said you can get a travel document from embassy in delhi and travel with that.

ME: I didn't know what to say now.

IO: Do you have any questions for me? Hand over this slip to the security officer outside.
A: No Thank you so much for your help.

Handed over the slip and the security officer released the vehicle keys to us.

Made a U-turn and started traveling into the US and successfully used AVR. But, they made an entry on our passports.

What's my option to apply for PR Card now ? any suggestion ? help?

Thanks

Today I checked the ECas status and it says :

We started processing your application on July 10, 2009.

Medical results have been received.

A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision.

You entered Canada at the Windsor Ambassador Bridge office on July 19, 2010 and became a Permanent Resident.

ksbs

Oct 1, 2011
Hi all,

My plan is complete landing process give friend's address and go back USA with AVR and move permantly in summer.
now two possibilities 1) they accept address and issue pr card (30-60 days) and 2) they say apply when you move permantly.

after go back USA with AVR... How I can come back to canada?? since canada visa will expire and only for one time entry...

please reply

Thanks

michiimmi

Jan 2, 2012
Hi,

Have you completed your landing and back in Detroit?

Thanks

AB_SUN said:
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are planning to do our landing next week at Windsor tunnel. I have some questions regarding the process.

1. Do we need to provide the good to follow list while doing our landing formalities? We are planning to move to Calgary next June/July so would like to provide the detailed list then.

2. I have a valid h1 stamped but my wife has transferred to H1 from L1 but does not have a valid stamp in the passport except valid I-94. Can we use AVR?

3.I am planning to give my friends address for the time being till we move permanently, is that OK.

Please let me know some details regarding the above, much appreciated.

Regards,

ihavepr

Dec 12, 2011
Did my landing today at Alexandria Bay.
The lady at the counter directed us to the seperate building after asking few questions especially regarding proof of funds

The officer wasn't so friendly, but not too rude

Off:where are you staying in USA?
Me: NC

Off:Are you moving permanently?
Me: No. I will return to Canada after sometime. (I had decided not to lie.. afterall it got serious consequences).

Off: When do you plan to finally settle here?
Me: after around 8-9 months. If I get a job in Alberta, it will be sooner

He checked my Cashier checks and asked the amt. Then he made us sign on the COPRs and then went inside with our COPR and passport. Came back with copr stapled to the passport.
He gave us a form and told us to report the address when we finally move into Canada. I had my friends address but decided not to give it (maybe I got too defensive). I can get this thing faxed anyway so why try to explain him that I have a house there even when am landing here.
He said your landing is done and passed the stapled passport and copr copies. I asked if I need to come back within some timeframe.. he said you have to stay min 2 yrs out of 5 yrs and hence can even return after 3 yrs , we dont care( a bit rude here). I specifically asked if I can apply SIN without PR cards? He said you just need the passport and copr for that.

Customs went smoothly. They didnt take jewellery pictures

N=

ihavepr

Dec 12, 2011
ihavepr said:
Did my landing today at Alexandria Bay.
The lady at the counter directed us to the seperate building after asking few questions especially regarding proof of funds

The officer wasn't so friendly, but not too rude

Off:where are you staying in USA?
Me: NC

Off:Are you moving permanently?
Me: No. I will return to Canada after sometime. (I had decided not to lie.. afterall it got serious consequences).

Off: When do you plan to finally settle here?
Me: after around 8-9 months. If I get a job in Alberta, it will be sooner

He checked my Cashier checks and asked the amt. Then he made us sign on the COPRs and then went inside with our COPR and passport. Came back with copr stapled to the passport.
He gave us a form and told us to report the address when we finally move into Canada. I had my friends address but decided not to give it (maybe I got too defensive). I can get this thing faxed anyway so why try to explain him that I have a house there even when am landing here.
He said your landing is done and passed the stapled passport and copr copies. I asked if I need to come back within some timeframe.. he said you have to stay min 2 yrs out of 5 yrs and hence can even return after 3 yrs , we dont care( a bit rude here). I specifically asked if I can apply SIN without PR cards? He said you just need the passport and copr for that.

Customs went smoothly. They didnt take jewellery pictures

N=
Now here are my concerns!!!
1. Can I update the alberta address now? DCan we do it online instaed of faxing?
2. I wasnt given the welcome kit?? man.. I was expecting a nice Canadian flag bearing kit.. something I can keep it with pide.., somehow didnt remember to ask. Is there something mossing, (maybe I am getting a bit too skeptic)

chris cool

Jun 10, 2010
First of all a Great Thank you for all the viewers and members of the Canada Visa Forum. This forum was really helpful for me in throughout my PR process which took more than 26 months. I am a bit late in posting my experience as i wanted to post my complete experience till today as i received my PR Cards :).

I landed in Sweet grass coutts as i drove from California to Edmonton in Nov'2011. The whole process took around 30mins and the officers there are really friendly and answered all my queries very patiently. I took a you turn and went back to the US border to export my car as i missed the exit. I was on H1B in US and the officer near the border asked me to submit my I-94 but i said i wouldn't do it as i want to travel back to us. After my car import & export drove to Edmonton. Next day i applied for SIN/Medical & Opened a Bank A/c. I did my Federal car inspection in Canadian Tire which went fine with out any issues but my provincial insurance was a disaster as i had to change my tyres. Applied for my Alberta license which was a bit expensive but they gave it for 5years after taking my California license.

It took exactly 35 business days as mentioned in the CIC website for getting the PR cards. Overall it was a pretty good and nice experience. If you are trying to carry a cashiers cheque they (TD Bank) would approximately take 21 business days in my case. So try to carry some cash on a safe side. I posted my resume on the job portals which were mentioned in the forum and i did receive some calls even though it was holiday time. My best bet take a local phone as that would help a lot. I have seen the difference as i wasn't getting any calls on my US # and then took a local # and updated my CV i started getting calls.

Taxes are real ripoff, so try to negotiate a good salary when getting in to a contract ;).

I would sincerely thank one of the forum member "JUJUFE", who showed me the path to get my PCC on time from one of the European country. Once again thank you very much for all the support and timely replies by the seniors and patience guided me land in Canada.

ALL THE BEST.....to every one who are waiting for there PR cards.

Sri19

Star Member
Mar 2, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NYC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Last week of Sep 2010
Nomination.....
May 2010
AOR Received.
April 2011
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
31-08-2011
Med's Request
April 2011
Med's Done....
May 2011
Interview........
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
*** Below is some valuable information that "OHHCANADA" had provided me in PMs about landing / moving to Alberta ***

Q: Can AINP nominated person complete landing in Toronto?
If you are only dong landing, from what my laywer told me, once you get a visa you can do landing anywhere in Canada (thought Quebec is a little complicated ) I decided to move to Edmonton for personal reasons.

Q: Is it safe to drive from US to Edmonton / Alberta
If you haven't driven in Canada before in Winter months, NO. We are already experiencing temperature from 0 to -10 (minus ten) degree Celsius now. Driving from US to Edmonton is a long long way. In Summer it would make sense, but in Winter months, anything can happen. Except for Southern Ontario region and Vancouver much of Canada in January will be bone chilling cold. Anything can go wrong on a such a long drive from US to Edmonton. The distances are just unbelievable and in some cases no cell signals. Even in the northern US states like Montana, ND, Iowa it can get extremely cold.

Let me give a quick example. A few weeks ago, I lost air pressure in one of my tire around 9pm just outside a shopping mall. I had the little air pump to fill air, I took my gloves off to work on it nozzle etc... in less than 30 seconds my fingers were so cold I couldn't adjust the nozzle properly. The temperature at the time was about -13 Celsius.

* Personally I wouldn't risk my family on a such a long journey via car in Winter. If you can wait until April I would suggest so. Otherwise I would highly recommend landing via air.

Or if you want to do it by car, then enter somewhere close to Toronto area and you can still give an Edmonton address if you have one from a family or friends etc.. "The only thing you won't be able to do in Toronto is an Alberta Driving License as you will have to be physically here".

Yes, PR card will be applied by the Immigration Officer on the port of entry so make sure you have a Canadian address handy along with list of things to follow. See one of previous posts (search by my username) there is form you have download and fill. I can't remember it name anymore. Also make sure you your bank letter with you, some times they ask some times they don't.

Jobs:
Jobs are plenty in Alberta, Saskachewan (both are OIL and natural Gas dependent economies) and to some extent Manitoba as well. Odds jobs are plenty as well. You can find a 10-12 $/hr job in no time at the local retailers. Other jobs take a little more time as you have pick and choose what fits then.

- Make sure you make your entry along with the whole family else it can get complicated I heard. Of course you can send them back after they enter.

Driver License:
Don't know about Ontario, but I checked with Alberta license office, they told I could drive upto 90 days with US driver license. I am sure it is at least 30 days in Ontario as well or even more perhaps.

Documents needed:
Confirmation of Permanent Resident
Passports with visa.
Bank statement.
PERSONAL EFFECTS ACCOUNTING DOCUMENT (for customs) (see link below)
And I would carry all original (Birth Certificates in case they ask).

Here is the form you need to fill for items you carry and items that will follow you some months later (I was told personal things can follow upto 1 years but check for your own satisfaction)
Make sure you make copies for your own records as they keep the form I believe.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf

Bank letter:
Bank letter is nothing more than a simple bank statement showing you have the equivalent settlement funds. Don't remember the exact amount required per family member.

Settlement Funds:
In my case, the US bank statement with sufficient equivalent of Canadian dollars worked, frankly I don't remember if they even looked at the bank statement. They did ask if how much cash (or other form or currency like cashier's check etc...) I was carrying. Make sure you don't carry more than CAD10000.00(check this online, it could be different).

Weather:
Toronto I have been told except for winter storms is cold but manageable more like Chicago cold or Buffalo, NY cold. So you should be able to manage the few days in Toronto easily unless their is a winter storm which you have to be ready (warm jackets, gloves hoodies etc...). But the rest of the Canada like I said, is just very very cold. This should give you an idea of how cold it is across Canada:
http://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/Canada/coldest-cities.php

Address:
You don't have to give Edmonton address. If you know someone in other parts of Canada you can use that address. Sorry I don't know that many people here either, so can't really help you with this much. But that said, there are two issues with using an address and going out of country while your PR card is being process:

1- Cards can take anywhere from 2 to 4 months to arrive. Some lucky people got it in less than 2 months.
2- Some people have their card delayed due to photo issues or other errors etc... For photo issues, CIC requires that you visit their local office in person to take pics or something. If you are out of country by then, you cannot use your visa as it's a one time entry visa. You will then need a special travel document which I have no further information of how to apply/getting it.

For the above points you can further check this forum and compare the dates of landing and card arrival for different people. In my own case it took more than 3-1/2 months for my PR card to arrive the first time. Since then I sent it back for a typo correction on the card which is now taking another 2-3 months.

So if you are worried about the delays that I mentioned, then I suggest, you don't do the landing until you are ready to move in. But that's your decision. In most cases the card just arrives peacefully in 2-3 months time without any errors or further back and forth.

Finding a place to stay in Edmonton:
If you just want a place to stay, you can find temp to short term places to stay in Edmonton here:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/f-real-estate-W0QQCatIdZ34

It's more popular than CraigsList here.

Good luck.

jdpkumar

Jan 20, 2012
Re: AINP - Recent AINP Landing experiences - Outside Alberta?

Dear friends,
I have few questions regarding AINP candidate landing and communication address Outside Alberta.

I am planning for landing outside Alberta i.e buffalo new York - where my work place is 8 hours drive to buffalo - garden city NY)
I don’t have Alberta communication address (if some one help me regarding this I am really grateful to you) and ... I have to complete my landing formalities before 20 th FEB 2012.

I have read mixed reviews about where one should do landings etc, so looking for some help and direction I am totally confused/diffused state...

Thanks in advance.

Kumar JDP

ksbs

Oct 1, 2011
what is the typical wait time to receive an interview appointment (for VISA stamping) from us consulate, calgary, AB??!!

Please help 8)

Thanks

KS

legalcitizen

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Finally moved to calgary AB yesterday.applied for sin and health cards today..surprisingly needed an appointment open a bank account. :D

onething I noticed in calgary is AB is not yet utilized the oil money to develop the city..seems like ab needs lot of people..all offices are understaffed..which is good for new comers..will be leaving to india this weekend..I will be back in april ..hoping to visit all the places in AB..

thanks all

washington.state

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
legalcitizen said:
Finally moved to calgary AB yesterday.applied for sin and health cards today..surprisingly needed an appointment open a bank account. :D

onething I noticed in calgary is AB is not yet utilized the oil money to develop the city..seems like ab needs lot of people..all offices are understaffed..which is good for new comers..will be leaving to india this weekend..I will be back in april ..hoping to visit all the places in AB..

thanks all
It is bs but that's how scotia bank, RBC and TD Canada trust works. Banks operate in such a local way that RBC Calgary branch will have own account than RBC Toronto and these systems are also a reason to stay away from Canada. Just by sitting with Branch personnel, providing him your Card, Passport so this negro can enter your DOB and SIN in system should not be an appointment. IN US you can walk in any of BOA branch and get account opened.