+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Agri-Food Immigration Pilot

corny.tan

Star Member
Jan 17, 2016
I have been researching on this particular pilot, and I have a question about obtaining qualifying work experience.

I am currently on a 3-year PGWP, and according to this page: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/agri-food-immigration-pilot/pr-eligibility.html#experience, the work experience must be acquired in the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. Also, the work experience must have been at least 1,560 hours (approx at least 1 year) of non-seasonal work.

What I don't really understand is this part:
"... the hours must be accumulated while being authorized to work in Canada under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program on the basis of a Labour Market Impact Assessment with a minimum 12 month duration"

Let's say I get a qualifying job offer that meets all of the requirements, i.e. eligible occupation in an eligible industry, full-time, non-seasonal, permanent, meets prevailing minimum wage according to Job Bank, but if i get the job offer based on my PGWP which is technically an open work permit not requiring a LMIA and allowing me to work for any employer, then will this be considered having gotten a job under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program? Then what about needing a LMIA? How does my PGWP fit into the picture?

I think this situation is not so straightforward, especially for PGWP holders who may be considering immigrating under this stream. Hopefully, there's somebody who can help enlighten about needing a LMIA even for PGWP holders.

Reactions: James Lee

James Lee

Dec 24, 2019
I have been researching on this particular pilot, and I have a question about obtaining qualifying work experience.

I am currently on a 3-year PGWP, and according to this page: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/agri-food-immigration-pilot/pr-eligibility.html#experience, the work experience must be acquired in the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. Also, the work experience must have been at least 1,560 hours (approx at least 1 year) of non-seasonal work.

"... the hours must be accumulated while being authorized to work in Canada under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program on the basis of a Labour Market Impact Assessment with a minimum 12 month duration"

Let's say I get a qualifying job offer that meets all of the requirements, i.e. eligible occupation in an eligible industry, full-time, non-seasonal, permanent, meets prevailing minimum wage according to Job Bank, but if i get the job offer based on my PGWP which is technically an open work permit not requiring a LMIA and allowing me to work for any employer, then will this be considered having gotten a job under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program? Then what about needing a LMIA? How does my PGWP fit into the picture?

I think this situation is not so straightforward, especially for PGWP holders who may be considering immigrating under this stream. Hopefully, there's somebody who can help enlighten about needing a LMIA even for PGWP holders.
Did you get any answer about your issue ?

Lamideepa

Feb 6, 2020