Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-Feb-16
VISA ISSUED...
9- Mar-16
LANDED..........
29-Jul-16
::) Hey You all, I'm new here. The Question I have is this, can a spouse visa be denied just because of an age difference? I am 24 years old and my wife is 42. We have been together since 2011 and got married in 2015. We have been long distance since 2012, as she had to leave my country after her work permit expired. I think we have a ton of evidence, as we communicate every day and she comes to visit me for 3 months out of the year, every year since 2012. Our application was submitted with ; Passport Stamps showing visits since 2012, Long essay on development of relationship, 300 photos of us from 2011- 2015, excluding 150 pages of wedding photos ( we had a large wedding) 100 pages of fb chat, skype records, telephone records, email, whatsapp to name a few, accommodation for hotel stays weve had, movie stubs, dinner receipts, fb posting of communication since 2011- 2015, receipts for wedding rings, engagement rings, liquor , food, dress, etc all wedding expenses,honeymoon photos, tickets for a trip we planned for 2016 showing both our names etc... I was just wondering, how does it look? Only red flags I see is age difference, (18 years) none of her family came ( too busy with work etc)

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Batch EMail: 23-10-15
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
DM: 15/2/2016
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 23/2/2016
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
tdguy said:
::) Hey You all, I'm new here. The Question I have is this, can a spouse visa be denied just because of an age difference? I am 24 years old and my wife is 42. We have been together since 2011 and got married in 2015. We have been long distance since 2012, as she had to leave my country after her work permit expired. I think we have a ton of evidence, as we communicate every day and she comes to visit me for 3 months out of the year, every year since 2012. Our application was submitted with ; Passport Stamps showing visits since 2012, Long essay on development of relationship, 300 photos of us from 2011- 2015, excluding 150 pages of wedding photos ( we had a large wedding) 100 pages of fb chat, skype records, telephone records, email, whatsapp to name a few, accommodation for hotel stays weve had, movie stubs, dinner receipts, fb posting of communication since 2011- 2015, receipts for wedding rings, engagement rings, liquor , food, dress, etc all wedding expenses,honeymoon photos, tickets for a trip we planned for 2016 showing both our names etc... I was just wondering, how does it look? Only red flags I see is age difference, (18 years) none of her family came ( too busy with work etc)
I distinctly remember a post from someone who had a larger age difference than this and gave WAY less proof of relationship and was completely fine and got PR. I think your proof of relationship is quite a lot. It might even hold you back a wee bit, because they might have to make copies of everything or scan everything you send, I'm thinking. I don't see a problem honestly with this situation, especially with so much proof and that you're both adults who can make your own choices in relationships.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
My sponsor is over 20 years younger than me. Not a problem...

Maddants

Champion Member
Oct 18, 2012
Kingston
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan. 23, 2012
AOR Received.
June 11, 2012
File Transfer...
June 26, 2012
Med's Request
Jan. 11, 2015
Med's Done....
Dec. 9, 2011 / Nov. 9, 2015
Interview........
Sept. 17, 2013
Passport Req..
February 29, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
March 7, 2016
LANDED..........
April 28, 2016
Hey tdguy........ how are you doing. I dont think that age will be a problem for you because alot of ppl have hugh age gap between them and they get tru....but really and truly it depends on the immigration officer that dealing with your application. Some immigration officer will look past the age thing and some will make a fuss of it.. As long as you both lover each other you will be fine and make sure that you have alot of evidence to prove your relationship....But dont dwell on the age thing to much though

Ineffable

Jan 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 5, 2015
Doc's Request.
October 23, 2015
AOR Received.
June 3, 2015
File Transfer...
July 7, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
March 21, 2015
Interview........
IP: Oct. 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 14, 2015
LANDED..........
Nov. 28, 2015
Hey, tdguy.

So, technically, age difference of a large number is a red flag for the CIC, but it doesn't automatically mean that you'll be denied.

It sounds like you have ample evidence to prove your relationship, not to mention it is genuine. You've been together for 4 years. You're married. You spent money on rings, trips, etc. I'd be shocked if you were denied. Love doesn't take into consideration age, right?

If I can offer some advice, take advantage of the questions they ask about your relationship, how it unfolded, etc. The IMM forms will ask those questions and give you an option to continue to give explanations on another sheet of paper. I did just that. I explained how we met, why my family wasn't at our wedding, what we did to communicate when we were apart, etc.

I labeled those pages very clearly, and organized our application to include an index table of contents, and sectioned everything off using tab dividers. I included our call logs when we were apart (for a year). I had zero issues whatsoever. My spouse and I are 7 years apart, and we've spent a large chunk of time apart, too.

I also included everything you mentioned—wedding expenses, photos, tickets, call records, FB chat, etc. You're all set.

Here are some images I mentioned earlier:

<a href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3303660/Application/Additional%20Pages.jpg">Additional pages format.</a>

<a href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3303660/Application/Appendix-Screen-Shot.jpg">Appendix TOC.</a>

<a href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3303660/Application/Proof-of-Relationship-Org.jpg">General Organization.</a>

If anything, sleep well knowing that they wouldn't deny your spouse PR without an interview or requesting additional proof first, but I think you'll be fine. Just take advantage of those spots on the IMM forms like I mentioned, and explain how your relationship unfolded. ;D

tdguy

Star Member
Nov 26, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Nov-15
AOR Received.
6-Jan-16
File Transfer...
SA 15-Jan-16
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-Sep-15
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-Feb-16
VISA ISSUED...
9- Mar-16
LANDED..........
29-Jul-16
Thank you you guys! I know that alot of people have large age differences etc, but most times its the guy who is older and not the other way around, I think they are a bit biased in terms of that. We do however have alot of proof, one of them being the fact that we waited four years before getting married etc is good. We have alot of communication evidence as we talk to each other every day since july 2011 (when shes not here) I aslo have a very good job, my wife has a masters degree and i am soon finishing my bachelors degree, neither of us is religious etc.... I am applying through the POS trinidad office

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
just received COPR today....22 years age difference. The package had solid, but not extensive history/pictures/etc. and the only additional request was an police certificate from the RCMP. Applied outland and it only took 5 1/2 months.

tdguy

Star Member
Nov 26, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Nov-15
AOR Received.
6-Jan-16
File Transfer...
SA 15-Jan-16
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-Sep-15
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-Feb-16
VISA ISSUED...
9- Mar-16
LANDED..........
29-Jul-16
thats great news!! congratulations, but if i may ask, who was the older person? male or female?

Reactions: D&S

Dragana

Star Member
May 5, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
October 6 2015
My good friend is 14 years younger then her partner, and they had 6 months relationship only they got approved in 2006. So I think you are going to be just fine.

Good luck

tdguy said:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
thats great news!! congratulations, but if i may ask, who was the older person? male or female?
Older male. It will all boil down to the proof you provide. Like I said, we didn't have tons of pictures (maybe 40), no chat or Txt ('cause I'm old and technology adverse), and spent the year of common law travelling with limited proof (passport stamps and flight schedules) to prove the relationship.....you'll be fine.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dragana said:
My good friend is 14 years younger then her partner, and they had 6 months relationship only they got approved in 2006. So I think you are going to be just fine.

Good luck
Different story. When the woman is younger it's not as unusual (I'm 16 years younger than my husband).

CIC looks at the application more closely when the man is significantly younger since this is atypical in most cultures.

Turbo2000

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
02-06-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
DM1: 02-07-2015, IN PROCESS: 09-10-2015
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
12-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM2: 12-18-2015
LANDED..........
JAN. 17TH 2016 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Age difference alone cannot lead to denial, however if CIC is not used to seeing such cases from your country, then you should expect greater scrutiny. Good luck !!

tdguy said:

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
It also depends on your culture and whether it is common for men to marry women significantly older. If it's not common in your culture, be sure to address it upfront. It's sexist but CIC officers process applications keeping in mind the customs/norms of the region.

The other thing to keep in mind and address upfront is whether or not you wish to have children. If it's common in your culture for people to marry with the intention of also having a family, the officer would be paying attention to whether this is possible in your situation or not.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
A big age difference is certainly a red flag; a big age difference where the woman is the older one is even a bigger red flag. However, it is more of a problem for certain visa offices than others. In India, for example, apparently it is very uncommon for the wife to be even a few years older than the husband, so such cases get extra scrutiny.

But they would never refuse someone just because of an age difference. They would have to have other reasons as well. If there is an interview, you must explain that you two have discussed the age difference and that it does not matter to you. You should also be prepared for questions about children. The visa officer will expect you two to have discussed this and to agree on it: for example, if you both state you don't want kids, that's fine. If you both state you do want kids, are trying, and if that doesn't work you will look into adopting, that's fine too - the visa officer just wants to know that you two are in agreement.

In addition, the way to reduce the problems that might arise because of an age difference is to include more evidence that you have a genuine relationship in the application. You seem to have done that, so I think it should be OK.

needhimback

Oct 30, 2013
Toronto Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Port of Spain (Trinidad)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/10/2015- CIC received my application 16/10/2015
AOR Received.
5/12/2015
File Transfer...
File trans / Mar 2016
Med's Done....
Up front 15/08/2015
LANDED..........
File withdrew
canadianwoman said:
A big age difference is certainly a red flag; a big age difference where the woman is the older one is even a bigger red flag. However, it is more of a problem for certain visa offices than others. In India, for example, apparently it is very uncommon for the wife to be even a few years older than the husband, so such cases get extra scrutiny.

But they would never refuse someone just because of an age difference. They would have to have other reasons as well. If there is an interview, you must explain that you two have discussed the age difference and that it does not matter to you. You should also be prepared for questions about children. The visa officer will expect you two to have discussed this and to agree on it: for example, if you both state you don't want kids, that's fine. If you both state you do want kids, are trying, and if that doesn't work you will look into adopting, that's fine too - the visa officer just wants to know that you two are in agreement.

In addition, the way to reduce the problems that might arise because of an age difference is to include more evidence that you have a genuine relationship in the application. You seem to have done that, so I think it should be OK.
Well I can say in the Caribbean it's common and that's where he's from "Trinidad " (Caribbean )
So he should be good :p