+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Age Difference

Happywife08

Dec 19, 2012
Category........
Hi there, I am new here and just wanted to ask something.. I will be applying for inland PR.

My hubby and I have together for 4 years, we dated for 1 and live together for 3 years. We got married no to long ago, it was very simple wedding since the big one we want to do it at the beach in my country and renew our vows. But don't really like big things. So we both wanted a small simple sweet civil wedding( i hope that doesn't affect us) now over those 4 years We have tons and tons of pictures of us. Trips together emails, cards, you named it we also have letter for friends... The only thing we don't have are service bills... When i moved with my hubby he owned the house, in my country you cannot have your name on the bill unless you own the house or half or whatever. So even do i helped him pay bills my name was not in the bills... Now our relationship is legit. We really love each other and if this doesn't work we are moving to another country. No matter what we won't be apart.. But we have a 28 age difference, i know, but i always have been atracted to older man i csn not deal with guys my age or ever a few years older!!! Iuuuk!!! Anyway like i said it's legit but i don't want them to think otherwise. You think i have enough evidence!!!!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Happywife08 said:
Hi there, I am new here and just wanted to ask something.. I will be applying for inland PR.

My hubby and I have together for 4 years, we dated for 1 and live together for 3 years. We got married no to long ago, it was very simple wedding since the big one we want to do it at the beach in my country and renew our vows. But don't really like big things. So we both wanted a small simple sweet civil wedding( i hope that doesn't affect us) now over those 4 years We have tons and tons of pictures of us. Trips together emails, cards, you named it we also have letter for friends... The only thing we don't have are service bills... When i moved with my hubby he owned the house, in my country you cannot have your name on the bill unless you own the house or half or whatever. So even do i helped him pay bills my name was not in the bills... Now our relationship is legit. We really love each other and if this doesn't work we are moving to another country. No matter what we won't be apart.. But we have a 28 age difference, i know, but i always have been atracted to older man i csn not deal with guys my age or ever a few years older!!! Iuuuk!!! Anyway like i said it's legit but i don't want them to think otherwise. You think i have enough evidence!!!!
It's difficult to say if you have enough evidences, because it's for the VO to decide, and none of us on the forum can tell you what is enough and what isn't. It also depends on your own personal history (previous marriage or not) his own personal history (previous marriage or not, and if he has children from a previous marriage, what do they think about your relationship with their father etc).

Do your best to prepare your application, and make sure you include all the proofs that you have been together for 4 years.

Also address the age difference in the application directly. THe VO will ask about it, so you can already start answering. Explain that it is not a problem for both of you. IF ( and I hope you have) you have discussed issues like children (I assume you're the wife and younger by 28 years), what will happen when you want children, does he want as well, and how does your family feel about your relationship about an older man etc... show the VO that you have discussed possible issues arising from an age difference, and that you're OK with it.

Then - if they are not convinced, and they ask for an interview, then you will be given a second chance to prove that your relationship is genuine. The fact that you have been living together for 3 years now is a plus for sure. Also the fact that you dated for 3 years before getting married.

For the wedding ceremony, I hope you got pictures and I hope that your family or his family attended. Include that, and explain your plan to renew your vows and have another ceremony ( don't mention a "big wedding", as technically you have already married and so it's what counts for the VO) later on.

Good luck,
Sweden

margrey

Mar 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2011
Doc's Request.
e-mail 26-05-2011, sent doc 07-06-2011
AOR Received.
15-04-2011
File Transfer...
14-03-2011
Med's Done....
15-01-2011
Passport Req..
E-mail 26-05-2011, sent pastport on 07-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
DM July 07, 2011, PP to pick it up on July 19, 2011
LANDED..........
SEPTEMBER 16, 2011
Do not worry about age difference, you have all pics, documentation of your wedding and the most important is that is legit, just be yourself answeer the questions and so. I am 28.5yrs older than my wife, I sopnsored here from Nicaragua, she landed on Sept 2011. I send all papers for application and aproval on February 2011.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Happywife08 said:

I think while sometimes age difference is a red flag, you guys seem to have a lot of history together. Some couples with big age differences will meet online and marry very quickly, this doesn't make their relationship seem genuine to CIC. Even though your age difference is quite a lot, you seem to have a lot of history together and with enough proof I think and hope you will okay :D Be sure to include some good letters of support from family and friends.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Happywife08 said:

Yes, the age difference is a red flag, but it only means CIC will take a closer look at your relationship. It doesn't mean they will reject you automatically.

As far as living together without proof, google "cohabitation agreement," print, sign, and get notarized. You can also get notarized letters from friends or family that you have lived together for X years. Also, if you got mail at the address, you can show that too, even if it's just cards from family.

With your age difference, you're almost guaranteed an interview, so please prepare for that. If/when that happens, you can bring proof you have dated older men before - but I don't think it would be relevant in your official application. That is my opinion, others may feel differently.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
You're going to need the same kind of evidence people usually provide, but you'll need more of it.

There's a webpage with a discussion of supporting evidence that I thought was helpful. I can't link to it here, but you'll find it if you Google "Spousor your spouse for Canadian permanent residence". (Yes, it's really "spousor," not "sponsor.") It has suggestions you won't find in the official information put out by CIC. It emphasizes the importance of affidavits, which I think can be useful when you're concerned about the way things will look to CIC.

Just as a personal comment - I find it demeaning that the government judges couples this way based on their personal characteristics. There aren't many areas where the law actually seems to condone discrimination, but this is one.

Happywife08

Dec 19, 2012
Category........
Hi
Sweden said:
It's difficult to say if you have enough evidences, because it's for the VO to decide, and none of us on the forum can tell you what is enough and what isn't. It also depends on your own personal history (previous marriage or not) his own personal history (previous marriage or not, and if he has children from a previous marriage, what do they think about your relationship with their father etc).

Do your best to prepare your application, and make sure you include all the proofs that you have been together for 4 years.

Also address the age difference in the application directly. THe VO will ask about it, so you can already start answering. Explain that it is not a problem for both of you. IF ( and I hope you have) you have discussed issues like children (I assume you're the wife and younger by 28 years), what will happen when you want children, does he want as well, and how does your family feel about your relationship about an older man etc... show the VO that you have discussed possible issues arising from an age difference, and that you're OK with it.

Then - if they are not convinced, and they ask for an interview, then you will be given a second chance to prove that your relationship is genuine. The fact that you have been living together for 3 years now is a plus for sure. Also the fact that you dated for 3 years before getting married.

For the wedding ceremony, I hope you got pictures and I hope that your family or his family attended. Include that, and explain your plan to renew your vows and have another ceremony ( don't mention a "big wedding", as technically you have already married and so it's what counts for the VO) later on.

Good luck,
Sweden
Hi Sweden
Thank you for the info!!! and actually it's funny you mention children because that's another reason we are together We Both DON'T want kids!!! Which rocks to find someone who understands you!!! and my family ADORES him so I guess we will be ok..

Happywife08

Dec 19, 2012
Category........
margrey said:
Do not worry about age difference, you have all pics, documentation of your wedding and the most important is that is legit, just be yourself answeer the questions and so. I am 28.5yrs older than my wife, I sopnsored here from Nicaragua, she landed on Sept 2011. I send all papers for application and aproval on February 2011.
Well thank you!!! That gives me some security!!! I know it's crazy we live in the 21st century and some people just can't get over the fact that we are no all the same... WE all have different preferences....

frege said:
Just as a personal comment - I find it demeaning that the government judges couples this way based on their personal characteristics. There aren't many areas where the law actually seems to condone discrimination, but this is one.
I know I do think it's discrimination, and it's sad!! :( but what can we do!! Just stick together!!! and my hubby and I will! no matter what

Thanks everyone!!!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Happywife08 said:
Hi
Hi Sweden
Thank you for the info!!! and actually it's funny you mention children because that's another reason we are together We Both DON'T want kids!!! Which rocks to find someone who understands you!!! and my family ADORES him so I guess we will be ok..
These are 2 good points, make sure that you mention that - that you have discussed kids and that you are on the same line, so it won't be an issue later on. Get letters from your family expressing that they know him, and that they approve of your relationship ( or something similar), so it doesn't raise questions about how your family is accepting him etc.

Your case might take a little longer because it will face extra scrutiny, but it doesn't mean that you will be denied, if you have strong proofs, a well prepared application, and everything else people mentioned in the thread, and wait for the outcome... the fact that you have been living together already for a while is also a strong point.

Good luck with your application,
Sweden

Happywife08

Dec 19, 2012
Category........
Sweden said:
These are 2 good points, make sure that you mention that - that you have discussed kids and that you are on the same line, so it won't be an issue later on. Get letters from your family expressing that they know him, and that they approve of your relationship ( or something similar), so it doesn't raise questions about how your family is accepting him etc.

Your case might take a little longer because it will face extra scrutiny, but it doesn't mean that you will be denied, if you have strong proofs, a well prepared application, and everything else people mentioned in the thread, and wait for the outcome... the fact that you have been living together already for a while is also a strong point.

Good luck with your application,
Sweden

Yes you are right!!!! Thank you!!! I will!!! I am working on getting as much info as possible!!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Happywife08 said:
Well thank you!!! That gives me some security!!! I know it's crazy we live in the 21st century and some people just can't get over the fact that we are no all the same... WE all have different preferences....

I know I do think it's discrimination, and it's sad!! :( but what can we do!! Just stick together!!! and my hubby and I will! no matter what

Thanks everyone!!!
It's not discrimination when based upon research of fraudulent cases. They are extra cautious for a very good reason.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
amikety said:
It's not discrimination when based upon research of fraudulent cases. They are extra cautious for a very good reason.
Research will undoubtedly show that women are more likely to take parental leave than men. Does that make it okay for employers to hire men because they're men?

Research might show, hypothetically, that some ethnic groups are more frequent offenders in Canada than others. Would that make it okay for police to question someone more closely because of their ethnicity?

The problem is that society already judges some couples differently out of prejudice. In immigration cases, the government participates in and reinforces this prejudice.

Note: I've edited this reply slightly.

Happywife08

Dec 19, 2012
Category........
amikety said:
Well I hate to say it but it is... Because they are assuming we are all like that!!! Just because our age difference!!! Which is clearly not a reason...
It's like me here in Canada most people are extremely nice to me!!! But sadly some are racists!!! I will never think Canadians are racists just because a few ignorant people!!! And If I did, I will be racist as well!!

Never assume!! Inocent until proving guilty!!! ;)

Happywife08

Dec 19, 2012
Category........
frege said:
Research will undoubtedly show that women are more likely to take parental leave than men. Does that make it okay for employers to hire men because they're men?

Research might show, hypothetically, that Aboriginals are more frequent offenders in Saskatchewan than others. Would that make it okay for police to question someone more closely because of their ethnicity?

The problem is that society already judges some couples differently out of prejudice. In immigration cases, the government participates in and reinforces this prejudice.
Toally agree!!! It's kind of sad!!! That we live on a society where there is so many races, taste and more where we are "free" to pick and choose who we want to be with, but if you choose something that most people do not think is right. Then it's not ok... What happen with freedom of choice!! Love doesn't see age!!! You can help who you fall in love with, or who you have more things in common!!!
:)

ekaterina1984

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27.05.2013. Sponsorship approved 17.06.2013
Doc's Request.
Updated forms sent on december 18 2013
Med's Request
November 25 , 2013
Med's Done....
December 18 ,2013
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2014
LANDED..........
My canadian husband is 28 years old older than me we are just married we have been dating 2 years but didnt live together just met twice a year. We are planning to spend honeymoon in Prague next year and apply for wife visa after our honey moon. I love my older husband . I feel more loved more appreciated and more understood in this relationship than I have in any other realtionship I have had in my life.We have unusual situation but I think everything will be fine . I'm russian by the way. and it's more difficult for us to prove that our relationship is genuine because a visa officer will say '' she definitly has and immigration purpose!!!'' ;D