+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After OINP Nomination, Permanent Residence Portal or Express Entry?

Jan 12, 2018
Hello all..

This is my first ever post here and I searched others before posting this. I just completed a master's degree in Ontario and received invite to apply for PR nomination through OINP - Master's Graduate Stream. My application is showing the status 'Decision in progress'. Now, I am thinking ahead and would like to know if I receive the nomination, should I apply for PR through the Permanent Residence Portal (also known as PR confirmation portal and it is outside Express Entry) OR I should apply through Express Entry after receiving a PNP-based ITA? I do have an Express Entry profile. The main reasons for asking this question are below. As basic info, I have been in Canada for 2 years now and applied for my Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).

1. Is Permanent Residence Portal process easier than Express Entry? ( I checked the application fee for both routes is the same however, processing times are very long i.e., 17 months for Permanent Residence Portal whereas only 9 months for Express Entry as of now.)

2. Has anyone applied for PR through the Permanent Residence Portal after OINP nomination? How was your experience? Which route would you suggest that is less complicated (in terms of documents) and has less processing time?

Thank you for your help. Hope this thread would become the go-to place for other people like me.

Best,
SHIVA

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Hello all..

This is my first ever post here and I searched others before posting this. I just completed a master's degree in Ontario and received invite to apply for PR nomination through OINP - Master's Graduate Stream. My application is showing the status 'Decision in progress'. Now, I am thinking ahead and would like to know if I receive the nomination, should I apply for PR through the Permanent Residence Portal (also known as PR confirmation portal and it is outside Express Entry) OR I should apply through Express Entry after receiving a PNP-based ITA? I do have an Express Entry profile. The main reasons for asking this question are below. As basic info, I have been in Canada for 2 years now and applied for my Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).

1. Is Permanent Residence Portal process easier than Express Entry? ( I checked the application fee for both routes is the same however, processing times are very long i.e., 17 months for Permanent Residence Portal whereas only 9 months for Express Entry as of now.)

2. Has anyone applied for PR through the Permanent Residence Portal after OINP nomination? How was your experience? Which route would you suggest that is less complicated (in terms of documents) and has less processing time?

Thank you for your help. Hope this thread would become the go-to place for other people like me.

Best,
SHIVA
The OINP Masters Graduate stream is a Non-EE stream.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Hi rcincanada2019..

Could you please explain? We do get a Nomination Certificate. That cannot be used towards Express Entry ITA?

What are your view on documents required and processing times?

Thanks for prompt response!
Yes, we get a Nomination Certificate, but our OINP nomination does not give us points for EE. Our PNP is what is called "base" nomination. Hence, we don't get EE ITA even if we have provincial nomination.

For the processing time, my federal application took a little less than eleven months (some other applicants took longer while recent once are quicker).

Jan 12, 2018
Yes, we get a Nomination Certificate, but our OINP nomination does not give us points for EE. Our PNP is what is called "base" nomination. Hence, we don't get EE ITA even if we have provincial nomination.

For the processing time, my federal application took a little less than eleven months (some other applicants took longer while recent once are quicker).
Thank you.. this is quite helpful. I will come back with more Qs if ok.

Best - Shiva

Reactions: rcincanada2019

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Congratulations!

I am not a consultant or immigration lawyer, so there’s no need to discuss one on one. Anything you ask may be beneficial for others in the forum, too.

Jan 12, 2018
Congratulations!

I am not a consultant or immigration lawyer, so there’s no need to discuss one on one. Anything you ask may be beneficial for others in the forum, too.
Thank you! Apologies. This is agreed and understood. I am currently doing my own research and will come back with specific questions.
Thank you for your help.

Reactions: rcincanada2019

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Thank you! Apologies. This is agreed and understood. I am currently doing my own research and will come back with specific questions.
Thank you for your help.
Just fire away your questions here in the forum, so that others may comment as well. More heads are better than one. :)

Reactions: Shivramakrishna
Jan 12, 2018
Just fire away your questions here in the forum, so that others may comment as well. More heads are better than one. :)
Hi.. I had a chance to create my account on the PR Portal and review the documents required. I will come up with more questions but here are some for now:

1) Do I need to include ECA, IELTS report and Police Certificates for my spouse as well? I think not but good to hear from you and others.

2) I did not see any specific requirements for documents on Funds available. I guess it is part of a form. Please confirm.

3) In future, I was planning to sponsor my mother. Just checking if she can be included as a dependent now? Note that she wasn't included in my OINP application.

Thank again for your help!

Last edited:

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Hi.. I had a chance to create my account on the PR Portal and review the documents required. I will come up with more questions but here are some for now:

1) Do I need to include ECA, IELTS report and Police Certificates for my spouse as well? I think not but good to hear from you and others.

2) I did not see any specific requirements for documents on Funds available. I guess it is part of a form. Please confirm.

3) In future, I was planning to sponsor my mother. Just checking if she can be included as a dependent now? Note that she wasn't included in my OINP application.

Thank again for your help!
From my experience:

1. No to ECA and IELTS for spouse. But yes for PCC for all dependents (including children if above 18 before coming to Canada).
2. If you are currently working in Canada under a WP, no need for proof of funds (I did attached my and my wife's NOAs).
3. AFAIK, if you are already married, then parents are no longer considered as direct dependents. You can, however, apply for super visa (or PGP if you qualify) in the future. I could be wrong. Others may have a different opinion/advice for #3.

Jan 12, 2018
From my experience:

1. No to ECA and IELTS for spouse. But yes for PCC for all dependents (including children if above 18 before coming to Canada).
2. If you are currently working in Canada under a WP, no need for proof of funds (I did attached my and my wife's NOAs).
3. AFAIK, if you are already married, then parents are no longer considered as direct dependents. You can, however, apply for super visa (or PGP if you qualify) in the future. I could be wrong. Others may have a different opinion/advice for #3.
Thank you! What is NOA and AFAIK? New to this forum :)

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Thank you! What is NOA and AFAIK? New to this forum :)
No worries!

NOA = Notice Of Assessment. This is CRA acknowledging your tax return submission and informs you if you still have pending payments or if you have refunds.

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

anuj0712

Dec 20, 2023
Hi Yogesh,

I am very new to the forum and the process. Being here on WP with family, applied for the OINP and recently got the ITA and submitted the required documents. I am curious about the further process ,
> should I go ahead and gather other documents for ex PCC etc ?
> What happens after the ITA submission ?
> Do we get enough time for documents gathering and submission ?
> Since you have crossed this, please provide any tips or points to take care.

Thanks
Anuj

Jan 12, 2018
Hi.. sorry for the delay. I was away. Here is my response:

I suggest you wait to hear the OINP response if they require any other documents. Also check processing times. It being the holiday season, this may take time. When I last saw, the processing time was 90-120 days. Secondly, PCCs are likely valid for one year only so you want to wait and apply after getting OINP Nomination. Finally, the best thing is that OINP nomination is valid for 6 months which means you have more than enough time to gather the documents and apply for PR. Re. the OINP process, first step is to confirm if you have submitted all the documents. Check your submission. Note that there is a mention of green blue and red dots against the file number. If all ok, you should first get a green dot (message from OINP) that your application is complete and that they don't need any thing. Else, it will depend on your case. If you see a green dot, it means that they have started processing and will respond within the processing time limit or soon as it was in my case. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

anuj0712

Dec 20, 2023
Hi.. sorry for the delay. I was away. Here is my response:

I suggest you wait to hear the OINP response if they require any other documents. Also check processing times. It being the holiday season, this may take time. When I last saw, the processing time was 90-120 days. Secondly, PCCs are likely valid for one year only so you want to wait and apply after getting OINP Nomination. Finally, the best thing is that OINP nomination is valid for 6 months which means you have more than enough time to gather the documents and apply for PR. Re. the OINP process, first step is to confirm if you have submitted all the documents. Check your submission. Note that there is a mention of green blue and red dots against the file number. If all ok, you should first get a green dot (message from OINP) that your application is complete and that they don't need any thing. Else, it will depend on your case. If you see a green dot, it means that they have started processing and will respond within the processing time limit or soon as it was in my case. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.
Thanks for your reply.
My application is still in submitted state and the button/dot in front of the application is still in white colour / no colour. I also feel due to holidays they are gonna take time to start the processing.
1. Do you know which is the most common document they ask for ? or its case to case basis.
2. Once they start the assessment of the application ,will i be getting any mail or I need to keep checking the portal for the progress ?
3. How much time typically PCC takes to be done from India in your experience ? Should the address on PCC needs to be matching with Passport(no one stays there) or can I provide adhaar card address which is the place my parents are staying. ?
4. Someone talks about the birth certificate also to submit, I dont have any and I came to know BLS provides it, not sure if again how much time it will take and should I wait for nomination before proceeding for the same ?
5. I have a Notarised Marriage affidavit(which is provided for WP also and it worked) from India and no Marriage certificate, will it work here ?

Sorry about so many queries and thanks a ton for the help.