+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After landing..

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anyone know....

I will be landing in December. I know that I will be getting a PR card afterwards and will be getting forms for an S.I.N.

Do I need to have my PR card and the S.I.N. together with me "In hand" before I can apply for any jobs? I do know that I need the PR card for me to establish bank accounts and trade my Drivers license for an Alberta one. I feel that some people are under the erroneous impression that I can apply for work "right away" when the opposite may be true.

Which could make another dilemma - with the posts in this forum telling me that the PR cards are slow in coming, waiting for the PR card to arrive may be not too good for looking for employement if I need it "in hand" to apply. It also could be bad if I do not have the PR card to exchange the Drivers License, since it is Alberta law to exchange such items within 3 months of my landing and I do not want any problems with the RCMP so soon after I land.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Even if you didn't receive your PR after your landing you can still apply for SIN.
To be able to do that you have to show your passport and your cancel PR visa.
To apply for a job you need to provide them with your SIN# which doesn't take time to receive.
I'm pretty sure for your driving license you have to provide them with the passport.
To answer your question, you don't have to wait for your PR card to apply for jobs but you definitely need your SIN# in order for you to apply.
My husband is landing at the end of November and was wondering the same but I read through this forum the information that I'm providing you with.

Good luck!!!

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
You only need your PR card for travel, or as a form of picture identification if you don't have a driver's license. If you plan on never ever leaving Canada you don't even need a PR card.

When you apply for your SIN you will get your SIN Number immediately, but you won't receive the actual card until a few weeks later.

Employers will typically ask you for your SIN only after you have obtained the job. They will require the SIN number to process your paychecks and they usually take a photocopy of your SIN card for their records. It shouldn't be a problem providing them the card at a later date as long as you provide a SIN number.

Regardless applying for your PR card and the SIN card should be your first priority as soon as you have established yourself in Canada. I know I'd be doing that first before unpacking any of my bags or boxes just for peace of mind.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All of the above plus you don't need a SIN or a PR card to open a bank account. Just your passport.

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
PMM or Leon can you apply for a job without receiving SIN card.
When can my husband start searching for a job after his landing process??? Typically he should wait for SIN card right!!!!

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MARLENA said:
PMM or Leon can you apply for a job without receiving SIN card.
When can my husband start searching for a job after his landing process??? Typically he should wait for SIN card right!!!!

Social Insurance Number
The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits.

For more information refer to :
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/sin/index.shtml

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He can apply for jobs without a SIN. They will only need it for tax purposes if he's hired. When he applies for a SIN, he will get the number right away but the card later. He can give his employer the number. If the employer wants to see the card, there should not be a problem to show it later when he gets it.

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Thanks Leon.
BTW Bobby I know SIN# is 9 digit but was wondering if you can work only with the # but not having the actual card yet. I guess it depends on the employer.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
As long as you have a number you can start work. You do not need a SIN number to apply for a job and I would be suspicious of any non-government job that asks for your SIN number on the initial application.

Worst case scenario if you don't have a SIN number they just don't process your paychecks until you get one. But like I said above, you get your SIN number immediately as soon as you apply. The SIN card is just a white card with your name and SIN number on it, and nothing much more, very similar to the US social security card. Employers shouldn't deny you a job if you have not obtained a SIN card yet as long as you have the number.

With the job market looking the way it is, you will probably receive the SIN card before getting a job anyway.

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Mediajunkie thanks for your info which Leon already provided
Actually I'm waiting for my husband arrival he already have a job offer in Montreal with private company through his friend so I'm not worry about him finding a job but rather wondering about the SIN card.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was hired for a job at a major Canadian company before I got my SIN card. Here is the entire process:

You bring your passport with the visa and your Confirmation of Permanent Residence to Service Canada to apply for a SIN number. They will verify your COPR electronically by entering the number. You will receive a print-out with your SIN number which they will stamp and sign, making it an official document. You can then apply for jobs. The SIN card arrives within 1 to 2 weeks. Employers who hire before that will use the paper you gave them, and then as soon as you get the SIN card, you bring it in to them.

So there is no issue with waiting for SIN cards. As soon as you have been to the Service Canada office you will have a SIN and be ready to work.

Also remember to go to the Regie to get Quebec health insurance...

nikosyozzer

Star Member
Aug 10, 2014
Cornwall
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2014
Can somebody please advise me on the following;

I became a PR by landing in Newfoubdland. I landed in June and was there for only one day before heading back to the UK.

I'm planning on moving for good to BC in December. Will I be able to transfer my license as I'll do it within 90days of moving to BC. Or do they found the day I became a PR which was June? The later will then mean I can't transfer my uk license.

Does anyone know?