+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After getting CSQ as a dependent of my partner (who is the Principal Applicant), can I start working immediately?

vicissitude

Star Member
Mar 18, 2021
Exactly, you should call them. Good luck
Called IRCC. It seems I can still work more than 20 hours after Aug 31, 2023 with study permit extension.

Previously, I worried due to the following information on the website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html):

Off-campus work hours public policy and study permit extensions
The international student’s application for a study permit extension was received by IRCC after October 7, 2022

• If their presently valid study permit expires before November 15, 2022, the student is not eligible for the off-campus work hours public policy.
  • If their presently valid study permit expires between November 15, 2022, and December 31, 2023, the student could be eligible for the off-campus work hours public policy between November 15, 2022, and the date on which their presently valid study permit expires.

For the second item, I previously thought the "presently valid study permit" means my current study permit expiring on Aug 31, 2023. However, the guy at IRCC says it should mean my study permit extension after Aug 31, 2023 when I'm in the maintained status after that, waiting for my study permit extension. Then, it means, as long as my future study permit extension will expire before Dec 31, 2023, I satisfy the second condition and can work more than 20 hours off campus until the expiration date of my future study permit extension.

Thanks again!

• Love
Reactions: powereng1982

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
No. You need a work permit to work. Are you eligible for BOWP?

If you applied for permanent residence as a Quebec skilled worker
Who can apply
To be eligible for a BOWP, you must

• live in Canada and intend to live in Quebec
    • You can leave Canada while we process your application.
    • However, if you leave Canada after your work permit expires, you can’t work until your new application is approved.
  • hold a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ)
  • be the principal applicant on your permanent residence application
  • have passed a completeness check for permanent residence
  • either
Can spouse in CSQ applucation become the main applicant in PR application? Since now both persons hold a CSQ,