+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After expiry of PR Card while I am outside Canada......to apply for supervisa.

silly

Feb 12, 2014
Dear All,
My PR card will expire in this August 2015.I am still in Canada.
My family had already applied for citizenship and waiting for Oath ceremony.
However,I have not completed Residency obligations and if I leave Canada for job in Middle east, my PR card will expire while I am outside Canada.

so after expiry of my PR card while outside Canada, can I apply for supervisa(10 years) ? to meet my family in Canada .

Regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Before you can apply for a super visa you will first need to officially give up your PR status. You can do this through your local embassy.

As for applying for the super visa, do you have an adult child or adult grandchild who is a Canadian citizen or PR, who is living in Canada and who is making sufficient income through a job in Canada in order to meet the low income cut off to sponsor you for a super visa?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The OP is a PR who based on historic posts may have issues with the RO due to absences from Canada. The super visa is for parents and wouldn't apply to you. Your options are:

1. Sit tight in Canada until you are back in RO compliance -unlikely as the ME job is calling.

2. Travel abroad and rely on accompanying a Canadian citizen provision to complying with the RO as and when the time comes for PRTD and/or PR Card application - this has logistical requirements and depends on a successful citizenship application. Are there any complications at this time with the citizenship application of your spouse - any RQ? Has test been passed? Did she have 1095 days of physical presence? Cain she prove this?

3. If there are issues with the citizenship application or its not completed at the time you get reported be sponsored by the spouse subject to the requirements in place.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why bother to apply supervisa when you can apply for regular multiple visit visas?

silly

Feb 12, 2014
Thanks All,

1)what is the difference between Super visa and Regular multi visit visa ?

2) will it make any difference if PR Card expires or I surrender it to Canadian embassy before expiry ?

3) are the requirement for super visa different that regular multi visit visa ?

Conclusion, I am and will be interested to visit family in Canada .....if I get Job outside Canada .

regards

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
silly said:
Thanks All,

1)what is the difference between Super visa and Regular multi visit visa ?

2) will it make any difference if PR Card expires or I surrender it to Canadian embassy before expiry ?

3) are the requirement for super visa different that regular multi visit visa ?

Conclusion, I am and will be interested to visit family in Canada .....if I get Job outside Canada .

regards
1) Super Visa is good if you plan to stay for a long time (more tha 6 months that's the usual time they give you when having a normal visa). As you plan to work abroad, you just come on vacation, you need a regular visa.

2) Even with your PR expired you are legally a Permanent Resident and can't ask for a tourist visa until you surrender your status or an official revoke it.

3) Yes, starting with the fact that with Supervisa you have to purchase travel insurance.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Before you can apply for a super visa you will first need to officially give up your PR status. You can do this through your local embassy.
NO. It has to be done at the Canadian embassy if he's abroad.

Jerry1410

Star Member
May 17, 2015
Hi

I have some questions about Super Visa.

1. The super visa is valid for 10 years. What happens after 10 years. Is it extendable to a further 10 years?

2. Can a person on super visa take up employment in Canada?

3. No healthcare is available and the person has to have medical insurance. Is that right?

4. Is the person on super visa obligated to pay taxes?

Thank you for your replies.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jerry1410 said:
Hi

I have some questions about Super Visa.

1. The super visa is valid for 10 years. What happens after 10 years. Is it extendable to a further 10 years?

2. Can a person on super visa take up employment in Canada?

3. No healthcare is available and the person has to have medical insurance. Is that right?

4. Is the person on super visa obligated to pay taxes?

Thank you for your replies.
1) Yes.
2) NO.
3) Yes
4) In Canada, of course not as he is not supposed to have income.

The Super Visa is a NON-IMMIGRANT visa (called also Temporary Resident), it's like a Tourist Visa but allow you to stay longer in every trip. It doesn't allow you to get any work.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
neutral said:
NO. It has to be done at the Canadian embassy if he's abroad.
Right - that's what I meant by local embassy (i.e. the Canadian embassy in the country of your residency).

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Personally, I'd be inclined to run the tax question by an *experienced* tax accountant...

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lammawitch said:
Personally, I'd be inclined to run the tax question by an *experienced* tax accountant...
Concur with this - depends on what's being taxed as source of income or if its some other kind of tax e.g property taxes if they own a property. It does raise the question of being a deemed resident by CRA when the individual has substantial assets.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
neutral said:
4) In Canada, of course not as he is not supposed to have income.
Why are you talking about? The person can't even have dividend income or rental income properties in Canada or elsewhere? Dividend income and rental income are also incomes and subject to taxation!

Jerry1410

Star Member
May 17, 2015
Thanks for lots of replies on this.

Some more questions.

1. Can anybody sponsor a person on super visa and provide a work permit and employ them.
2. Can such a person start any independent business, such as a Consultant on his own.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jerry1410 said:
Thanks for lots of replies on this.

Some more questions.

1. Can anybody sponsor a person on super visa and provide a work permit and employ them.
2. Can such a person start any independent business, such as a Consultant on his own.
1a. No. Super visa is only for parents and grandparents. In order to get one, you have to be sponsored by an adult child or an adult grandchild who is a PR or citizen and they need to show that they have enough income to support you as well as their own family. A super visa is still a visitor visa but allows you to stay up to 2 years at a time instead of 6 months. As for the taxation question pondered earlier, as a visitor, you are not given a SIN (social insurance number) so I fail to see how CRA will tax you if you don't have a SIN.

1b. As for providing a work permit, there is no point in getting a super visa or another visitor visa before applying for a work permit. If you have an employer who is willing to hire you, the employer must apply for an LMIA (labour market impact assessment) from Service Canada. The employer must pay for it and they must prove that they advertised the job but had no qualified applicants and they must be offering market wage. If the employer gets the LMIA, they send it to you and you use it to apply for a work permit. In order to get the work permit, you must prove that you are not a risk to overstay in Canada. Even with a valid LMIA, you can still be denied a work permit if immigration thinks you might overstay.

2. As for starting a business, you can start by reading this: http://smallbusinessbc.ca/article/do-i-have-be-canadian-start-a-business-bc/ As it says, it may not always be necessary to have residency in order to start a business. You would however not be allowed to work for your own business without a work permit. Getting a work permit from another employer would be a closed work permit and would only allow you to work for that employer. In order to work for somebody else, you would need either a new work permit or an open work permit. One way to get an open work permit would be if you complete a study program in Canada and get a post-graduate work permit. Another would be if your spouse is on a closed work permit as a skilled worker or your spouse is a student. In that case, you could get an open work permit as a spouse of a worker/student.