+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After COPR only primary able to soft land

Q9146

Oct 27, 2018
Have been following this blog since 1 year.
Blog Was helpful at every step.
Managed to get ppr just by reading this blog and cic website and some common sense!!
Joined first time now as things got serious(ppr email).
Not sure if its the right way to start a new thread. Excuse me.

Quick question based on my situation.

1) Me primary, wife dependent.
2) expecting stamped passport in a week or two. Passport delivered to ottawa cic yesterday.
3) wife pregnant with due date in december week 1.
4) No specific info to cic regarding preg. just medical doctor mentioned while xray and took notes on record.
5) resident of usa
6) citizen of india.
7) us visa expiry june 2019
8) us visa extension filing Between january- march 2019

Ideally, we planned that we will receive ppr early during pregnancy and plan a soft landing via car (border 3hrs away). Come back same day.Then continue with normal routine and baby delivery here. Had No plans to include baby in PR application etc as baby passport would be US and we dont intend to move to canada at least for a year or two or till h1 extention denial.

Now, considering a delayed PPR email and an eventual delayed passport stamping, wife a bit skeptical if she can do this 1 day journey back and forth between residence and border. Would be approx 37-38 weeks if passports come back in 2-3 weeks from today.

What are my options?

Any suggestions?

If I go alone and soft land. What about wife and baby ?
We will have two constraints for a delayed or seperate landing
1)our Medical would expire around july 2019
2) US visa would expire around June 2019, so cant do much travelling within last 3 months as extension of visa would be in process.

Thanks all.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Have been following this blog since 1 year.
Blog Was helpful at every step.
Managed to get ppr just by reading this blog and cic website and some common sense!!
Joined first time now as things got serious(ppr email).
Not sure if its the right way to start a new thread. Excuse me.

Quick question based on my situation.

1) Me primary, wife dependent.
2) expecting stamped passport in a week or two. Passport delivered to ottawa cic yesterday.
3) wife pregnant with due date in december week 1.
4) No specific info to cic regarding preg. just medical doctor mentioned while xray and took notes on record.
5) resident of usa
6) citizen of india.
7) us visa expiry june 2019
8) us visa extension filing Between january- march 2019

Ideally, we planned that we will receive ppr early during pregnancy and plan a soft landing via car (border 3hrs away). Come back same day.Then continue with normal routine and baby delivery here. Had No plans to include baby in PR application etc as baby passport would be US and we dont intend to move to canada at least for a year or two or till h1 extention denial.

Now, considering a delayed PPR email and an eventual delayed passport stamping, wife a bit skeptical if she can do this 1 day journey back and forth between residence and border. Would be approx 37-38 weeks if passports come back in 2-3 weeks from today.

What are my options?

Any suggestions?

If I go alone and soft land. What about wife and baby ?
We will have two constraints for a delayed or seperate landing
1)our Medical would expire around july 2019
2) US visa would expire around June 2019, so cant do much travelling within last 3 months as extension of visa would be in process.

Thanks all.
Either your wife lands before the baby is born or you will have to sponsor them both after. Your wife cannot have the child and then land with the COPR from this app.

As a PR, you would be required to live in Canada during the sponsorship process. If your wife is unable to get a TRV to Canada, when you leave the US, she would have to return to India while you come to Canada to sponsor. Be prepared to be apart from your family for up to a year.

Or you make things way easier on yourselves and have her land before the birth.

Q9146

Oct 27, 2018
Either your wife lands before the baby is born or you will have to sponsor them both after. Your wife cannot have the child and then land with the COPR from this app.

As a PR, you would be required to live in Canada during the sponsorship process. If your wife is unable to get a TRV to Canada, when you leave the US, she would have to return to India while you come to Canada to sponsor. Be prepared to be apart from your family for up to a year.

Or you make things way easier on yourselves and have her land before the birth.
Thanks for your answer.

1) For the sponsoring option;
We both have a TRV stamped to our passports valid for 7-8 yrs.

I understand my TRV would become invalid once i Land as PR. So can we avoid that situation of she being away with baby in india while I sponsor them ? Because she Has a TRV and Baby would have US passport.

2) For the Ideal option of we both soft landing before delivery and returning back to US;

What happens in this case. Can the baby easily come with us to canada when decide to move there say in 2020. Knowing that Baby will have US passport.

Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your answer.

1) For the sponsoring option;
We both have a TRV stamped to our passports valid for 7-8 yrs.

I understand my TRV would become invalid once i Land as PR. So can we avoid that situation of she being away with baby in india while I sponsor them ? Because she Has a TRV and Baby would have US passport.

2) For the Ideal option of we both soft landing before delivery and returning back to US;

What happens in this case. Can the baby easily come with us to canada when decide to move there say in 2020. Knowing that Baby will have US passport.

Thanks.
1. She and the child could come to Canada as visitors while the sponsorship app processes. Note that they likely won't have health coverage in Canada during the process.

2. Yes, the child could come as a visitor and you could then sponsor him/her.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
I was in almost same situation last year and decided to soft land while wife was in her 34th week. We were 7 hrs away from border.

Q9146

Oct 27, 2018
I was in almost same situation last year and decided to soft land while wife was in her 34th week. We were 7 hrs away from border.
Thanks for the reply.

Can you suggest/update more on what eventually you did so as to get some insight.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks for the reply.

Can you suggest/update more on what eventually you did so as to get some insight.
We softlanded while my wife was 34 weeks pregnant. Booked a hotel on US side close to border. Drove to hotel. Rested. Went to border for soft landing. Returned to hotel. Rested. Returned back to hometown next morning.

We decided on this trip after taking permission from Doctors.

If you are looking for more information let me know.

Q9146

Oct 27, 2018
We softlanded while my wife was 34 weeks pregnant. Booked a hotel on US side close to border. Drove to hotel. Rested. Went to border for soft landing. Returned to hotel. Rested. Returned back to hometown next morning.

We decided on this trip after taking permission from Doctors.

If you are looking for more information let me know.
Great thanks.
So some more questions arise in my mind;
1) Did you take own car or rental?
2) How did you manage customs on the car/rental. Have read bad experiences of people. Over all how did you work out customs( goods with u and to follow)
3) Did you tell agent that u are soft landing and returning immediately without even going ahead into canada.
4) did you simply u turn back to usa?
5) any concern or questions from agents as to wife being pregnant while entering canada.
6) Did they allow you to apply for PR card. Read at many blogs, they ask to apply when we move permanently.
7) any other documentation u did. Like SIN etc.

Thanks.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Most of the follow up questions you have asked are not related to pregnancy and are covered very well at other places in this forum.

1. Own car.
2. I didn't submit Goods to Follow / Goods Accompanied at the time of soft landing. I plan to submit these documents at the time of permanent move.
3. Yes. This is what I told CBSA agents. Soft landing and U-turn.
4. Yes
5. No. My wife was wearing a long jacket ( Dec 2017) and none of the CBSA agent noticed. Even if they notice then most probably won't ask. Even if they ask you need not worry. You are not doing anything illegal.
6. If you mention soft landing, then they won't allow you to apply for PR card.
7. I didn't do SIN or Bank account etc at the time of soft landing. We returned from border.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Here's what you should do in my opinion. Sponsoring/adding the unborn child in future will be a hassle.
1. Wait for the child to be born.
2. Get the child's passport.
3. Raise a case specific inquiry requesting the child to be added.
4. Complete the child's medicals.
5. Add the child to the application.
6. After it is processed and approved, you will all get updated COPR's.

All this will take about 2 to 3 months after delivery. Which will put you in March timeframe. You can all complete your soft landing at that point and then all of you will be able to move permanently later. All this will work out better since you are in no hurry to actually move, it will also save you money on the sponsorship application in future.

Q9146

Oct 27, 2018
Most of the follow up questions you have asked are not related to pregnancy and are covered very well at other places in this forum.

1. Own car.
2. I didn't submit Goods to Follow / Goods Accompanied at the time of soft landing. I plan to submit these documents at the time of permanent move.
3. Yes. This is what I told CBSA agents. Soft landing and U-turn.
4. Yes
5. No. My wife was wearing a long jacket ( Dec 2017) and none of the CBSA agent noticed. Even if they notice then most probably won't ask. Even if they ask you need not worry. You are not doing anything illegal.
6. If you mention soft landing, then they won't allow you to apply for PR card.
7. I didn't do SIN or Bank account etc at the time of soft landing. We returned from border.
Thanks Everyone for their reply.

I received my passports back today and plan to go ahead and travel this weekend saturday.

My clear cut plan is;
1)Pick rental
2)Reach Peace Bride
3)Present Copr and passport
4)Come back right away.

Q1) Is this feasible and simple as it sounds?
Q2) I do not want to declare anything now or for the future as I dont intend to import anything with me in future except personal belongings like cloths etc.
Q3) Any way I can get them make me apply for the PR card. I intend to tell then that After this landing, I will be visiting canada almost every two weeks(as i live close to border) to get things settled in canada and sorted/windup in usa. Is that solid enough in your opinion ?

Pls let me know what should I do. And am i thinking right.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
1. Yes
2. That's OK
3. Just tell them that you are their for soft landing. They won't process your PR card and it's OK. 5-10 days after soft landing , call CIC and let them know that you want to update your address for PR cards. Give them Canadian address and your PR card processing will start.

Q9146

Oct 27, 2018
1. Yes
2. That's OK
3. Just tell them that you are their for soft landing. They won't process your PR card and it's OK. 5-10 days after soft landing , call CIC and let them know that you want to update your address for PR cards. Give them Canadian address and your PR card processing will start.
Thanks.

Eventually, we both Sucessfull managed to Travel on Saturday (10 Nov) and completed the Landing Formalities.

1) Took Rental
2) Headed for Peace Bridge (180 miles) - Super Snow in PA
3) Checkpost Agent was nice and guided us to CBSA office inside with yellow slip.
4) CBSA agent was a bit cold. Maybe was too much worked up.
5) First question he asked and persistently kept on asking/enquiring that "what is the rush? You came from US for this."- Answered honestly about upcoming baby.
6) He took Canada address but hesitantly.
7) Got us signed the COPR.Gave us a flyer with PR details and info and asked to read and come back.
8) The doc had PR card time lines and basic PR rules. We thought Address is accepted.
9) Went back to him, he said congrats and all. Said he cant take the address as it does not make sense as I dont live there and its just a friends.
10) I reiterated him that if they accept the address, my friend wll call me when he receives the cards and i will travel again with COPR into canada to get the cards. HE GOT A BIT IRRITATED AND SAID IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE.
11) Eventually said, If you want PR card , call CIC when you come here for good and they will send. He(CBSA) cant send it.
12) I myself asked what about Good to follow. He said am i carrying anything now. I said no but i have items at home i would want to put in goods to follow. He said no need for that. Only when you come for good and have an address, get that list of goods to follow. (confused - as Checkpost agent outside said this is your only chance for goods to follow).
13) We said thanks. Thanked God for this milestone completion.
14) Started car, Gave 3.75 for QEW Toll. Immediately took a sharp right turn exit and entered back into USA.

Fun Fact* US CBP asked thrice the number of questions as against Canada CBSA :D

Bonus Fact*

CBP: When did you go to canada and what did you do there.
Me: Like 10 minutes ago.
CBP: Lol

Question to forum:
1) Am I required to do anything now? Apart from figuring out the Residency requirement in future.
2) Can i still call CIC and update my address for PR card (is it ok knowing that I have no intention to settling atleast for a year or two. --BTW Told Agent 3-4 months when he asked the question)
3) I know i can use the signed copr for land travel in personal vehicle. Question is, can I do frequent up and down to canada (Like I would have done with a PR Card or a TRV) with that signed COPR say for the next 1-2 yrs.(whatever time I dont get PR card/Settle there for good).
4) Even if I can travel/ Will I need to everytime go inside the post ?
5) Any more tips/checklist would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joshua2018

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Question to forum:
1) Am I required to do anything now? Apart from figuring out the Residency requirement in future.
2) Can i still call CIC and update my address for PR card (is it ok knowing that I have no intention to settling atleast for a year or two. --BTW Told Agent 3-4 months when he asked the question)
3) I know i can use the signed copr for land travel in personal vehicle. Question is, can I do frequent up and down to canada (Like I would have done with a PR Card or a TRV) with that signed COPR say for the next 1-2 yrs.(whatever time I dont get PR card/Settle there for good).
4) Even if I can travel/ Will I need to everytime go inside the post ?
5) Any more tips/checklist would be appreciated.
1. Call CIC and update address for PR cards. Even if you are not moving for 1-2 years, still request PR cards for 2 reasons:
a) If you don't request PR card within 6 months of landing, then it will cost you $50 CAD
b) If you got to Service Canada office for SIN 1 year after landing , then they will ask to see your PR card before issuing you SIN.

2. Yes

3. Yes but only via land.

4. Most of the times No. You will show COPR + Passport to checkpost agent and he will allow you to enter Canada without going to CBSA office. At times they might want to check goods you are carrying and they might ask you to visit customs.

Reactions: Joshua2018

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Thank you for sharing. Do share your PR card experience and future child sponsorship experience later. I still feel the sponsorship will be a lot of unnecessary hassle that could have been easily avoided.