+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After completing my undergraduate degree in Canada, do I need to apply for a new study permit to pursue my graduate studies?

ze000123

Aug 21, 2021
I am an undergraduate student at Memorial University. I applied for the SFU master's program and got accepted. However, they gave me a conditional offer requiring me to graduate. My question is, do I need to re-apply for the study permit after I graduate from Memorial University? I read that I can just change post-secondary school, but if I graduate and continue studying master, is that qualified as a "change" or "transfer"? And my study permit will be expired 90 days after the program is completed. So in this situation, do I need to apply for an extension of my study permit? Or re-apply for a new study permit?

My study permit is written as "DESIGNATED LEARNING INST-NL." So is that mean I can only use that study permit to study in Newfoundland, not other provinces?

I would be very appreciative if anyone could answer my questions and confusion.

EssKay1234

Oct 25, 2022
Yes you need a new study permit for new program. Each SP is issued against a specific LOA to a specific program at a specific DLI.