20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Ardi77 said:
Thanks everyones for their concern and responds. I believe my best call would be to apply again and since Oct 2008 that I landed, I have not been out of country more than 3 months. Hopefully, CIC would be convienced this time that I can be a citizen.

I guess because I have been always working in the private section and we are dealing with being effiecient and reaching targets on the daily basis, I m not really familiar with relaxing government work environmet. I am sure it would be more effiecient ways of communication and procedure in order to have everyone a happy citizen.....

The surprising part is that in my hearing, all the judge (Aris Babikian) was asking was about the time after my application and he was trying to find out if I was staying in the country meanwhile I was waiting. As I said, I have all my paychecks and tax forms from one of the 5 biggest canadian bank for these years and he seemed to be happy at the end..... but again it is now just 5 years waste of time and efforts.... who cares :( :(

Thanks everyone for your kind respond,
Sorry that you had to waste 5 years over it. At least this time around you don't have to wait any longer. You can apply again under the new rule and likelihood that you will get your citizenship faster under the new process. All the best.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
Ardi77 said:
Thanks for your help, I wish I was aware of this forum long time ago.....Actually I asked couple of time from CIC call centre if I should withdraw and apply again, and unfortunatelly they tole me if I do I would be going through the same process again...

I came to Canada from my home country because ppl wouldn't be respected or heard by the government... I came to Canada because I taught they would treat me based on respect and fairness.... I guess I wasn't thinking straight to some extent...
I think you should be aware of little more math, if you ask me. If you demand respect and fairness from government, you should prove that in the first place i.e. following the rules.
But good you learned about this forum, you'll find few too many around here same smart like yourself thinking deserve better and faster.

Ardi77

Jun 26, 2015
era1521 said:
I think you should be aware of little more math, if you ask me. If you demand respect and fairness from government, you should prove that in the first place i.e. following the rules.
But good you learned about this forum, you'll find few too many around here same smart like yourself thinking deserve better and faster.
I guess it is really hard for some to accept the fact that I sent my application earlier just by honest mistake..... and again if my intention was to break the law, I would've done it in a way that it would be hard to be found,,,,not with 5 min calculation... :'(

Thanks for your concern though...

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Ardi77 said:
I guess it is really hard for some to accept the fact that I sent my application earlier just by honest mistake..... and again if my intention was to break the law, I would've done it in a way that it would be hard to be found,,,,not with 5 min calculation... :'(

Thanks for your concern though...
If you don't mind me asking. Did you use the online residency calculator to determine if you qualified or not or did you only do the calculations manually by hand?

Ardi77

Jun 26, 2015
I did it myself and since I was in Canada 3 years before I have my landing paper.....

From Oct 2008(landing) to Nov 2010(application) = 2 YEARS (no exit from Canada)
From 3 years being student here= 1 YEAR

So I was convienced that I have my 3 years, and I don't remember the exact calculation...

cedarjet

Star Member
Mar 13, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ardi77 said:
I did it myself and since I was in Canada 3 years before I have my landing paper.....

So I was convienced that I have my 3 years, and I don't remember the exact calculation...
What's done is done. Apply again now while it is applications are processed fast. Worst case you will get ur citizenship next year. U waited 5 years, so a few more months can't hurt

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry to hear this. But I don't see how Canada was unfair to you. You made a mistake and you had the choice of withdrawing your application at any time. What is done is done. Just apply again and you should get it way quicker this time.

Good luck.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Ardi77 said:

That is one of the major drawback in doing the calculation yourself over the online residence calculator. You put yourself at a disadvantage as no matter how hard you convinced yourself that you did the calculation right, we are all prone to error. The online residence calculator would have corrected all your errors and you would have seen yourself that you were short on the number of days.

Let it be a lesson learned for yourself and to others who attempt to do their calculations themselves instead of the online residence calculator.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ardi77 After 5 years rejected, but if you apply again soon you will be granted with Canadian citizenship after couple of months.

And yes, use only the online residence calculator.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Reapply as soon as possible. Forget about the judicial review--it was your mistake and the burden is on you. This process is unfair to those who were eligible to apply on the 13th of June, and who were burnt by a day! this process is not unfair to those who missed not one or two, but 60 days... Everyone is an angelic candidate, but the rules are strict.

Just forget about all this, reapply, and celebrate this Christmas as a Canadian citizen.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Ardi77 said:
The reason that I applied earlier it was just because of miscalculation of number of days...

Please help me to see the fairness and rational for this system that they accepted my application even though it was 58 days short, and they told me the judge would decide if you are eligible. For the sake of the argument lets assume that I am not lying and I stayed in the country for the whole time after that period, now after 5 years they got back to me that I shouldn't applied at the first place since I was 56 days short ...

Would it be more fair and rational if they would send me home and tell me to come back in 56 days and then apply not after 5 years....
Overall: new application is really the only practical course to pursue.

This is about the old law. Under the old law a PR could be eligible for citizenship but not necessarily qualified. If persuaded to apply a qualitative test for residency, a Citizenship Judge could find the applicant met the residency requirement and approve citizenship even though the applicant had less than 1095 days Actual Physical Presence (a shortfall applicants).

There never has been a definitive indication from CIC, CJs, or the Federal Court, but it has long been my understanding that applications short of the 1095 days of Actual Physical Presence relying on pre-landing credit had virtually no chance, even back when many shortfall (less than 1095 APP) applications were otherwise being approved.

What was not fair:

What was NOT fair was the lack of communication from CIC about the practical realities regarding shortfall applications, especially when CIC shifted policies and practices toward more strictly applying the APP test. In 2010, in particular, it was far from widely known that CIC had begun pushing the APP test . . . did not become apparent until 2011 and CIC has never formally publicized a shift in internal policy.

Indeed, even in 2012, CIC's formal internal policy (as revealed in internal memos obtained via ATIP requests) still only required a referral to a CJ hearing for applicants with less than 900 days APP (that is, as of 2012 CIC might still refer an applicant nearly two hundred days short for a file review, no hearing necessary) . . . but it was becoming increasingly clear that in actual practice, CIC was often if not usually making a negative referral to CJs in shortfall cases, even if the shortfall was not by a lot.

scylla said:
Here's my two cents - which isn't worth much since I'm not in charge. Ideally anyone without sufficient days should be automatically refused with no opportunity to appear in front of a judge - and told to reapply once they qualify. Only those where there is a disagreement between the applicant and CIC regarding whether the residency requirement is met should appear in front of a judge. That's how I would design the process. But again - what I think means nothing...
Under the old law, CIC could not do this, since as long as the basic residency requirement was met, the applicant was eligible for citizenship and only a Citizenship Judge could decide that the residency requirement was not met. Indeed, until August 1, 2014 (when Bill C-24 procedures came into effect), only a CJ could deny an application.

While there are still some transitional procedure issues for applicants who applied by June 10, 2015, for all applications submitted since then there is no longer any distinction between being eligible versus qualified. Thus, going forward, CIC will be able to summarily reject any application based on a physical presence declaration (no more "residency calculation," but rather now a "physical presence calculation") which does not meet both the 4/6 year requirement and the 183 X 4 CY requirement.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ardi77 said:
Became PR: Oct 2008
Citizenship Application: Nov 2010
4 years period:Nov 2007 - Nov 2010(Partly Student Visa)
Citizenship Test: March 2012 (Scarborough Centre)
Hearing with Aris Babikian: Oct 2014

I made my biggest mistake in my life and sent my citizenship application 58 days earlier, and now after 5 years Judge(Babikian) rejected my case.

During 2007-2010, I went to university in Canada and I was working in one of the canadian bank with all the paychecks available. After hearing, Babikian told me that everything is fine with my case and it is just one missing border stamp in my passport which he would inquire from the border control. He even asked for my police report 2 months ago and then after he received it, he declined my case.

He gave me the option either to apply again or apply for judicial review. I have been in Canada since Dec 2004 and I may have been out of country not more than 4 month during this time. I am so upset with this extreme unfairness of the system and I am asking for help from whoever has knowledge with this matter to help me if I should re-apply or apply for judicial review. :( :( :(

In advance, thanks for your help and respond.
Actually the unfairness would have been to grant you citizenship when you apply with less than the required days. It would have been unfair to everyone else who waited to apply.
Regardless, you can probably apply right away now.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanV said:
Actually the unfairness would have been to grant you citizenship when you apply with less than the required days. It would have been unfair to everyone else who waited to apply.
Regardless, you can probably apply right away now.
I was going to say the same exact words. The fairness is very relative ...

The process is bureaucratic but not unfair. Someone could apply the next day after landing, so with just one day in Canada and would have the same long process that you had and at the end of it facing the judge.

TomTony

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most of the replies are suggesting a new application... So I think it's better if you send a new one.

Good luck.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Pretty sad circumstances and too bad you hadn't found this forum earlier. The CIC call centre can not provide legal advice. Best bet is to re-apply and use the online calculator to be sure you meet requirements this time.