+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Affidavit & Translation of documents

Yuba

Star Member
Jan 16, 2019
Hi,

i am just double-checking my documents and saw a post in an old thread that said if the translation is done by a certified translator by your country an affidavit is not required. Is this true? Can someone help clarify?

My documents are translated and certified by the Court translator but there was no affidavit provided. Do i really need to get an affidavit?

ahm756

Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
Hi,

i am just double-checking my documents and saw a post in an old thread that said if the translation is done by a certified translator by your country an affidavit is not required. Is this true? Can someone help clarify?

My documents are translated and certified by the Court translator but there was no affidavit provided. Do I really need to get an affidavit?
Hi, I'm in a similar situation. Did you have any issues submitting without an affidavit and certified copy?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Hi, I'm in a similar situation. Did you have any issues submitting without an affidavit and certified copy?
Is your translator a Canadian-certified translator? Then they should be certifying a copy as part of their translation work.

Is your translator not Canadian-certified? Then you need an affidavit and certified copy?

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Is your translator not Canadian-certified? Then you need an affidavit and certified copy?
My understanding is that you need an affidavit if your translator is not certified.

If your translator is certified in Canada or by their country, then an affidavit is not required. Is my understanding correct?

"Determining if a translator is certified
A certified translator is a member in good standing whose certification can be confirmed by a seal or stamp that shows the translator’s membership number of a professional translation association in Canada or abroad. All stamps and seals that are not in English or French must also be translated.

If the translation is being done in Canada
Applicants should use the services of a certified translator who is in good standing with their provincial or territorial organization and certified to translate documents.

If the translation is being done outside of Canada
Applicants should use the services of a translator who is accredited (officially recognized or authorized) in the country where the translation is being completed."

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/removal-risk-assessment/translation.html

ahm756

Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
My understanding is that you need an affidavit if your translator is not certified.

If your translator is certified in Canada or by their country, then an affidavit is not required. Is my understanding correct?

"Determining if a translator is certified
A certified translator is a member in good standing whose certification can be confirmed by a seal or stamp that shows the translator’s membership number of a professional translation association in Canada or abroad. All stamps and seals that are not in English or French must also be translated.

If the translation is being done in Canada
Applicants should use the services of a certified translator who is in good standing with their provincial or territorial organization and certified to translate documents.

If the translation is being done outside of Canada
Applicants should use the services of a translator who is accredited (officially recognized or authorized) in the country where the translation is being completed."

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/removal-risk-assessment/translation.html
Thanks for your response. You are right, I checked those pages earlier and an affidavit is not required if the translator is certified.

mzt18

Sep 21, 2021
Hi i am in a similar situation as well, were there any issues without the affidavit and certified copy? (meaning only uploading the original copy along with the certified translator)