+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Affidavit of Separation from Spouse

kshah1991

Sep 20, 2016
Hi everyone, I've received my ITA and as proof of my "Separated" marital status I want to make an Affidavit of Separation, my husband is not cooperating so I will have to do this myself somehow without requiring his signature. I am applying as a single applicant, my spouse is a Canadian citizen.

In explaining the "Breakdown of Marriage" bit on the Affidavit, how much detail and what sort of details will be required? I know a lot of you at the forum have taken this route, request you to tell me what you filled in and if it was accepted or were any queries raised?

Thank you so much in advance!

Houzi

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
If you filed for a divorce, you can add court documents as proof. There is a timeline for separation as well. Don't remember exactly, but you should be living apart for some time to be considered as separated. Check CIC website for more info. These dates must be provided to CIC. I know a case when an applicant provided his friends affidavits to prove his Common Law Partner's status, as they didn't have enough evidence (common bank accounts, lease etc). You may consider it too. Or maybe bank docs showing bank accounts separation, if you had any, new lease with a different address. Good luck.

singsand

Star Member
Feb 17, 2017
AOR Received.
12-06-2017
As per cicc glossary : Separated means that two people are married but no longer living together, and they do not wish to live together again. They may be waiting for a divorce or have not yet decided to divorce.

deep143

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
Hello Dear,
I'm in same situation.how did you processed your application and what was the output. Please let me know.

Hi everyone, I've received my ITA and as proof of my "Separated" marital status I want to make an Affidavit of Separation, my husband is not cooperating so I will have to do this myself somehow without requiring his signature. I am applying as a single applicant, my spouse is a Canadian citizen.

In explaining the "Breakdown of Marriage" bit on the Affidavit, how much detail and what sort of details will be required? I know a lot of you at the forum have taken this route, request you to tell me what you filled in and if it was accepted or were any queries raised?

Kingharshal

Jun 10, 2017
Hi KShah,
How did your application go with the proof of separation?

Al lot of us are in similar situation and your reply and be helpful to a lot of us

Thank you

Deepika_123

Dec 22, 2020

Hi kshah,

I am in same boat. I am eligible for PR. Do not know how to proceed. Have you provided any letters of explanation regarding divorce. Could you please share the steps you have taken so far?
Thanks in advance!

Kingharshal

Jun 10, 2017
Hi
Was your ITA approved as a single applicant or joint with your partner.

If you got your ITA as single applicant then this is what you need. Documents are non negotiable
Affidavit of separation ( your declaration)
Divorce application filed (to support as legal proof for your declaration)

there is a sample of affidavit on this thread that I have used too so go back and refer to it. Affidavit of separation is not important if you have a proof of divorce application filed.
don’t look for that 1 person in a thousand who got PR just with affidavit of separation. That was just clerical error and will not happen with everyone.

if you got your ITA with your partner being involved and his points made all the difference then either you find a way to work it out or forget about that ITA and apply individual with the 2 important documents above . The moment you mention seperated in your apppication, they will want a legal proof to see that your are serious about separation and not doing it just to get more points individually and then sponsor your partner in future.
all application with ONLY affidavit will get stuck at proof stage and delay your process until YOU GIVE A COPY OF FILING A DIVORCE APPLICATION.

consider this - if your relationship is going thru tuff time and you want to apply for PR before solving your personal life then there is always a possibility that your partner will back off from the process and cause you trouble and delay.

Gurleenkaur2020

Mar 5, 2020
Dear all, although i had applied as a single applicant in may 2020, and in july 2021, i got married (marriage registered). Informed IRCC about marriage and non-accompanying spouse in feb 2022. We are having a troubled marriage and now, my husband is refusing to cooperate for medical/pcc, and threaten me to divorce him or file a petition first, if i want his support. I do not want to file a mutual divorce, for obvious reasons, as my husband and inlaws are involved in adultery and domestic violence, this way they are looking for a safe passage.

1. Now, if IRCC will ask for spouse medical/pcc, what documents or affidavits can be provided to convince them to proceed without my spouse details?
2. Any samples of affidavits? Please.
3. Please share solutions as i feel stuck.
PLEASE PLEASE RESPOND AND HELP

Kingharshal

Jun 10, 2017
Dear all, although i had applied as a single applicant in may 2020, and in july 2021, i got married (marriage registered). Informed IRCC about marriage and non-accompanying spouse in feb 2022. We are having a troubled marriage and now, my husband is refusing to cooperate for medical/pcc, and threaten me to divorce him or file a petition first, if i want his support. I do not want to file a mutual divorce, for obvious reasons, as my husband and inlaws are involved in adultery and domestic violence, this way they are looking for a safe passage.

1. Now, if IRCC will ask for spouse medical/pcc, what documents or affidavits can be provided to convince them to proceed without my spouse details?
2. Any samples of affidavits? Please.
3. Please share solutions as i feel stuck.
PLEASE PLEASE RESPOND AND HELP
Hello,
Firstly sorry to hear about your situation and believe me you are the only one who can HELP yourself in this situation by choosing 1 of the options .

sorry I don’t understand your obvious reason of you not wanting to file for divorce when you are telling all of us here that your in laws and husband are not treating you right .
you cannot have this both ways as immigration does not function without documented proof.

1. settle your quarrel if you don’t want to file divorce and want his support to provide you with documents.

2. File the divorce petition and update IRCC with STAMPED court documents proving your petition is filed and in the affidavit mention that you both have agreed not to be together and will never sponsor him in future as you have filed for divorce . These 2 documents are enough to exclude his documents from your application . Sample of affidavit is on this thread if you go back few pages.

what makes you feel secure being with someone taking advantage of your weaknesses and still not wanting to file mutual divorce ?
Help yourself and take the right decision to have a peaceful future
Good luck

Last edited:

Shrina04

Aug 9, 2019
Hi
Was your ITA approved as a single applicant or joint with your partner.

If you got your ITA as single applicant then this is what you need. Documents are non negotiable
Affidavit of separation ( your declaration)
Divorce application filed (to support as legal proof for your declaration)

there is a sample of affidavit on this thread that I have used too so go back and refer to it. Affidavit of separation is not important if you have a proof of divorce application filed.
don’t look for that 1 person in a thousand who got PR just with affidavit of separation. That was just clerical error and will not happen with everyone.

if you got your ITA with your partner being involved and his points made all the difference then either you find a way to work it out or forget about that ITA and apply individual with the 2 important documents above . The moment you mention seperated in your apppication, they will want a legal proof to see that your are serious about separation and not doing it just to get more points individually and then sponsor your partner in future.
all application with ONLY affidavit will get stuck at proof stage and delay your process until YOU GIVE A COPY OF FILING A DIVORCE APPLICATION.

consider this - if your relationship is going thru tuff time and you want to apply for PR before solving your personal life then there is always a possibility that your partner will back off from the process and cause you trouble and delay.

Hi can you please upload the template.im unable to find it in the thread.