Advise on Spouse Sponsorship

yengyeng

Jul 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Feb/March 2017
Hello Experts,

Please i need your advise on Spouse Sponsorship for PR/Work Permit. I am a Permanent Resident of Canada I am planning on getting married to my girlfriend back home in December and would want her to migrate to Canada as soon as possible.

What is the best option to go about this? Someone advise applying for a visitor visa now and change it to a work permit when she comes to Canada after getting married.

Your suggestion or advise will be greatly appreciated as i want to begin the planning now. Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If she's able to get a visitor visa, then you can sponsor her inland and include an open work permit.

If she's not able to get a visitor visa, then you will have to return on your own to Canada and sponsor her outland. You'll need to remain in Canada while the application is processed.

It all hinges on whether she is able to secure a visitor visa or not.

yengyeng

Jul 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Feb/March 2017
If she's able to get a visitor visa, then you can sponsor her inland and include an open work permit.

If she's not able to get a visitor visa, then you will have to return on your own to Canada and sponsor her outland. You'll need to remain in Canada while the application is processed.

Hi Scylla,

Thank you so much for your response. I am planning on applying for a visitor visa for her as my "girlfriend" but we are getting married in December. So, i will be going back home to do the registry and traditional wedding. Do you think its worth applying now or wait till i get married?

GReaper

Aug 9, 2017

Who will need to remain in Canada while the application is being processed? As far as I know it the "applicant" is advised to remain in their homeland. As for the Sponsor he/she is able to go in and out of Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Who will need to remain in Canada while the application is being processed? As far as I know it the "applicant" is advised to remain in their homeland. As for the Sponsor he/she is able to go in and out of Canada.
Nope.

Sponsor needs to remain in Canada in this case because the sponsor is a PR. Short trips (2-3 weeks) outside of Canada are fine. However anything longer - or frequent trips where more time is spent outside of Canada than in - risks the application being refused. Canadian citizens are free to be outside of Canada while sponsoring. PRs are not - they must be living in Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
What is the best option to go about this? Someone advise applying for a visitor visa now and change it to a work permit when she comes to Canada after getting married.
Getting married doesn't qualify her for a work visa. After getting married you will need to put together an INSIDE CANADA app to sponsor her for PR, and you can include an Open Work Permit app along with the PR app. If all done correctly, she would get the OWP approx 3-4 months later.

If she is unable to get a TRV so they do an OUTSIDE CANADA application, the PR sponsor must be living in Canada for duration of app processing. Sponsor can leave for short/temporary vacations only while app is in progress. If IRCC feels PR sponsor has left Canada long enough to no longer be resident here, they can cancel the app.

Only Canadian Citizen sponsors have freedom to live anywhere in the world while sponsoring a spouse.

Reactions: GReaper

GReaper

Aug 9, 2017
Nope.

Sponsor needs to remain in Canada in this case because the sponsor is a PR. Short trips (2-3 weeks) outside of Canada are fine. However anything longer - or frequent trips where more time is spent outside of Canada than in - risks the application being refused. Canadian citizens are free to be outside of Canada while sponsoring. PRs are not - they must be living in Canada.
Oh ok I got you. Yes that's true.

GReaper

Aug 9, 2017
Getting married doesn't qualify her for a work visa. After getting married you will need to put together an INSIDE CANADA app to sponsor her for PR, and you can include an Open Work Permit app along with the PR app. If all done correctly, she would get the OWP approx 3-4 months later.

If she is unable to get a TRV so they do an OUTSIDE CANADA application, the PR sponsor must be living in Canada for duration of app processing. Sponsor can leave for short/temporary vacations only while app is in progress. If IRCC feels PR sponsor has left Canada long enough to no longer be resident here, they can cancel the app.

Only Canadian Citizen sponsors have freedom to live anywhere in the world while sponsoring a spouse.
Yes didn't realize we were talking about a PR sponsor here.

yengyeng

Jul 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Feb/March 2017
Hi All,

Thank you for your contributions. We will see how the TRV application turns out and go from there.

I appreciate your thoughts and contributions once again.