+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ADVISE ON SPOUSAL VISA

Fahad108

May 5, 2023
Visa Office......
UAE
Hi, My TRV for Student Visa was approved recently. I will be studying for my master's in Ontario starting this Fall 2023. I have a question, as I got married a few days ago and would like to bring my spouse along with me. However, she is studying for her final semester and will be complete in January 2023 (she is doing Bachelors's in Speech Therapy) and she is a resident of Pakistan. Now my question is, what visa category should I apply for her once she completes her undergraduate studies?

We have the option to apply for her master's, but I think that would be a long process. There is an option to apply for a TRV Visitor visa but I am not sure how successful that would be also I am confused if one of the requirements for the Visitor visa is that she is supposed to have a job in Pakistan.

To add, I know I can not sponsor her visa since I am not a Citizen and a PR holder of Canada. Also, share more available options.

Also, note that my brother is a PR holder in Canada (I don't know if this will be helpful).

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, My TRV for Student Visa was approved recently. I will be studying for my master's in Ontario starting this Fall 2023. I have a question, as I got married a few days ago and would like to bring my spouse along with me. However, she is studying for her final semester and will be complete in January 2023 (she is doing Bachelors's in Speech Therapy) and she is a resident of Pakistan. Now my question is, what visa category should I apply for her once she completes her undergraduate studies?

We have the option to apply for her master's, but I think that would be a long process. There is an option to apply for a TRV Visitor visa but I am not sure how successful that would be also I am confused if one of the requirements for the Visitor visa is that she is supposed to have a job in Pakistan.

To add, I know I can not sponsor her visa since I am not a Citizen and a PR holder of Canada. Also, share more available options.

Also, note that my brother is a PR holder in Canada (I don't know if this will be helpful).

Thanks!
Open work permit is the best option.

Reactions: Fahad108

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thanks!
Agree that OWP is the best option. A TRV is likely to be denied unless you can show she is only planning on taking a short trip to visit you in Canada and not live in Canada. You will need to show that you have the extra funds to support another person in Canada. The fact that you married after securing a study permit and right before moving to Canada may lead to difficulties securing an OWP at least initially. Assume you likely have not spent a lot of time together in person before marriage (Western style dating, travelling together, living together, etc.). The fact that you are studying for a more advanced degree is positive. Masters and PhD students are usually genuine students and not just studying to secure immigration and tend to be able to secure OWP more easily than those applying for other degrees. Processing time for an OWP is quite lengthy so it will be around 6 months until you hear about the results of the application. Was this an arranged marriage? Do you have a long dating history where you have attended events as a couple for example? If you had you own home (which would be abnormal culturally) did your spouse move in with you? Has she moved into your parent’s home and will she be living with them while you are living in Canada? These types of things and an update during processing for example if you return to Pakistan during the holiday period, if you have examples of transferring money to each other, if you have sent each other gifts, etc. it will help prove that this is a genuine relationship and not based on immigration.

Fahad108

May 5, 2023
Visa Office......
UAE
Agree that OWP is the best option. A TRV is likely to be denied unless you can show she is only planning on taking a short trip to visit you in Canada and not live in Canada. You will need to show that you have the extra funds to support another person in Canada. The fact that you married after securing a study permit and right before moving to Canada may lead to difficulties securing an OWP at least initially. Assume you likely have not spent a lot of time together in person before marriage (Western style dating, travelling together, living together, etc.). The fact that you are studying for a more advanced degree is positive. Masters and PhD students are usually genuine students and not just studying to secure immigration and tend to be able to secure OWP more easily than those applying for other degrees. Processing time for an OWP is quite lengthy so it will be around 6 months until you hear about the results of the application. Was this an arranged marriage? Do you have a long dating history where you have attended events as a couple for example? If you had you own home (which would be abnormal culturally) did your spouse move in with you? Has she moved into your parent’s home and will she be living with them while you are living in Canada? These types of things and an update during processing for example if you return to Pakistan during the holiday period, if you have examples of transferring money to each other, if you have sent each other gifts, etc. it will help prove that this is a genuine relationship and not based on immigration.
Your assumption was on point. This was an arranged marriage so we haven't spent much time together. We have barely spent 2 weeks together plus she has not moved into our house yet. However, I can make payments to her bank account if needed that won't be an issue. My original plan for her was to move in with me to Qatar, but during the process I got my student visa approved for Canada and now there is a change in plan.

So, my best bet is OWP and we are talking about the "Open work permits for your family members" correct?

If I am correct, to be eligible for OWP would require me to have a work permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your assumption was on point. This was an arranged marriage so we haven't spent much time together. We have barely spent 2 weeks together plus she has not moved into our house yet. However, I can make payments to her bank account if needed that won't be an issue. My original plan for her was to move in with me to Qatar, but during the process I got my student visa approved for Canada and now there is a change in plan.

You also qualify to apply for an OWP as the spouse of an international student. Impossible to know how IRCC will react to your minimal time spent together. Have seen some couples get approved while other get denied the first time but get approved the second time they apply.

So, my best bet is OWP and we are talking about the "Open work permits for your family members" correct?

If I am correct, to be eligible for OWP would require me to have a work permit?
A spouse of an international student qualifies to apply for an OWP. Impossible to say how IRCC will react to your lack of in person time. Seen some couples get approved, others get denied but get approved the second time and others have to wait until PGWP to get approved. Given your lack of time together would try to include other proof that you are in a genuine relationship not based on immigration.

Fahad108

May 5, 2023
Visa Office......
UAE
A spouse of an international student qualifies to apply for an OWP. Impossible to say how IRCC will react to your lack of in person time. Seen some couples get approved, others get denied but get approved the second time and others have to wait until PGWP to get approved. Given your lack of time together would try to include other proof that you are in a genuine relationship not based on immigration.
Yes, I mean our wedding was arranged plus it is a talk of yesterday. Anyway, I will keep you posted while I am making my application.

I appreciate your suggestion. Thanks a bunch ❤.