+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice Required

ashraf1988

Apr 18, 2017
My family want to move to Canada:

I am married with 1 child < 1 yrs old. I am applying through Express Entry.

My sister is going to study in Canada soon. She has already got several offers.

My mother is 48 years old. Her highest level of completed education is Secondary School (Middle School). She’s an entrepreneur for 20+ years, owning her own private company.

She wants to move with me and legally work in Canada.

How can she do so?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's unlikely your mother will be able to move with you when you move and legally work in Canada.

If your mother wishes to immigrate to Canada and become PR, she will either have to qualify for PR on her own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry or be sponsored by you for PR once you yourself have PR and have lived in Canada for a number of years. Given she is in her late forties and her highest level of education is secondary school, it will likely be extremely difficult for her to qualify for PR on her own. In order for you to sponsor her for PR, you'll need to wait until you have PR and have moved to Canada. Then you'll need to work in Canada for at least three years in a job that meets the income requirements to sponsor your mother before you can apply to bring her here. So it's quite a long path.

If she wants to instead work in Canada temporarily, she will need to secure a job offer in Canada first and her employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA. Once she has the job offer and approved LMIA, she will be able to apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

Reactions: aankushrawat

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ashraf1988 said:
Will she be able to study a a short course in Canada and work as part-time?
It will likely be difficult to do that.

She would need to have a study permit and take a full time course that's at least eight months in length to qualify to work.

However the bigger challenge will be proving she is a genuine student. To be approved for the study permit, she will need to show that she really is a genuine student and has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. If CIC thinks she is using the study permit as a way of trying to move to Canada - her study permit will be refused. To prove she is a genuine student, the studies she plans to take in Canada will have to make sense in light of her previous education and work experience. This may be quite difficult to prove in her case since she has only completed a secondary school level of education and has been out of school for such a long time. CIC will be wondering why she all of a sudden feels she needs to complete additional education and why she has to go all the way to Canada to do this. To be approved, she will also have to show she has strong ties to her home country. If both you and your sister have ties to Canada - you should expect it will be quite difficult for your mother to demonstrate ties to her home country and it's quite likely CIC will be concerned she's not a genuine student.

Last but not least, she will need to demonstrate she can pay for her studies in Canada. This means demonstrating a bank balance of $25K or more of funds available to support her studies.