stpham97

Oct 23, 2016
Ratings: +0

LIFE ADVICE pls?! International student looking to transfer
« on: November 01, 2016, 02:23:59 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote Remove messageRemove
Hi guys,

Right now I have 2 scenarios for my future, which are:

1. Transfer to a university in Canada (preferably Manitoba), get a bachelor's, get a PGWP and work as a baker (NOC type B) for one year, hopefully I will have a better shot at immigrating to Canada. I will be qualified to apply to MPNP 3 years from now

2. Finish my bachelor's in the United States (I'm a sophomore), then apply for culinary arts school (some 2 year program) in Canada. After that, I can get a PGWP to work as a baker. I will be qualified to apply at least 5 years from now.

The thing is, I really like my current college in the US. I'm afraid that leaving it will not be beneficial to my well being. On the other hand, I really like Canada for its straightforward immigration progress, unlike the US who has been anti-immigration all along :mad:. With the next election coming to an end, I don't know if the US is still the optimal choice. Even if Hillary gets elected, I doubt that immigration is gonna be made easier for international students like me (from Vietnam). :(

I'm kinda leaning on option 2. However, I know that being a baker does not even need a culinary arts diploma, so I'll be fine with a bachelors and some current part-time work in my college's bakery. Also, option 2 mean it'll take more time till I can actually get on the applications. I'm afraid that requirements then will be two stringent then and Canada is going to tighten immigration (Do you think it'll happen? Am I too paranoid about this?)

Seriously, I just want to be in Canada but there are so many things/people that I love here at my US college. DO you think I should let go?

stpham97

Oct 23, 2016
Ok to clarify:

1. More risk taking but sooner. Risks include not all credits transfer, job as a baker will not be in demand, etc

2. Safer to a certain extent as I can hone my skills in the bakery while I'm still in school. Staying at my US college gives me a more comfortable feeling than getting out of my comfort zone. Once out of college, I can apply to culinary arts school in Canada. Maybe after I can even get a job as a cook, which supposedly is a more-in-demand career. However, it will take a long time. Basically, I'm just scared that Canada will tighten its policies any day, even if it's just 5 years from now.

What do you guys think?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't think any of us can really advise you long term since we have no idea what CIC may do in the future.

Immigration program criteria change regularly - so what it takes to qualify now may not be the same as what it takes in a few years. It's possible Canada may tighten immigration policies some day or it's quite possible it may not.

Transfer credits vary - you may get some or you may get none.

I think the reason why you're not getting answers is because none of us can answer your questions since they are future looking and this is really a decision you need to make on your own based on the information you have available to you today.

Good luck.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
For 2017, the immigration target is 300000, which is higher than 2016. May or may not change in 2018 but if the economy doesn't pick up, added immigration will only put a burden on the state exchequer so in 19 & 20 the numbers may come down. We will also be approaching an election year and unemployed immigrants may not go down well with the campaign.

No perfect answer ; weigh the pros and cons and decide.

stpham97

Oct 23, 2016
@akbardxb @scylla

Thank you both very much! I guess I was overreacting a little bit.

I guess you guys are right. It's better to just wait and not jump on anything right now. Seems like things are looking up. However, that could change in 2019.

Looking at the comments in that article makes me think, "well I've seen such comments here in the US ;)You guys are everywhere." Such privileged dillweeds ::)