+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice on try to activate Work permit at border

under_pressure

Oct 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I'm applying for a Work Permit under Canada-Chile free trade agreement inside Canada but I'm on 12th week with any news.

My future employer is starting to worry and putting me some pressure because they need me for yesterday... And they can't wait for a couple of months more. My consultant told me the other option is go to the border, with all the papers of course, and try to activate it there but this of course has some risks because is all in official discretion to make a decision.

My question is, or more than a question I would like an advice, is so risky try to do this movement? 50/50 probabilities? Some one did this activation under a FTA? What do you think?

Thank you very much in advance

stagmore

May 21, 2016
Hello under_pressure

First of all when it comes to getting any sort of visa in Canada or in fact in any part of the world, nothing is certain. Now whether or not going to border to activate WP, it completely depends on how strong your case as well as your paperwork is to justify what your are asking for. I mean if things are pretty straight forward and you are confident about your case, you can take a call. However if you feel that there are certain angles you are not sure or you may not be able to satisfy the visa officer, I would say, do your homework to attain a level to be confident enough and then you wouldn't need to ask this question anymore.

Hope this help!

under_pressure

Oct 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, thank you very much for your answer, you are so kind.

I think my application is strong, I studied and analyzed the best I could the points and conditions, also my consultant agreed in try this application because at first we thought in a LMIA but it was quite more complicated, specially for the employer, so after we analyzed the FTA we decided this could be a bit effortless and time wise (in theory...) since my profession, work experience back and the job position I will do here was under the agreement. But, I don have experience with any border ask...

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
I am not familiar with the "activation" of work permit but my husband applied tonight for his SOWP at the Peace Arch Border and was issued 3 years Open Work Permit.. same validity as my PGWP! :D :D :D SOO HAPPY!!!

under_pressure

Oct 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi thank you, so he did that because he didn't want to make the complete application and wait...?

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
under_pressure said:
Hi thank you, so he did that because he doesn't wanted to make the complete application and wait...?
We live about an hour and a half away from the border. This is the fastest. We did not want to wait and be pressured by online applications. The officer was nice enough to issue the permit with 3 yrs validity however there was a remark at the bottom which indicates "Spouse must be employed in a skilled work" which is not a huge problem since they wont approve it anyway if I was not employed in a NOC 0, A or B job.

Kvalderrama

Jan 18, 2019
Hi, I'm applying for a Work Permit under Canada-Chile free trade agreement inside Canada but I'm on 12th week with any news.

My future employer is starting to worry and putting me some pressure because they need me for yesterday... And they can't wait for a couple of months more. My consultant told me the other option is go to the border, with all the papers of course, and try to activate it there but this of course has some risks because is all in official discretion to make a decision.

My question is, or more than a question I would like an advice, is so risky try to do this movement? 50/50 probabilities? Some one did this activation under a FTA? What do you think?

Thank you very much in advance
Hola! Ha pasado harto tpo desde este post, pdro estoy en una condición similar y me gustaría saber cómo lo hiciste al final. Gracias!