Advice on Masters Stream and Funding

chopsumbongw

Aug 31, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Guys,

I had worked out my plan to pursue my master's degree in Canada and work on my PR during the PGWP period. It was clear and simple.

With the recent overhaul of the immigration process I've begun to doubt everything.

I have a degree in Bachelors of Engineering (IT) from a reputed University in India. I was born and raised in the middle east and left india as soon as I completed my course.
Since then (3 years) I have been working in the Middle East in a stable job as a Senior Software Engineer. My company being a startup and I the first employee I have juggled severals roles from developer, project lead, project management (offshore and local) and client servicing too.

I had decided on an MBA in IT or Operations but now I'm not sure if it wiser to get an MBA or a M Engg / MSc. From what I understand there is still a bit of demand for IT professionals.

I've looked at courses like
1) Master of Technology Entrepreneurship & Innovation at Sobey School of Business (Halifax)
2) M.Sc. in Computing & Data Analytics at Saint Mary's University (Halifax)
3) M.Eng. in Technology Innovation Management (TIM) at Carleton University (Ottawa)
4) MBA Business Analytics at Sprott School of Business (Ottawa)

All of the above stem from my different interests and are within my financial reach.
By next year I should have saved up around CAD 40,000 which would cover the tuitions fees and then some. My family would support me for all the additional expenses.

Q1) Can you advise if there is any benefit with an IT based course or would a MBA be just as good?
Q2 ) When I have to show my funds before I join a program would I need to show just the complete tuition fees or complete tuition fees + living expenses?

I am aware that even with the most meticulous planning it does not guarantee a PR but I would like to give it my best shot.
Worse case scenario I could always return to the middle east with a North American Masters and Work Experience too. That could be worth my effort in itself.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and giving me your opinion.

All the Best

Austin

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Q1) Can you advise if there is any benefit with an IT based course or would a MBA be just as good?
to tell u the truth if u have a good job in middle east with good pay dont quit ur job and come to canada. life is getting tougher here. Students are at a disadvantage. This is just my personal opinion after all the decision is urs.
Q2 ) When I have to show my funds before I join a program would I need to show just the complete tuition fees or complete tuition fees + living expenses?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how-documents.asp#doc3

chopsumbongw

Aug 31, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Mead,

Thank you for your response.

Firstly I have two reasons to want to come to Canada. I want to pursue a Master's degree in a recognized school. Here in the middle east the options are limited and they aren't ranked. Secondly aside from the stable job and tax free income, I would never be eligible for citizenship here despite the 27 years I've lived here.

Though the country I live in is quite liberal for which I am grateful, I am still treated as a second rate expat. I would like to live in a country where this segregation is minimal and I evaluated based on my effort and merits, not my skin tone. It would be nice to live in a place where they celebrate the same festivals as I do like Christmas and Easter.

The same reason why I prefer Canada to Australia even though I have more family and support in Australia.

Perhaps I am an idealist and I should realign myself to the practical world. But you can blame a lad for trying. :)

chopsumbongw

Aug 31, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

I still have one query if you could clarify.

Regards,
Austin

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chopsumbongw said:
Hey Guys,

I had worked out my plan to pursue my master's degree in Canada and work on my PR during the PGWP period. It was clear and simple.

With the recent overhaul of the immigration process I've begun to doubt everything.

I have a degree in Bachelors of Engineering (IT) from a reputed University in India. I was born and raised in the middle east and left india as soon as I completed my course.
Since then (3 years) I have been working in the Middle East in a stable job as a Senior Software Engineer. My company being a startup and I the first employee I have juggled severals roles from developer, project lead, project management (offshore and local) and client servicing too.

I had decided on an MBA in IT or Operations but now I'm not sure if it wiser to get an MBA or a M Engg / MSc. From what I understand there is still a bit of demand for IT professionals.

I've looked at courses like
1) Master of Technology Entrepreneurship & Innovation at Sobey School of Business (Halifax)
2) M.Sc. in Computing & Data Analytics at Saint Mary's University (Halifax)
3) M.Eng. in Technology Innovation Management (TIM) at Carleton University (Ottawa)
4) MBA Business Analytics at Sprott School of Business (Ottawa)

All of the above stem from my different interests and are within my financial reach.
By next year I should have saved up around CAD 40,000 which would cover the tuitions fees and then some. My family would support me for all the additional expenses.

I am aware that even with the most meticulous planning it does not guarantee a PR but I would like to give it my best shot.
Worse case scenario I could always return to the middle east with a North American Masters and Work Experience too. That could be worth my effort in itself.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and giving me your opinion.

All the Best

Austin
If you think about pr in Canada with your IT education background & IT career, i dont recommend that... Because IT education system in Canada is sucks. Even they cant rank as compared to other countries like Finland, USA, Japan, S.Korea, signore, etc. The other reason is that there are not many job opportunities in IT area. All my friends moved to USA after graduation. U are better to search USA universities & USA companies. However, if you want to change your career as a nurse, chef, caregivers and construction engineers, there are some hope to apply your immigration in Canada. The reason why Canadians hate working for these jobs... They hate cooking, caring child and old people, etc.

chopsumbongw

Aug 31, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Up until now I have heard the IT opportunities were fair in Canada.

I was primarily looking at Management roles in IT companies. I understand that USA would be a better option but immigration is a whole different story and vague at best.

Would a more general stream better my chances say an MBA in operations or the likes??