+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice on a few things for sponsorship of my Thai wife

Feb 22, 2018
Edmonton
Hello all. I'm new here but have come across this forum a few times through Google search.

Anyways so my situation is as follows.

My Thai wife and I just got married. We've finished up most of the paperwork for permanent resident, but the thing that has caused us a headache is when it asks about dependents.
My wife has a son. But she doesn't have custody and had no plans to bring her son to Canada.
She doesn't have any contact with her ex husband because he's still not over their divorce after 5 years and don't think he would cooperate with us much.
The one section in under "supporting documents for sponsored person" it asks for
"Birth certificates or baptismal certificates for you and all dependents, if applicable, whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not".

Well she doesn't know if she would be able to talk her ex husband into giving her their sons birth certificate. So what can we do in this situation? Had anyone else encountered this sort of situation?

Thanks in advance for anyone who has advice on this.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello all. I'm new here but have come across this forum a few times through Google search.

My Thai wife and I just got married. We've finished up most of the paperwork for permanent resident, but the thing that has caused us a headache is when it asks about dependents.
My wife has a son. But she doesn't have custody and had no plans to bring her son to Canada.
She doesn't have any contact with her ex husband because he's still not over their divorce after 5 years and don't think he would cooperate with us much.
The one section in under "supporting documents for sponsored person" it asks for
"Birth certificates or baptismal certificates for you and all dependents, if applicable, whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not".

Well she doesn't know if she would be able to talk her ex husband into giving her their sons birth certificate. So what can we do in this situation? Had anyone else encountered this sort of situation?

If the ex-husband has court-ordered sole custody, then she must include the dependant as non-accompanying and provide an explanation of the situation in a separate sheet of paper with the details of the application form number and question number. Court documents proving no custody or access to the child will be required to support this.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Hi

This is a common enough situation.

All dependents must be included in the app and undergo a medical. IRCC understands that this is not possible in some situations. If your wife's ex has legal custody and will not allow the child to have a medical, he will need to be excluded from the app. Your wife will need to get a notarized declaration stating that she understands that the child will be excluded from the Family Class and she will never be able to sponsor him. She should show proof that she has tried to have the child medically examined, i.e. contact with the father requesting the medical.

Feb 22, 2018
Edmonton
Thank you all for the reply. I contacted CIC and they informed me that she just needs to write a letter saying that she revokes any future right to sponsor her son. And that she has no way of getting a medical exam for her son.

It was a relief talking to them and finding out that. I was worried that this would cause issues or delays with our application. Thankfully that's not the case.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you all for the reply. I contacted CIC and they informed me that she just needs to write a letter saying that she revokes any future right to sponsor her son. And that she has no way of getting a medical exam for her son.

It was a relief talking to them and finding out that. I was worried that this would cause issues or delays with our application. Thankfully that's not the case.
The Call Centre staff are not visa officers. An excluded child does normally delay the app, as IRCC does not like excluding children. There is a good chance that the VO processing your app will still request the child's medical and want further proof.

Feb 22, 2018
Edmonton
The Call Centre staff are not visa officers. An excluded child does normally delay the app, as IRCC does not like excluding children. There is a good chance that the VO processing your app will still request the child's medical and want further proof.
Ok so we are willing to try contact him and get proof, but he doesn't speak or write a word of English. I'm assuming the proof would have to be translated to English.