+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice needed

shadow

Jan 24, 2006
Canada
Help I think my husband and I are really screwed!!!!!! He and his daughter are here in Canada Citizens of the UK they have been here for 5mths and we have not had the funds to apply for immigration. I have been working supporting the four of us but recently lost my job. I am applying for ei is this going to have an effect as to whether or not I can sponsor them.

I know you may be thinking we didn't go about this in the proper way, after we were married they returned to the uk and the plan was to start the process at that time. Unfortunately both he and I were single parents and never seemed to be able to come up with the money to send the application in. Since they have been in the country for 5mths now as visitors I understand we must apply for an extension in order for them to remain legally in Canada and proceed with obtaining PRS. It would be devestating for all of us if they were forced to return to the UK. Is this a possibility? We are currently trying every avenue we can think of to get the funds together!!!!

Any info would really be appreciated.
Thanks

BCbound

Star Member
Jan 4, 2005
As a spouse, your ability to support them doesn't come into the equation. So having lost your job doesn't affect things.

I understand there is also a scheme under why money can be loaned for the application costs.

However you have to be realistic about your situation I think. Even if you sent in your sponsorship and their PR application today, it will take 6-9 months before they would be approved. They cannot legally work in Canada during that time. So how are you all going to eat? They do not qualify to claim any kind of benefits in Canada. You may be receiving Unemployment pay but that won't go far. I'm also not sure what will happen when they apply for a visa extension. They may be asked to prove they have funds to live on. The concern would be that they intend to work illegally. So the extension may be refused.

Other than all these issues however I think the reality is that you may have to accept that trying to stay together without some money behind you or both of you working is just not a good idea. If your husband was back in the UK working and saving and you were doing the same in Canada, that would probably be the quickest way to get out of the hole.

shadow

Jan 24, 2006
Canada
thanks BC I appreciate your input.

I am determined to find a way to work this out without having them have to leave Canada. So I guess I will continue to plow through it.

Again thanks

Bruninhashind

Apr 16, 2013
Fbi certificate

Hi folks! My husband and I applied for my sponsorship 6 months ago and it seems like I will need a FBI certificate once I have lived in the USA before! But at the time I sent my application I didn't know! Does anybody know how long it takes and how to apply for one ?

DuberBlue

Sep 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
AOR Received.
13-03-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2013
LANDED..........
26-10-2013
Hi there,

Getting an FBI clearance letter takes, on average, about 6 weeks. You need to send them fingerprints on the appropriate form (form FD-258) along with the application form and payment.

Full details can be found here.