+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice Needed - Calgary

ladygeneral

Sep 21, 2010
Dear all,

I have just joined this forum. I am a Singaporean, married with a 4 year old son. I do not support the educational system in Singapore and will like to migrate to Canada - Calgary. I am currently a registered nurse and studying for a Phd on a part-time basis. My husband is a lecturer on a bond that will end in 3 years time. By that time, my son will be almost 7 and we hope that we would be in Calgary around that time.

I will like to find out roughly when I should start applying for skilled worker visa? I mean roughly how long will the entire process take?

Secondly, is it tough looking for nursing or counselling work at Calgary?

Kindly help and advise. Thanks in advance.

tran

May 10, 2009
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/singaporean-applicants-under-fsw-t24280.420.html

As a registered nurse, it is easy to get a PR; especially under provincial nominee program.
You, as the principal applicant, and your husband as the dependent.

jeby

Jan 19, 2010
Kerala, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
15-12-2009
Med's Done....
11-01-2010
Passport Req..
15-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2010
Dear Ladygeneral,

Apply for PR as early as possible. Rules may change at any time. As posted by Tran, it is easy now, but there is no guarantee that, it will remain same in future....

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Yes, u should apply asap, u can opt for FSW or provinical nominee program, PNP program is very much faster, in provinces such as Manitoba, Saskatchewan, it takes less than 1 yrs to get yr PR if u apply as a nurse. There is a serious shortage of qualified nurses in these provinces and Canada in general.

U can apply and get here with yr son first and yr husband follow later, cause u will still need to be re-trained to be employed as a qualified nurse here in Canada even though u r qualified in SG.

Tran, Mediajunkie and myself are SGeans initially, so u can write us or approach us should u need further advice.

Tran is in Alberta, Mediajunkie in Ontario and myself in Saskatchewan.

Gaurav dhiman

Oct 1, 2010
hey..
i need to know about the loan requirement for spp in canada. I have done IELTS with 7 band and have received offer letter from douglas college under associate degree of science (engineering) course. i am going to pay 2 semester fee.
my agent has told me 10 lakh loan is enough and i can also include my 5 lakh fee in it. is that correct?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ladygeneral said:
I will like to find out roughly when I should start applying for skilled worker visa? I mean roughly how long will the entire process take?
Nurses are in shortage in Canada and have been for several years. For the provincial nominee program, you would need a job offer but you can apply under the skilled worker program without one as nurses are one of the needed categories. I would figure in around 1 year for processing. You can take your time, prepare your application and then apply. By the time you get your PR visa, you have some months before it expires so you would need to go to Canada to land as a PR before it expires. Then you can return to your homeland for your husband to finish his contract. As a PR, you can stay outside Canada for up to 3 years in any 5 year period so you will have plenty of time for him to finish up and move.

There is a question about the newly introduced caps under the skilled worker program where each occupation is limited to a cap of 1,000. As I recently found out for a physician who was asking about the caps, the total number of health care workers under skill level A, that is combined physicians, nurses, physical and occupational therapists, pharmacists, dentists etc. was around 4,000 last year so I think it is unlikely that the cap for nurses will fill up very fast. The counter is reset again on July 1st 2011 but if you wait that long to apply, it is possible that nurses will not be in the list any more which means that you would need a job offer.