+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice for Reapplying for Study Permit

MattFS218

Apr 2, 2016
A friend is trying to get a study permit to Canada to study at a 92-week Sales/Marketing Diploma course with a Co-op. She is from Thailand and has a Masters Degree. She currently has a valid Canada TRV and a US NIV (10-years).

Her GCMS notes say the following

Applicant failed to provide past ten years of employment/activity, despite declaring that application was completed fully and truthfully. In the absence of this information, I am not satisfied that applicant is not inadmissible. refused, A16

PA has not provided any documentary evidence of her employment or of her previous studies.
The one job she had was disclosed on the application, and she put her "highest degree" in the education section. I assume she should be adding her bachelors degree, and providing a complete timeline for the past 10-years (including an unemployed-gap year). On her refused application she submitted an employment letter and a transcript from her masters degree. Unsure why the officer either didn't see it or didn't accept it as "documentary evidence". Should the tone of her reapplication attempt to correct the last officer, or is it preferable to simply submit everything again, and ignore the note?

PA states she completed a Masters degree in 2016. It is not logical to take further studies at the lower level PA is applying for. No study plan/reasonable explanation of realistic potential benefit of proposed study at this level that would realistically compensate the cost of studying in Canada, considering comparable programs in home country/region.
This part of the note is a little more tricky. There is a duel-purpose to wishing to study in Canada. 1) is to further her English and customer service for western markets (the program has a co-op portion). 2) is because she has friends that live in Vancouver, and enjoys snowboarding. This was stated in the cover letter. Are study permits refused if there are secondary reasons for wishing to study in Canada? She was booked on a flight to Canada on March 18, 2020 and was denied boarding because Canada implemented travel restrictions on March 16, 2020. Is bringing this up useful?

I am not satisfied applicant's plan of study makes sense or that applicant intends to be BF temp res. Refused.
I assume BF in this context means bona-fide temp resident.

Thanks in advance.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
A friend is trying to get a study permit to Canada to study at a 92-week Sales/Marketing Diploma course with a Co-op. She is from Thailand and has a Masters Degree. She currently has a valid Canada TRV and a US NIV (10-years).

The one job she had was disclosed on the application, and she put her "highest degree" in the education section. I assume she should be adding her bachelors degree, and providing a complete timeline for the past 10-years (including an unemployed-gap year). On her refused application she submitted an employment letter and a transcript from her masters degree. Unsure why the officer either didn't see it or didn't accept it as "documentary evidence". Should the tone of her reapplication attempt to correct the last officer, or is it preferable to simply submit everything again, and ignore the note?

This part of the note is a little more tricky. There is a duel-purpose to wishing to study in Canada. 1) is to further her English and customer service for western markets (the program has a co-op portion). 2) is because she has friends that live in Vancouver, and enjoys snowboarding. This was stated in the cover letter. Are study permits refused if there are secondary reasons for wishing to study in Canada? She was booked on a flight to Canada on March 18, 2020 and was denied boarding because Canada implemented travel restrictions on March 16, 2020. Is bringing this up useful?

Thanks in advance.
Why does she need to go all the way to Canada to do a marketing diploma. The visa officer is correct. It doesn't seem logical and highly suspicious to spend that much money compared to what she has already or can do in her own country.

She also did not fully declare her activities, perhaps to hide something? Or not truthful at all.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like your friend is more interested in a vacation than studying. Your friend's application is pretty much full of red flags such as a Master's graduate taking a diploma program, her interests in snowboarding (what exactly does this have to do with her education plan). Besides that, the application itself seems to have been poorly compiled. The visa officer wants to see evidence of what the applicant has been up to for the last 10 years of their life as stated in your post. They will need official transcripts, proof of graduation, and more. For employment, payslips, letter of employment, and a whole lot more. She also has to justify why she is coming to Canada when she could easily be taking this program in her come country at a fraction of the price since she's not exactly attending the University of Toronto or UBC.

Reactions: Naturgrl

MattFS218

Apr 2, 2016
Thanks, I was able to fully comprehend what the GCMS notes were saying. I had a few pointed questions, do either of you have answers to those?

She has traveled to Canada & the USA and exited over 15+ times in the past 2-5 years. She has significant assets for a person her age. One of the reasons she is applying is because of the covid-19 restrictions that prevent her from using her valid Canada TRV.

The reasons she wants to Study in Canada is
  1. friends in Canada
  2. wants to improve her French
  3. enjoys snowboarding
  4. this course is actually cheaper than courses in Thailand/south east asia
my main concern is that the duel purpose appeared to be justification for a denial? and how can this be phrased in the cover letter without throwing up red flags. thanks.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Thanks, I was able to fully comprehend what the GCMS notes were saying. I had a few pointed questions, do either of you have answers to those?

She has traveled to Canada & the USA and exited over 15+ times in the past 2-5 years. She has significant assets for a person her age. One of the reasons she is applying is because of the covid-19 restrictions that prevent her from using her valid Canada TRV.

The reasons she wants to Study in Canada is
  1. friends in Canada
  2. wants to improve her French
  3. enjoys snowboarding
  4. this course is actually cheaper than courses in Thailand/south east asia
my main concern is that the duel purpose appeared to be justification for a denial? and how can this be phrased in the cover letter without throwing up red flags. thanks.
The visa officer would have noticed her travel history and might clue in on some ties she have in Canada and might be trying to use a study permit to stay longer than a tourist visa, or that she is using a study permit just to work in Canada. So the visa officer is doubtful whether she is actually a genuine student. The visa officer don't need a sop to know that.