+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice for "engineers" applying to Professional Engineers Ontario for P.Eng.

dp_aero

Feb 9, 2017
Hi ... I recently landed in Canada and would like to start my PEO Application.

I am a mechanical engineer with 10 year of experience (both are from India). While starting my application is it mandatory to provide curriculum details of each subject mentioned in my transcripts? As I have done completed my B.Tech quite sometime back, it is almost impossible for to obtain the curriculum details now. Does anyone in this group faced the same challenge? If so what will be the solution.

myat

Aug 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2011
LANDED..........
28-09-2015 Landed
Dear HeroHarman,

1)For APEGA or APEGBC, where do you plan to land? If you plan to land Alberta, better take with APEGA, or If you plan to land BC, pls take exam with APEGBC. But anywhere you can converted later. But take note one thing with APEGBC, for PPE exam, you have to answer Part-B for Essay type Q which APEGA, don't have.

2) yes you can become EIT, and if your degree is from Washington Accord's list, you only need to take PPE exam. They will waive FE. If not match with your job experience, you still can become EIT while you are doing your P.Eng and you need to seek experience related to your P.Eng. Good luck.

Best Regards,
Myat

HeroHarman said:
Hello all,

I have a four-year degree in Mechanical Engineering from South Asia. After that, I have done a two-year diploma in Automation/Instrumentation from Canada. I also have 2 years of Canadian work experience in Instrumentation/Controls/Automation field in which I am interested to continue working. I don't want to become EIT in MECHANICAL discipline. I reside in the beautiful province of British Columbia, so I am seeking to become EIT with either APEGBC or APEGA in the discipline of Instrumentation/Controls/Automation. So my questions as follow,

(1) Which is better? APEGA or APEGBC? and How?
(2) Can I become an EIT in the discipline of Instrumentation/Controls/Automation/Robotics/Mechatronics, even though my 4-year degree is in just Mechanical discipline which does not exactly match with the discipline I am seeking to pursue my career in?

Please, any advise.
Thanks,

I am fine with any of these disciplines(Instrumentation/Controls/Automation/Robotics/Mechatronics) to become an EIT.

jez.s009

Oct 22, 2015
You can apply to PEO without curriculum and make sure transcript is in sealed envelope from the university.
Also consider to apply to APEGA instead of PEO.Once you have P.Eng from APEGA you can easily transfer to PEO under mobility agreement.

Jez

dp_aero said:
Hi ... I recently landed in Canada and would like to start my PEO Application.

I am a mechanical engineer with 10 year of experience (both are from India). While starting my application is it mandatory to provide curriculum details of each subject mentioned in my transcripts? As I have done completed my B.Tech quite sometime back, it is almost impossible for to obtain the curriculum details now. Does anyone in this group faced the same challenge? If so what will be the solution.

divyalal

Feb 3, 2016
Hi,

I will be applying for APEGA soon. Is there anybody who has taken NPPE exam from outside Canada, if so, please share the details how you arranged for Proctor.

Thank you

Invicta

Star Member
Jul 1, 2016
Hello everyone,

If I choose to apply for EIT with APEGBC but end up getting a job in Ontario, is that going to make the licensing process difficult?
I did my bachelor's degree and master's degree all in the US, so I am a bit scared to go with PEO after hearing so many people had bad experiences with them.

rosellyalung

May 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LC1 application vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/08/2010
Hello Myat! are you done with the exams? do you have resources> my husband is doing exams too for electrical

myat

Aug 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2011
LANDED..........
28-09-2015 Landed
Hi rosellyalung,

I only pass Part-B (Essay Type) when I took exam last year september (with APEGBC, you have to take Essay Type Q). Now I am preparing to take ONLY part-A with APEGBC. Hope this time I can pass Part-A. I read two references books (Ethics and Law). Do you have any other study materials for P.Eng (Law and Ethics)? your husband register with APEGBC?

Best Regards,
Myat

rosellyalung said:
Hello Myat! are you done with the exams? do you have resources> my husband is doing exams too for electrical

ksvirk

Jul 29, 2014
Dear Experts
I am a mechanical engineer (BE from India and MS Engineering from UK) with about 11.5 years of experience (10 years in India and 1.5 years in UK). I am also a Chartered Engineer (CEng) from IMechE UK.
I got a Canada PR and planning to move to Canada (Ontario) in Sep 2017. My educational assessment was done by ICAS Canada as Masters Equivalent in 2015.
I am thinking to apply for PEng in Canada, and would appreciate if anyone could help me with the following queries:

1. Can I apply for PEng from India , before landing in Canada? if not, when can I apply or should apply?
2. Is 1 year of Canadian Experience is necessary if I plan to apply for PEO? If yes, does it mean I cannot apply for PEng until I work for 1 year in Canada?
3. What would be the process to get the PEng? Do I need to first apply for EIT or my qualifications or experiences are enough for me to directly apply for PEng? Do I have to appear for any exams (if yes which one?) or there will just be an interview?
4. How long this PEng process usually takes from the date of application?

Reactions: njay91

myat

Aug 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2011
LANDED..........
28-09-2015 Landed
Finally, I passed my PPE(Law and Ethics) exam with APEGBC. Now only left to submit working experience.

Regards,
Myat

Reactions: tobs

peoant

May 16, 2017
I wrote the exam and failed 2. Now I have a masters degree from a Canadian university. Does that qualify one for licence

kalyanckolli

Apr 21, 2017
Hi Friends,

Iam Kalyan Kolli Instrumentation professional with over 12 years of experience iron ore mining, concentrator and pellet plants. And my qualification is B.E in Electronic and Instrumentation.

I have some doubts:
1. Is it mandatory to have Pengg for getting a job in canada in the relevant field.
2. And taking is mandatory for experienced professionals also.
3. If yes can we apply and get the certification before landing in canada.

Pratikkumar

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London VO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2017
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
11-03-2017
AOR Received.
04-0502017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
10-09-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
17-04-2017
Passport Req..
30-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-12-2017
LANDED..........
30-04-2018
Dear Experts
I am a mechanical engineer (BE from India and MS Engineering from UK) with about 11.5 years of experience (10 years in India and 1.5 years in UK). I am also a Chartered Engineer (CEng) from IMechE UK.
I got a Canada PR and planning to move to Canada (Ontario) in Sep 2017. My educational assessment was done by ICAS Canada as Masters Equivalent in 2015.
I am thinking to apply for PEng in Canada, and would appreciate if anyone could help me with the following queries:

1. Can I apply for PEng from India , before landing in Canada? if not, when can I apply or should apply?
2. Is 1 year of Canadian Experience is necessary if I plan to apply for PEO? If yes, does it mean I cannot apply for PEng until I work for 1 year in Canada?
3. What would be the process to get the PEng? Do I need to first apply for EIT or my qualifications or experiences are enough for me to directly apply for PEng? Do I have to appear for any exams (if yes which one?) or there will just be an interview?
4. How long this PEng process usually takes from the date of application?

I Contacted PEO few days back and received following response:

Please be advised that the evaluation done by WES has NO bearing on your application to PEO. The WES evaluation letter clearly states the following in its own text: “WES does not evaluate professional ability. Only authorities qualified in the profession can determine whether an individual meets specific requirements for professional licensing or practice.”

We will not accept documents done by WES.

We have a program called the Engineering Intern Financial Credit program (please see our website, www.peo.on.ca). If you apply within 6 months of your landing date in Canada (this date would appear on your permanent resident card) and you have a bachelor’s degree in engineering then your application fee will be waived (i.e. no fee required). Please find attached the Engineering Intern Financial Credit Program application form once you are a permanent resident of Canada. For example, if your landing date on your PR card is June 2017 then you will have until the end of December 2017 to submit your application along with all the required documents to qualify for the FCP program. If you fail to provide us the required documents within the required time period then your file will be closed and if you wish to apply to PEO you will be required to pay the application fee of $339 (currently). You must mail us your application OR drop it off in person at our office. If you decide to apply before you become a permanent resident of Canada then you will need to apply the regular way and pay the application fee of $339. If you apply before you become a permanent resident of Canada then you are not eligible for the FCP program. Please find attached the licensing guide and application form if you are going to apply before you become a permanent resident of Canada.

Please be advised that PEO does the assessment for licensing purposes only.

The only programs PEO recognize are CEAB accredited bachelor’s degrees in engineering.

Since you do not have a bachelor’s degree from a CEAB accredited program (Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board) your file will go to our Academic Requirements Committee (ARC) for assessment and they will determine what technical exams are required.

If you decide to apply we require the following documents:

• Certified copies of your bachelor’s and any post-graduate degree certificates and transcripts of marks from every year of study. We require copies to be certified by either a Canadian Professional Engineer or an Ontario Notary Public; or, if you prefer, you may bring or send in the original documents as well as copies of the original documents. PEO will compare the copies with the originals and will return the original documents to you.
If the documents were not issued by the institution in English, official translations must also be submitted. Please note that official English translations are those prepared by, or certified by, translators who are members belonging to the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO). To find a qualified translator, you may call 1-800-234-5030 and they will assist you. Translations will also be accepted if prepared by, or certified by, a Canadian Professional Engineer who states on each page of translation that s/he is fluent in both languages and that the translation is an accurate representation of the original language document(s). Please note that P.Eng. licence holders should not use their P.Eng. seals on non-engineering documents. Transcripts and diplomas are non-engineering documents.

• Course descriptions of all your studies. Ideally, a calendar or catalogue issued by your school(s) covering the years in which you were in attendance would provide this information. Photocopies of the relevant pages would be acceptable, and it would be helpful if you would highlight the subjects and course descriptions. If you simply cannot provide this information, the next best solution would be for you to recall as accurately as possible the contents of the courses, and to provide typed pages containing the information. You must realize that this is not the most desirable situation, and the Committee will expect to see official write-ups when at all possible.

§ Please confirm, in writing (email is acceptable), under which discipline you want to be assessed. You can go to our website http://www.peo.on.ca/index.php/ci_id/2193/la_id/1.htm where you can review the disciplines and determine which one applies to you.

• A detailed experience record prepared according to the requirements outlined in the Licensing Guide and Application for Licence on page 10, section 7 or confirmation in writing that you have no engineering experience or less than 5 years of engineering experience. I have attached the experience record guide and form.

§ Documentation of Residency or Canadian Citizenship. A photocopy of one of the following documents would be acceptable, which can be sent by email or regular mail:

i) Canadian Birth Certificate;

ii) Canadian Citizenship Card (both sides);

iii) Permanent Resident Card (both sides)

Passports, Commemoration of Canadian Citizenship and Baptismal Certificates are not accepted.

As indicated in the General Information section of the application form, the name you provide on your application must be your full legal name. If you are submitting your Citizenship card as proof of Citizenship, PEO will consider the name that appears on the Certificate side of the card as the full legal name. The name on the side of the Certificate of Canadian Citizenship with your photograph is not acceptable, as this could be your chosen name and not necessarily your legal name. We will accept a revised name if you provide documentation confirming that the Registrar General (Ontario), or a similar authority, has approved the change.

• If you are neither a citizen nor a resident; photocopies of the following four documents are required:

i. Passport

ii. Work permit or visa

iii. Birth certificate

iv. Driver’s licence or health card

Sincerely,

Esther Kim

Senior Admissions Representative

Professional Engineers Ontario

101-40 Sheppard Ave. W.

North York, ON M2N 6K9

Tel: 416-840-1039

Fax: 416-224-8168

ekim@peo.on.ca[\QUOTE]

Pratikkumar

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London VO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2017
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
11-03-2017
AOR Received.
04-0502017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
10-09-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
17-04-2017
Passport Req..
30-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-12-2017
LANDED..........
30-04-2018
You can apply to PEO without curriculum and make sure transcript is in sealed envelope from the university.
Also consider to apply to APEGA instead of PEO.Once you have P.Eng from APEGA you can easily transfer to PEO under mobility agreement.

Jez
Hi Jez.s009,

Any specific reasons for recommending APEGA over PEO?

roger_cat

Oct 1, 2016
Hi guys! I have been reading some of the posts in this thread but I haven't found the information. Has anyone applied to P.Eng in another province/territory where he plans to settle. I mean, I am applying to PR and I have also heard about initial difficulties for P.Eng in Ontario (specially degree recognition and the necessity to take some exams), that's why I'd like to know if it's possible to apply for P.Eng in BC (probably smoother process) and then ask for a recognition of that P.Eng in Ontario.
Anyone? Is that possible or feasible?