+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice for CEC from Quebec

zarge

Oct 25, 2019
Hi everybody, I got my invitation to apply for PR last April under CEC. I already applied and I hope to get the decision by April next year.
However I still living in Montreal, I am thinking about moving out this September (or maybe Octuber), I have been looking apartments in Toronto (GTA) but I haven't taken any decision yet.

My current plan is to quit my current job in August (I am under a closed work permit), move to Ontario and applied for BOWP. If I understand correctly, I won't be able to work for like 3 months until I get my BOWP, but thankfully I have enough savings.

What do you think about this approach ? (I didn't move before basically because my job, I read about BOWP this month).

Is there anything I should be aware about quitting my job if I am under a closed work permit ?

Thanks.

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Hi everybody, I got my invitation to apply for PR last April under CEC. I already applied and I hope to get the decision by April next year.
However I still living in Montreal, I am thinking about moving out this September (or maybe Octuber), I have been looking apartments in Toronto (GTA) but I haven't taken any decision yet.

My current plan is to quit my current job in August (I am under a closed work permit), move to Ontario and applied for BOWP. If I understand correctly, I won't be able to work for like 3 months until I get my BOWP, but thankfully I have enough savings.

What do you think about this approach ? (I didn't move before basically because my job, I read about BOWP this month).

Is there anything I should be aware about quitting my job if I am under a closed work permit ?

Thanks.
If you applied under CEC on april last year and you still haven't received any decision yet, it is possible that what's holding your application is for some more proof of your intention to move out of Quebec. Have you already done that? What's your status on your GCMS notes? If you're still under eligibility review then it's very likely that. You shouldn't expect your CEC application to last 2 years, because if that happens your application has some serious issues.

If you're sitting and waiting for the immigration officer to contact you for that through a procedural fairness letter, personally I wouldn't recommend that approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla

zarge

Oct 25, 2019
If you applied under CEC on april last year and you still haven't received any decision yet, it is possible that what's holding your application is for some more proof of your intention to move out of Quebec. Have you already done that? What's your status on your GCMS notes? If you're still under eligibility review then it's very likely that. You shouldn't expect your CEC application to last 2 years, because if that happens your application has some serious issues.

If you're sitting and waiting for the immigration officer to contact you for that through a procedural fairness letter, personally I wouldn't recommend that approach.
Hi, I mean this April this year (2021). I understand that I haven't received any decision yet because they haven't reviewed any application of this year (they are still reviewing August 2020 https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html). The backlog is pretty big so I expect to get the final decision by next year (2022).

Sorry but what it is GCMS ? My last update was that I passed the medical exam, it also says that I don't need biometrics or an interview (yet).

Thanks.

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Hi, I mean this April this year (2021). I understand that I haven't received any decision yet because they haven't reviewed any application of this year (they are still reviewing August 2020 https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html). The backlog is pretty big so I expect to get the final decision by next year (2022).

Sorry but what it is GCMS ? My last update was that I passed the medical exam, it also says that I don't need biometrics or an interview (yet).

Thanks.
Oh ok, I misunderstood. Then it's ok for now.

GCMS notes are a good way to be updated about the progress of your application, without having to call the call center, where they'll give some generic answer. If the officer finds any concern about your application, you'll be able to read it on your GCMS notes. Right now it 's too early but I'd ask for one 3-4 months after your submission date just to check how is it going. Once you ask it will take 1 month more or less to receive it.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-to-order-gcms-notes-step-by-step-process.513893/

The closed WP doesn't technically forbid you from working remotely, as long as you don't have to work physically in a Toronto office and your employer is ok with that. I was in the same situation as you and I kept working for the same QC employer when I left Quebec, and I did it following the advice of others from the forum who did the same.

Reactions: adem68

zarge

Oct 25, 2019
Really ? , I mean I am worried because my closed work permit says "not authorized to work in any location other than stated". So I am afraid that working from Toronto (even if it is the same company) will get me into troubles. Well that would be the best option, this way I won't burn my savings.

Note: Thanks, I will check the link thoroughly tomorrow.

Martin Eden

Jan 6, 2022
Canada
Hi everybody.
I'm in the same situation: I've got closed WP and it says that I'm authorized to work in Montreal only. But my employer doesn't require me to visit office physically (at least at the COVID time).
@zarge May I ask you if you've moved from Quebec?
@lostinquebec Could you please provide more info about moving out from Quebec and working remotely from another province? Did you follow the procedure of moving out Quebec permanently(e.g. notifying SAAQ, RAMQ and all other offices that you move Quebec out permanently)? Or was it temporarily?

Last edited:

zarge

Oct 25, 2019
Hi everybody.
I'm in the same situation: I've got closed WP and it says that I'm authorized to work in Montreal only. But my employer doesn't require me to visit office physically (at least at the COVID time).
@zarge May I ask you if you've moved from Quebec?
@lostinquebec Could you please provide more info about moving out from Quebec and working remotely from another province? Did you follow the procedure of moving out Quebec permanently(e.g. notifying SAAQ, RAMQ and all other offices that you move Quebec out permanently)? Or was it temporarily?
Hi, I moved to Ontario last October. I didn't notify anything about my move, but I think I should.
I will do it, thanks for remember me.

bytenaija

Nov 11, 2019
Hi, I moved to Ontario last October. I didn't notify anything about my move, but I think I should.
I will do it, thanks for remember me.
Did you get your PR. My work permit condition is Toronto, but I have been working remotely since I came over a year ago. Can I move to a place like London ON and keep working remotely while waiting for my PR?

zarge

Oct 25, 2019
Did you get your PR. My work permit condition is Toronto, but I have been working remotely since I came over a year ago. Can I move to a place like London ON and keep working remotely while waiting for my PR?
I am not a lawyer, but I guess you can (unless your work permit has more restrictions).
I consulted a lawyer to be sure and she said it was ok, but every case is different.

Also I moved after my GCMS notes showed that they have concerns about my intentions,but you don't have that problem.

bytenaija

Nov 11, 2019
I am not a lawyer, but I guess you can (unless your work permit has more restrictions).
I consulted a lawyer to be sure and she said it was ok, but every case is different.

Also I moved after my GCMS notes showed that they have concerns about my intentions,but you don't have that problem.
Thank you very much for replying. I did confirm from IRCC twitter handle.

For the sake of others, this is what they sent to me:

"Hi. As long as you continue to meet the conditions of your work permit by working in the specified location, that should be fine"